It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
(female)

monkeymom HB Usermonkeymom HB User
Nerve Damage Pain

I have nerve damage pain. I do not know the true extent of it yet. The nurologist has not done a nerve conduction study yet. He has stated he wants to. He has me on 400mg of anti sezuire meds to control the pain. (head and eye pain) - plus twitiching and strange tingles and weird other things - He thinks I have optic nerve damage also. I am seeing a optic nurologist to evaluate that end of the spectrum.

The nurologist keeps trying migraine pills to calm the head pain. I have tried 8 different kinds. They do nothing for me. These are not migraines. Migraines leave. Migraines well, migraines - at least do not take over a year to leave! (and counting) - plus swollen optical nerves and stuff as that. Plus it would have been helped with the shot of demerol he gave in the office right if it was a migraine?

Anywhoo, how do I convey to this doctor that I am just at wits end with this pain - what is there besides narcodics and tylenol with bloodpressure meds that I can take to get rid of this stuff? I think he is avoiding the narcs for a reason... maybe I can't take them with the anti sez meds? I don't want to anyway, they are addictive and cause constipation... two things I had to go thru after decompression with hydrocodone!

Thanks!!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Nerve Damage Pain

just curious if they have ever actually done a good contrasted MRI on your brain at all? there just can be many other things that a person can actually have going on within the brain/head that could create what you are describing that should at the very least be ruled out at some point? just what do they feel the nerve pain is stemming from at this point? do they know for certain just what is causing the optics to actually swell? if per some chance they have yet to even do that one contrasted MRI on you just considering the symptoms, they really do need to now. marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #3
(female)

monkeymom HB Usermonkeymom HB User

What is considered a "good contrast" mri. I have had several contrast MRIs done. The current nurologist is not happy with the type of contrast dye, or the machine used - so I don't know if that is a good one or not. He wasn't happy with the detail of the reading either. Why he hasn't ordered one of his own is beyond me. I am all for whatever he wants to put me thru at this point. I am soo done with this pain!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

since this does not seem to be detailed enough, you are in luck if you can get to a place that has another type of MRI called a 3 T or3 tesla scan? they had to use this on my brain when they were trying to better define my brain aneurysm back in 2005? this particular type of scan actually uses three times the magnetism than the more standard MRI does. believe me, it did show things much more in depth and much more clearly too. i would ask your neuro about seeing if this would just be one possible he could try and track down for you? back in 05 i do know there were not alot of these types of MRI machines around(i am sure it is not as rare as it was five years ago now), but if there is one close by where you live, i do think this could be the ideal way for you to actually obtain that very best look in there right now. just something i know they used for me and it did not actually even require contrast. i have a kidney disease so i just have to decline contrast, thats why they actually sent me for the 3T in the first place actually. i hope this helps some. let me know what you find out. good luck,marcia

Closed Thread