It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
(female)

pmtest HB User
Appt in am

Hello everyone,

Its been a while and hopefully I am back. I have really missed the help and information I recd from here. I have been dealing with a lot, two deaths and my husband has a neck injury...

My pm called a couple hours ago and reminded me of my appt and also said "Would it be possible for you to bring all your meds in?" I said sure. Why would they ask this? I have got back up to going every 3 months which is great for me financially. They have never asked this before. I take 5 lortab 10/day, so I will bring in my bottle with 4 pills (because I will take one in the am). That is right, isnt it? If I am given a 28 day supply that I am prescribed 5 per day, that is what I should have left right? That just sounds weird they would ask this for my normal appt, now if they called me in the middle of the month and told me to bring in my meds that would make more sense you know? To be sure I had all my meds for that time period.

I know I freak out about this kind of stuff, but I cant help it. Hope everyone is doing well. My appt is first thing, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: Appt in am

It could be that they have changed their policy & will now require all patients to bring meds in to each appointment.

My pm doctor used to not require this, however changed the rules to make sure he is doing what needs to be done to keep the DEA from causing problems. He actually posted a notice in the office, and then had the office staff let patients know when they called to confirm their appointments.

I'm sure this is just a case of a policy change and wanted you to have them at the appoinment tomorrow.

I know it's hard not to freak out, but try not to. You have the correct amount of meds, so everything should be fine.

Take care & let us know how it goes sweetie!

PS- I am so sorry to hear about the deaths and your husbands neck injury. I know that is stressful enough to deal with. I'm sending positive thoughts your way!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

I think we can all relate to the sense of "dread" we start to feel when we think our use of pain meds might be called into question. It's so unfair that we have to feel that way. If my doctor asked me to bring in my insulin for some reason, the feeling of fear or worry would not be an issue and would not get a second thought. We will probably never have that luxury of being able to feel at peace with the medication that many of us have to have in order to have any quality of life. I find that very sad. Now you are going to have to be completely focused on this issue until you go to your appointment tomorrow and find out it was probably nothing at all. I bet you take your meds in and they don't even ask to see them. I'll bet ya!

I am so grateful that there is a place where we can offer each other support and understanding and know that you are not going to be judged because you need medication.

Best of luck tomorrow and please let us know how things turn out.

Bullymom

Old 04-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Makes you feel like a convict doesn't it? I'm with Bully. I bet that they don't even ask for the meds.

When my PM started the contract with his patients he had to argue with me because I was so insulted, until he told me it was to keep the low lifes that come it with little to no pain and keep requesting for the doses to be upped and upped. His comment to me was that he had trouble getting me to TAKE the meds... He is one of the top three script writers for No. VA. and he said that he keeps close watch on what he writes because the DEA would come down on him like bricks otherwise....

So just take it with a grain of salt and put on your big girl pants and smile nicely. You will do just fine. Can you take your hubby with you"? I find that an extra adult always seems to add a measure of security and normalcy..

Old 04-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

pmtest,

I hope your appointment went well, please let us know!!

bullymom

Old 04-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
(female)

pmtest HB User

Thanks you guys for your responses'. They are always right on!!!!! They did not ask for my meds at all, no strange questions, nothing!!!!!!

Yes Bullymom you are right I was so worried from the time I hung up with her yesterday till today after my appt. Wow what a relief!!

I hate feeling like this, I get soooo worked up before every appointment. Im glad that I go every 12 weeks because I can not go through this every month. Im a nervous wreck on the way there

Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

pmtest

So glad things turned out okay. Even though I was sitting there telling you everything was going to be okay.... I still had that little case of nerves for you. I guess it will always be that way. Easy to tell someone else to relax and it's probably nothing... when it's us being questioned, that is easier said than done.

Glad that appointment is over for you. Take care my friend!

bullymom

Old 04-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Hey Pmtest- I'm glad things went well. I too understand how you felt about that call and also how you feel every time you have an appointment. I do the same thing for like 2 days prior to every PM appointment I have. I don't know why because I follow the rules, and bring my meds to each appointment as required, but still for the couple days before my appointments, I get so anxious and worried that I almost can't think straight.

I think a lot of us are that way. I attribute it to the DEA, and all the stars who are dying because of the 10 different prescription narcotics they have sitting on their night stand when they die. Every time another star dies and prescription meds have anything to do with it, I get nervous. Seriously though? Why are WE made to pay the price for their problems? We "normal" people, the Joe-Schmoes, have to follow the rules to the "T" IF we are even lucky enough to get accepted by a PM doctor, you know? They (the stars) simply click their fingers, and the doctors are practically throwing endless amounts of numerous meds their way without a single care except for being in the good graces of someone famous. We have to be under constant scrutiny, we have to have pop urinalysis tests, blood tests, pill counts, you name it. We jump through all the hoops and follow the rules because we need these meds to function. When anything at all happens to threaten that, we get scared and panicked and it's a shame we have to live this way.

Enough ranting...I really just wanted to let you know I'm so glad it turned out ok.

Take care, and thanks for letting us know!

Last edited by ozzybug; 04-28-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Closed Thread