It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
(female)

mariannepain HB User
what is a dose for nerve pain/can vicodin help

what is a dose for nerve pain/can vicodin help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

inpain2 HB User
Re: what is a dose for nerve pain/can vicodin help

sorry to hear about your nerve pain. the best meds for that is gabbas,anti dep.s and lidoderm/ketamine cream.works like a charm for me. 2 better days!l

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Nerve pain isn't covered by your regular pain meds. There is a certain type of med that controls nerve pain. The majority of these meds were developed to control seizures, but found that a secondary benefit is that it controls nerve pain. The most common of them are, Neurontin, Topomas, Lyrica.

They all come with side effects. You just need to balance the side effects with the need for nerve pain relief.

Good luck.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

a big ditto on the ins and outs of what will usually not work and what does for most levels of real nerve pain. really great advice there.

i am just wondering what your nerve pain is stemming from? where is it and what is causing it to even be there? is this related to a spinal issue or something else? what any type of actual pain will and will not in most cases really respond to depends more upon just what other possible issues came along with the underlying nerve pain too? like and injury or inflammation can be sometimes minimized with certain narcotics when it is also invloving more 'normal' components that also would just add to the overall "intensity" of the nerve pain kind of thing?

as an example here, my RSD i have in my knee down thru my foot will not respond at all to narcotics, BUT the deep bone pain and some structural damage i have in there too DOES respond to my narcotics? but this hidious deep hot and cold sick burning that IS RSD pain and the hypersensitivity it has too, no way does that particular crap ever respond to any level of narcotic, and it does not matter what strength/type they are either. it simply does not respond to that opiate receptor within the brain at all.

simply knowing what the actual 'source' of your nerve pain is from would help us to really help you in all the best ways. Marcia

Old 05-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User

I am taking tegretol for my rsd used for nerve pain but mostly prescribed for siezures,
works pretty good. But I also take vicodin for breakthrough pain which is usually aching stabbing pain.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
(female)

swartzie HB User

Hi. Before I was diagnosed with severe cervical spinal stenosis and prior to surgery I was prescribed vicodin and ultracet. Both of those worked great. Before that I popped Advil and took more than the allowed prescription which did nothing to touch the pain (so I don't know why I bothered - it did help with my headaches). Something was lying on a nerve in my lower back and I had nerve compression. My PCP was worried I'd hurt myself because I wouldn't feel the pain and told me to be careful. After surgery, I was prescribed Norco. I had no problems coming off of them and believe me I took plenty. I do not have an addictive personalty. But the vicodin and norco and even the ultracet relieved my nerve pain. I don't think they did anything for my headaches!!!
Thank you.
Swartzie

Last edited by swartzie; 05-04-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
(male)

jverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB User

What's the source of your nerve pain? Have you seen a pain doctor or neurologist? While Vicodin might help, it's generally not the best first-line medicine for nerbe pain. Long-time use can lead to tolerance and dependence, and that's not something you really need to add to your worries.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

i too suffer from nerve pain, and also severe radiating pain from herniations and tearing in my cervical and lumbar areas-it also cause numbness in my fingers and lt great toe-the pain that burns down both legs is awful-my doctor has me on 60mg oxytcontin every 8hrs, 15mg roxycodin every 3-4 hrs and 2mg klonapin daily-this combo is giving me pretty good relief also in regards to the excruciating nerve pain-and boy i am truly greatful. but; i know everyone responds differently so i;m not saying this is what you should try-i'm just saying i have been pretty darn lucky this combo is giving me some much needed relief!

Last edited by BB07; 11-03-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:28 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User

I was going to ask what the source of your nerve pain is, too.
The vicadin does nothing for mine, as my neurologist is testing me now for a form of neuropathy. Both my pharmacist and neurologist say that the vicadins or percs are not for nerve pain--but for other types. Like pain after surgery--I have severe cervical stenosis and had a surgery when a disc was compressing a nerve and the vics or percs helped that pain. But they are not helping with the suspected neuropathy. Dr is giving me non-narcotic meds that work on nerves for that.

Have you gone to a neurologist?

Closed Thread