It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
(female)

lifeshard HB User
Pain dr quits, says I need Medical Pain Mgmt? what?

Well, my new PM doctor quit today. My husband came with me to appt, kept the dr long enough to discuss all my options. Steriod injections dont work for me, tried the trial stimulator, he wanted me to do the pump, but duh, then he tells me it will only help my pain below the waist. Well, I have had thoracic pain for over 4 yrs, just recently developed it in the love handles so pump would only help that, would still have to take meds, not worth it.
He told me I need Suboxone, he cant prescribe it to me, he is only Intervention dr, I need to go to Medical PM, what the hell? What's the difference and why that drug? He says it will give better pain coverage than hydrocodone. Any comments? Anybody had this drug? Looks like Methadonish which I couldnt tolerate

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
(female)

pmtest HB User
Re: Pain dr quits, says I need Medical Pain Mgmt? what?

I have never taken suboxone but my understanding is that there are only certain doctors that can prescribe it. They actually have to take a class or some kind of course to be able to prescribe it. Its mainly used for people to come off of narcotic meds (maybe all drugs, not sure) so I guess the docs need to really understand it. But it is also used to treat pain. I believe there is a website that will show you what doctors in your area can prescribe it. Just do a search on the internet and I believe you can find it. I have never taken it, so i can not give you advice there but I believe this is what he means by a medical PM. Hope this helps and good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
(female)

cmom3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmtest View Post
I have never taken suboxone but my understanding is that there are only certain doctors that can prescribe it. They actually have to take a class or some kind of course to be able to prescribe it. Its mainly used for people to come off of narcotic meds (maybe all drugs, not sure) so I guess the docs need to really understand it. But it is also used to treat pain. I believe there is a website that will show you what doctors in your area can prescribe it. Just do a search on the internet and I believe you can find it. I have never taken it, so i can not give you advice there but I believe this is what he means by a medical PM. Hope this helps and good luck
I very recently,( FINALLY), gave in and researched in finding a Dr. in my area who pres. suboxone. I forget how I got steered to a program called "Here to help" in Pa. Perhaps they are world wide and avail. in u'r area too. I'd try to google "Here to help.com" and I have to say they were above and beyond helpful. They had me stay on the phone while they contacted the Dr's. on the list in my area and persistently kept trying till they found one very close to me who is accepting more sub. patients (they have a standard govt. limit their allowed to treat/Dr.) They made sure they accepted my ins. and scheduled the appt. for me through the three-way call system. All I could think was WOW how helpful they were and I have my first appt. in a few days. They r a godsend program for anyone who is fighting a addiction. Hope they can help u too. God Bless u and yours.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Subexone is buprenorphine - in America, it is only used as a treatment for opiate addiction, but in England, Australia and Europe, it is also widely used as a strong analgesic (under the brand name temgesic in tablet form, and norspan in patch form)

It isnt related to methadone, and it is a stronger analgesic than hydrocodone, with a long duration of action.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
(male)

jgill22 HB User

yea the sub. help me with arthritis but im trying to get off that crap now. just like with everything it has side effects,and i think they over perscibe the mg so when you try to stop you have to do a tamper and that is as bad a heroin withdraws. don't get me wrong sub. saves lives but it a silent asswhooping that you have to take when and if you stop. I brake that 8mg pill into 6pcs and take 1 aday now but its hard to go any smaller than that.think about something thats not addictive if possible but that stuff dont work hu

Closed Thread