It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

CrochetFerret HB User
Profuse sweating with the Fentanyl patch

Checking in, still on the Fentanyl patch and still sweating.

My OB/GYN's nurse told me about a drug that helps with the sweating and I am trying to get my pain doctor to prescribe it. Her son is on Methadone for a back injury and he sweated profusely and his life was miserable. Anyone ever heard of Transdermal scopolamine?? It is a drug used for motion sickness, primarily for people who go on cruises. It is a small patch generally put behind your ear. It helps to dry up nasal secretions, people with drooling problems, it helps with that, it is even used sometimes prior to surgery to help dry up things if you are going to be intubated during surgery. And a plus side of it is, it greatly cuts down on the amount a person sweats.

I called my pharmacy to talk to the pharmacist about it and he was very familiar with the drug but had not heard of it being helpful with patients on Fentanyl and the profuse sweating problem but said he could see how it could be helpful with sweating. Also he told me my insurance probably would not pay for it but if it helps, I don't have a problem having to pay for it. He said it comes in a box of 4 patch and is just a little over $54.00. If it is helpful, I would pay twice that much for it.

Called my pain doctor and asked for a script to be called in for it. Hoping and praying he will do it.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Profuse sweating with the Fentanyl patch

Scopolomine is primarily used as anti-nausea and can be very sedating. It can also cause some dizziness.

I used it for a houseboat trip a few years ago and only used one patch as I didn't feel very ill. One night I woke up very nauseous so I did use one patch for a day or two. The next time I tried it for a long trip that included a bus trip through the mountains of Norway I found it made me dizzy but at a tolerable level (I would have become very nauseous as we took this huge bus through winding mountain roads so a bit of dizziness was preferable to throwing up in my husband's lap :-). I removed it that evening after that part of the trip was done.

I also would be concerned that it would affect the Fentanyl in terms of enhancing it (so you are getting too much effect) and adding the two together could be very dangerous.

I've heard many on the patch say that they get sweaty in the early stages, and this can be a bit of withdrawal from the oral meds (may have been stronger for you than the patch is providing). If it's ongoing I'd recommend you ask your doctor for a solution. You could mention you heard about Scopolamine from an acquaintance and is that ever an option.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread