It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
(male)

skip89 HB User
Prescription question

When I take my script to the pharmacy and get it filled what do they do with it? I mean the paper it self. Do they send it back to my Dr or send a copy back.
I will be going on vacation out of the country soon for a number of weeks. I want to know if my Doc, who I have a very good relationship with, can quickly look and see that I never refill before 29-30 days. Or should I try and get a record from the pharmacy.
I am going to ask the Dr for a early refill in case we are delayed in England. I live here in the USA, Pa. actually. Thanks

Old 06-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Prescription question

The pharmacy keeps a copy, and if it is a ciontroled drug, then a copy goes to the states dangerous drugs unit or the DEA - the scripts are not returned to the doctor.

However, the pharmacist can print off a record of your prescriptions, showing dates you got scripts and refils done if you want somthing to show your doc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
(male)

skip89 HB User

Ok then, as long as I am paying should I just see if my drug store will fill at 25 days or can I go to a different chain and fill. It is a LA schedule 2 med. I hate this stuff.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Be careful taking a narcotic with you when traveling overseas - customs agencies can get very het up about them.

At the very least, you need a letter from your doctor stating they are prescribed for you for medical treatment, and a copy of his prescription.

I'd also check with the consulates of the countries you are going to visit The UK isnt too bad (but still have a letter from your doc) but some other european countries will realy get ecited - An Australian woman was arrested and put in prison in Grece because she had a pain killer containing codeine (which is avaliable over-the-counter here in Oz) in her handbag

Last edited by jonnstar; 06-05-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I recently went on vacation and had my PM doctor write "vacation override" on the Rx form and it allowed me to fill it early. This information also gets sent to the insurance company so they know why it's being filled early and it also thus gets covered under insurance.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

I am going on vacation this month and my doc is giving me an early script. I asked about getting it filled in PA where I am vacationing and he said he doubted any pharmacy would fill it. I am hoping my insurance is going to allow an early fill for vacation. I heard they now need a call from the doc to authorize an early fill.

I remember back a few years ago when my insurance allowed 2 early refills a year for vacations. But now with the abuse they have made it very difficult. I won't get my script until the day before I leave and we are leaving very early. So my doc is not going to have a lot of time to authorize it. I hate this too!

Old 06-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

The ones that I got filled early two weeks ago, at the doctor's request, were Norco, MS Contin, Soma and gabapentin. From what my PM doc said is "vacation override for early fill" can be done 1-2x per year.

Luckily for me we have our RV in Northern AZ (Williams) and I live in Phoenix. I spend up to 10 days at a time up there. So if it happens again this summer I can get mine filled at a Walgreens in Flagstaff (which is 30 minutes away) since it's the same state.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I went to Japan over Christmas this past year. Let me tell you it was an ordeal. I neded to apply to the Division of Narcotics and something else.... I needed a lettre from my doctor stating why I took the meds and what meds I was on. had to fill out a form that asked for color, shape, type, made by, how many, bottle color..... then I had to get the approval back with the two colored stamps on it that I needed to bring the meds into the country....AND THEY DON"T DO E-MAIL. I almost didn't get my flight.....so check with the consulate on line before you go.All of the Class II narcotics that I take are illegal in Japan....

Old 06-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User

I know in california if it is a Schedule 2 narcotic, the Pharmacy keeps the original script on file for a certain amount of time.

I also know that in California, lets assume you got a script filled at Wallgreen and then on day 26 you take your new script to CVS, so long as your a cash paying patient, they will not have any way of knowing you filled a script at another pharmacy even if it is a Sch II.

Now if your insurance is one file, then based on your insurance showing your last fill, they will of course know when you last got a fill.

Regardless if you get a script and even if it is through insurance and your doctor allows for a vacation override, 95% percent of insurances and pharmacies would allow for the script to be filled. Especially if it is only a few days away from when it was scheduled to be filled anyways.

If you live in California and you just want to go pay cash and go to a different pharmacy then where your last script was filled, I would not worry about the phramacy having a record of any scripts you filled at a different pharmacy. (Maybe other states do have a database, but definitely not California)

Just make sure whichever pharmacy you go to, that they do not have your insurance card on file, otherwise they will automatically run it and will know when your last script was filled.

Again if you are only talking about getting your script filled a few days early and your doctor knows all about you getting it filled early. Then I would not stress about going into another Pharmacy and having the pharmacy say "Hey pal your a few days early", worst case you answer and say "Yes, I know that, but I'm going on vacation and my doc says that I can get my script filled right now, you can even call the office to confirm"

Hope this helps.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

I bake - Australia has similar (though less rigid and beuracratic rules) as do most countries.

The druugs arnt illigal as such, local doctors can prescribe them much as they do in the US. What is illigal is bringing them into the country. The law says that to have them, you need to have them prescribed by an Australian physician. In effect, yuo are applying for a permit to allow you excemption from the laws about importing narcotic drugs into the country in question.

I would be most suprised in the US allowed SII narcotics to be brought in by travelers without documentation and authority.

Closed Thread