It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
(female)

POLKSALADANNI HB User
Why are narcotic prescriptions written for 30 days when most months have 31 days??

Why are narcotic prescriptions written for 30 days when most months have 31 days??

Old 07-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Why are narcotic prescriptions written for 30 days when most months have 31 days?

In my PM doctor's case I have to see them once a month so I schedule my visit 25-27 days after the current visit. That way my prescriptions are filled every 30 days regardless of some months being 31 days. I just have to be sure to get an appointment that gets me in before the 30 days is up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Why are narcotic prescriptions written for 30 days when most months have 31 days?

i have a very different type of 'days" set up with mine being filled every 28 days instead of the 30, which i personally like, for alot of different reasons? but mostly, even like looking ahead even ten months from now, i will always KNOW that no matter what, my new cycle will ALWAYS start on a wed morning, always. its also much easier to count out looking thru the calenders for my next due date too so i can highlight them too(just a matter of dropping down the "day of the week and count that way)? i just have to also be seen within that time period to obtain my new Rxes too. but with having soo many things that i just cannot actually control or really predict in my whole sick medical situation, its kinda nice just having THAT one thing always very constant and predictable, ya know what i mean? also no hassles "should' my due date happen to 'fall' on a weekend, esp the extended weekend crap or other things that can screw things up just having your actual due dates constantly changing per the days on the calender itself?? some PMs just can be such a pain in the butt(almost anal??) when it comes to even getting your med Rxes written when you are due to run out over any given weekend or mondays, esp with some stupid holidays in there too? having mine always due in the middle of the week, i am never "right before a weekend" on a friday, or 'over' a weekend should there be any issues that need contact to the PMs office either.

i am kind of suprised that more PMs just do not do the 28 day schedule since i have also heard from the NPs and the nurses that this really does help save THEM time and actually help eliminate certain hassles too? personally i just do think it is an easier way to do things and to plan ahead for other stuff too? and that real 'predictability" factor for me, and not being able to control other things REALLY IS rather comforting in THAT sense? anytime, esp with my severe recurrant depression and other medical crap besides my spinal and cord crap going on, that i actually even HAVE a constant/predictable going on in MY life, really helps ME inside my head in certain ways? can't really explain THAT part, but for some reason its just a constant i KNOW will always be when other things can change for me in any given day in a freaking heartbeat? sorry for the ramble there. marcia

Old 07-05-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

My doctor always does the 28 days system as well. I find it easier that way as I generally always know when my next appointment will be and I'm sure it's easier for scheduling.

Most medications that are prescribed are prescribed for 30, it's not just limited to pain medications. It just makes more sense that way due to refills. For example my cholesterol pill is every 30 days, however, my insurance will pay for up to 34 days as a "month". That doesn't help much when a doctor prescribes it for 34 days as the pharmacy dumps it back out as 30 days and a partial fill.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

28 day schedule for me too. Makes things simpler if that is possible.

bullymom

Closed Thread