It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
(female)

truthseeker37 HB User
Is it logical to get a refill 5 days early?

I have chronic pain issues. As of now I'm on Lortab 10. I got my last refill July 15th. The instruction on the bottle says take one tablet by mouth 3 times daily as needed. This month I have needed more than the 70 pills I got. Let me see if I can explain this somewhat correctly. Since the instruction says I can take 3 a day, if I were to have done that I would have taken 3x24=72 I'm wondering since he only normally gives me just the 70 per month, is it reasonable that I would need a refill. I hate it that pain medicine is so taboo. It isn't like I take it for fun but I still almost feel criminal for asking for it. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Is it logical to get a refil 5 days early?

It all depends on your doctor and how he feels about pain meds. Your option would be to ask for a refill, or tell him that the Lortabs are cutting it at 3 tabs a day and what would he suggest? That way you have stated your case and left the decision in his court.

Good luck..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

I am thinking if you can take up to three a day, and don't normally but had to this month, that if you do call and like the person before me said, state your case...well that should be okay. If they give you a hard time, just say that you were following the directions and that you understood that you "could" take the 3 per day if needed. I am thinking you will be okay.......
Let us know and good luck!!

Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

If your doctor allows x3 a day & you needed to take the max. amount this month then I don't see where he should a problem. I would imagine it would depend on how long you have been with this doctor & on this med.

Is he a PM doctor?
As suggested you could always state you have needed to take the 3 a day & although this is not always the case you realize there may be months this will occur. If the doctor is going to allow you up to 3 he should write the script for 90. Not sure if you have monthly appointments but you could always bring your bottle in for a pill count if he's concerned.

Its not a comfortable world when your on pain meds. Its as though you have to prove yourself. I recently had to switch pharmacys for one of my meds, as my pharmacy could not get a hold of the generic I wanted to try. I explained to the new pharmacist why I had come to them for my one med & expressed my concerns of being treated like an addict. I let him know I had an excellant relationship with my other pharmacy & they know my history & have no concerns.

Instead of worrying about dealing with new people & my meds I just spit it out. I thought well whats the worst that can happen? All I was stating is this is not by choice & all I want is assurance that I'll be treated with respect the same as any other person coming in.
I think most of us can identify with how you feel.
Good luck & if you can let us know how it goes. Sammy

Old 08-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i too am a wee bit confused here as to why in the heck, if your actual rx states you CAN even take up to 3 per day that the script quantity does not even some close to matching that at all?

in almost every case where any doc actually even writes an rx for an "up to" amount, they would also calculate that quantity to actually match that max amount too incase you like 'needed it", but only if this is supposed to be an every 30 day type fill? if its not, then that would be very different. but thats just lacking any real common sense to max it at 3, but ONLY give you 70 pills on the script? is there ANY chance here that your doc could have possibley miscalculated that amount for the 30 day period this is alotted for, if this just IS a 30 day rx? i know my primary has done this before? just ONE possible reason for THAT nonsensical number there. i definitely WOULD double check that amount and what it 'should be" with him.

filling THIS particular script a wee 'early' would not pose any issues, or it shouldn't, simply considering there is not enough pills in the actual quantity if you actually had to do exactly what that script is simply written for in this particular case?

i just do not get THAT(lack of) logic at all really. i WOULD bring this up to your doc and simply mention that you HAVE had times where you would have run out of your meds had you been able to 'properly treat" according to the script, the actual levels of pain you were experiencing? then i would ask him "is this a possible miscalculation on the amount since it dawned on me one day that if i needed that max 3 per day and used it that way, i would run out of my pain meds wayyy before the end of the month"? something like that just to get that conversation going on the ridiculous amount of only 70 when 90 would make much more actual sense considering how this simply IS written by your doc?

just how long have you been on this? i am only asking since it IS always a possible here that when you brought in your script, esp if this is new and handwritten? that the pharmacist read the amount as 70 when it actually stated 90? it would not be beyond the relm of possibilities here to read/mistake 'those' two particular numbers just kind of looking the same except for a little 'loop' on the 90 and the way docs simply tend to write scripts, that it could have just been a reading mistake by the pharm and NOT actually what your doc really wanted it to state as 90 instead? just one thought here for what just sounds kinda stupid considering?

but i do think it would NOT send up ANY lil red flags to get THIS particular script filled now. it simply does not even contain 'enough' to even begin with if this IS supposed to be a 30 day Rx? but i would speak with your doc about the quantity here.this is just sooo kinda stupid to not cover what 'can' simply occur when you ARE allowed THAT many per day and that small amount on top of it? trust me, three per day is NOT a whole lot at all. i just hope YOU have not had to overly suffer for this stupid rx even being written the way it has been? it just defies any real logic at only 70 given the actual instructions, thats all. i hope you will bring this up in some way with your doc. esp if this IS a brand new Rx and could have been misread at the pharm? good luck with this hon, marcia

Old 08-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
(male)

August59 HB User

I was in the exact same situation about 4 -5 months ago. I could take up to 3/day if needed, but prescription was for a qty. 75 (not 90 as one would think). I checked with my pharmacist about refilling it from their prospective and he told me as it applies to refills it goes by dosage x qty. (75 / 3 = 25) thus I was given a 25 day supply. The Physician Assitant at my doctors office stated that they quite often write them that way because they feel like 3/day would be worst case, but everyday should not be worst case and you should get by with only 2 some days(???). I had to grin and bear it for about 2 months and when I would go in for my appt and they asked me how many I had left and I said none because I ran out 4 days ago. They finally increased the qty to 90. but a couple of months later he increased strength and dropped qty. back to 75. It's almost like they use it as a guage to find out exactly where your cutoff point is.
As it stands now with this doctor (and PA), if I ran out early they would get me a new prescription that day just because we have built a relationship up and I think there has to be a certain amount of trust there to.
Plus, if DEA would ever question it they could look at chart and see a diagnostic stepwise approach to the dosage that I am on and they could not question anything about my treatment. A lot of this crap is driven by the DEA and the doctors liabilty insurance carriers.
One of the nurses told me one time to always "state your case and don't back down, even if it takes a couple of months".

Old 08-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
(female)

charlottemiller HB User

I just started taking hydrocodone. The doctor prescribe 1 every 4 to 6 hours and gave me 120 pills. When can I get it refilled?

Old 08-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

He gave you the max amount for 1 month. 120 is enough to take 1 every 4 hours for 30 days. So you can't get a refill until 1 month is up.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Is it logical to get a refill 5 days early?

If you find yourself needing the max of 3 per day it may be time to ask if there is something that will work better for you. My Pain Management doctor added a Long Acting medication to my regimen (MS Contin) which I must take 3x/day to maintain a therapeutic level in my blood at all times. I have Norco for up to 3x a day but often only need 1-2 per day thus it lasts. The Norco are also scored so they can be split in half and I've done that sometimes just to take a 1/2 tablet instead of a full tablet. I had one month in which I nearly ran out and it was a month in which I realized I accidentally scheduled my next PM appointment for 5 weeks into the future instead of 4.

Often pain has led me to be unable to sleep. If I'm in a bit of distress at night time I do take generic ambien on occasion in lieu of taking my Norco or Soma.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
(female)

mcarter HB User

I get a rx for Lortab 7.5s every month...my dr usually gives me a 15 day supply with one refill. Is it logical to get my refill 6 or 7 days early? If so, how do I do that? I dont usually "run out early" but have this time and my pm dr is out of the country all the time due to traveling for his practice and I cant reach him to talk to him about "ok" my early refill. What should I do? I use CVS for my pharmacy! Thanks in advance

Old 12-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Go and throw your self on the mercy of your pharmacist, ask him/her if they will do a refil early. You might need to pay cash, as insurance often wont cover early refils. All you can do is ask

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 12-23-2010 at 09:49 PM.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
(female)

mcarter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
Go and throw your self on the mercy of your pharmacist, ask him/her if they will do a refil early. You might need to pay cash, as insurance often wont cover early refils. All you can do is ask
Any advice on what to say to the pharmacist?

Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

"I have chronic pain, and usualy my script lasts 14 days, but this last week, my pain has realy spiked, and i have needed to use more than usual, is there any chance I could refil early just this once?"

How many pills is your script for, and what are the doseage instructions on the bottle - you might nott technicaly be refilling early if you usualy take lass than the maximum dose, and have merely increased to the dose as prescribed.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #14
(female)

mcarter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
"I have chronic pain, and usualy my script lasts 14 days, but this last week, my pain has realy spiked, and i have needed to use more than usual, is there any chance I could refil early just this once?"

How many pills is your script for, and what are the doseage instructions on the bottle - you might nott technicaly be refilling early if you usualy take lass than the maximum dose, and have merely increased to the dose as prescribed.
It is 1 every 6 hrs as needed for pain and there are #57

Old 12-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

So if you have run out a week early, you have been taking double the prescribed dose for the last week (57 tabs over one week equates to about 2 every 6 hours)

All you can do is ask, the pharmacist could refuse, but he might be willing to help you.

Alternative (if your pain management doc is out of the country and uncontactable0 is to ask your family doctor to give you an emergency script to last for 1 week, he should let your PM doc know what he has done

Closed Thread