It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
(male)

riding27 HB User
How quickly can you get addicted to oxycodone?

I had a pinched nerve in my neck and was prescribed oxycodone. I was told to take 2 5mg tablets every 4 hours until the bottle of 30 was gone which ends up being only 2 1/2 days. After it was done i went 30 hours between doctors visits for another prescription and my whole body ached was sweating profusely and couldn't sleep none of which was there when only my neck hurt. The doctor then prescribed Vicodin saying he didnt was me to take any more oxycodone for risk of addiction. Having come off an addictive High Blood pressure medicine years earlier and experiencing withdrawls from it I told him I thought i was already addicted to the oxycodone after only 2 1/2 days. He assured me that was not possible. My question is - Is it possible to become addicted to oxycodone after only 2 1/2 days? And if so, is my now taking Vicodin only going to prolong the problem?

The Following User Says Thank You to riding27 For This Useful Post:
Suzy0513 (05-15-2012)
Old 08-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User
Re: How quickly can you get addicted to oxycodone?

I have never heard of anyone becoming addicted that quickly.... But you can get addicted to vicodin just like oxycotin or any other narcotic, so in that regard one really isn't any better than the other.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

There is addiction and then there is physiological dependence.

Addiction is when someone abuses the medication, taking more than prescribed, seeking out multiple prescriptions from multiple doctors, etc.

Physiological dependence is when your body is physiologically used to the medications and reacts when the medication is withdrawn or decreased, but you have not abused the medication.

After more than 2 years in Pain Management I have some degree of physiological dependence. It doesn't happen all the time but if it's cool in my home, or wherever I am, and I break out in a sweat I have to try to analyze if I need a Norco (like vicodin but less tylenol) or if there's something else wrong. Two weeks ago I got very concerned due to the sweats and body cramping even though I'd not altered from my pain meds as prescribed. I felt better, though my hubby did not, when we figured out he had the same symptoms and we had a mild version of food poisoning.

If I feel the possible 'sweats' from what I think is lack of medication coming on I will often take 1/2 tablet. However it's inconsistent. Yesterday I realized I had taken only 1 Norco that day and had no symptoms of physiological distress from withdrawal.

I do think about the day I may try to get off my meds. I am on Long Acting MS Contin 3x/day, Neurontin 3x/day, Soma 350 mg up to 3x/day for break through pain, and Norco 7.5/325 up to 3x/day. If I truly try to get off of all these I'll do it with the help of my PM doc.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
(male)

Brokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB User

A person can become addicted after the first time they take a drug, I guess. At least that is what is said.

Dependent? No.

The body's natural reaction to becoming accustomed to a narcotic, though, is to go into withdrawal (at high enough doses, and I think that 60mg a day for someone starting out would probably qualify as a high enough dose imo) when that substance is suddenly taken away.
That isn't addiction, it's just nature.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
(male)

man in MO HB User

There is no hard and fast formula for how quickly someone may become addicted to a medication. One of the major issues associated with addiction to pain medication is whether the user (abuser?) is really in need of the medication.

I have been told by more than one doc that if your body is truly in pain and one finds a pain medication that will work to alleviate the pain, then that individual usually will not become addicted as long as they use the meds strictly as prescribed.

I, myself, have been on oxycontin, oxycodone, soma and I'm currently trying Lyrica. I've been on the "heavy stuff" for over 2 years and have not had to up my dosage nor do I run out before the script runs out. However, I get no high from any of the meds, which I suspect is the exception, not the rule. Since I do not get any high from the meds, and they do help with my pain, I have no problem NOT getting addicted.

In fact, I've gone several days in a row without any meds on a couple of occasions because I was out of town on business and was asked to stay longer than anticipated, so my meds ran out. The only side effect I had was insomnia. Otherwise, I had no shaky hands, cold sweats, nausea, etc.

I think an individuals physiology has a lot to do with whether or not someone can and/or will get addicted. As I said, for me, taking something like oxycontin is no big deal. But, for others whose body makeup is different, they could probably get addicted before the first script runs out.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

There's a lot of studies out there looking at genetic predisposition to addiction. So part of the equation may be that. I feel blessed that I don't have a predisposition to addiction. Some former addicts may later develop a medical need for pain meds and that becomes a delicate balancing act.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
(male)

man in MO HB User

I agree with the balancing act. However, and I've told the doctors this before when I was at some of my worst points; I would rather be addicted to a medication that allows me to function like a human being than be completely drug free but be bed/couch-ridden.

My father has had a couple of back surgeries and a kneed replacement and they prescribed him fentanyl patches. When I asked him about them he was adamant that I not get on those. About 6 months ago the dosage of oxy wasn't doing it anymore and the doc asked me if I wanted to try the patch. I was willing to try anything at the time so I agreed.

The short version of the story is, I still have two patches left over from the first box I got (five patches/box). Point is, I used 3 and 1. I got no relief, 2. I got very frustrated trying to keep the @#$#@ing patch on for 3 days at a time.

To each his own. The patch just wasn't my thing. Still, I found it odd that my father was so against them. I suspect he got at least psychologically addicted and was concerned the same would happen to me.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

I don't consider myself addicted even after more than 2 years on strong meds (MS Contin, Soma, Neurontin, Norco). If I were to end them I'd go through some withdrawals because my body is physiologically dependent on them so I'd have to taper off medically supervised. This happens with non-narcotic medications as well. For example, people on seizure medications and some depression medications can't stop "cold turkey" because there's a physiologic dependence in their body so they have to taper off under doctor's direction to make sure they don't have any adverse affects.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

I have been on strong medication for some years and each time I changed the med or dose it took time to get used to it and even got some what dizzy etc trying to get used to it. In each case I persevered even though uncomfortable and found them good once used to the new medication. The same with the patch and I now have been using them for a couple of years successfully.
As far as coming off them I have accidentally forgotten to change a patch or take a tablet and have not not felt any withdrawal symptoms but my pain has just gotten worse and worse until I realised that I missed my meds and had to change the patch or take the tablets and take it very easy until the pain had settled down some.
So I don't believe I am addicted in the way an addict is but reliant on the medication to ease my pain just like taking Tylenol only stronger because I am in a lot of pain.
Allan

Old 09-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

The term addicted and dependent are being totally confused, being dependent doesn't mean addicted. Expierncing withdrawal when changing meds doesn't mean addicted. Did anyone go out and score some percs on the street because the doc switched them, An addict would. I've seeen enough addicts say they were addicted with the first dose, It was the escape from their reality they were lookng for and found, not physical pain relief.

You really can't compare the two, and their isn't a stead fast time llimt to develop dependence whether it's days, weeks, months or years. I'm sure it's much worse when you have been taking it for years and switch to something weaker, the bigger the decrease in strength the worse it will be, but that doesn't seem relevant in this case. Whether it's a patch or oxy doesn't make a difference either. Oxy is by far more abused than Fentanyl because it's more commonly prescribed. Not because one is more addicting than the other. An addict is going to abuse despite the strength, dose or form it comes in because the last dose will never be like their first.

Did you abuse the oxy, , did it cause more harm than good, did you do something you never would have morally considered to get more? Or did you simply feel the difference and report it ?

Good luck , Dave

Old 09-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by man in MO View Post
There is no hard and fast formula for how quickly someone may become addicted to a medication. One of the major issues associated with addiction to pain medication is whether the user (abuser?) is really in need of the medication.

I have been told by more than one doc that if your body is truly in pain and one finds a pain medication that will work to alleviate the pain, then that individual usually will not become addicted as long as they use the meds strictly as prescribed.

I, myself, have been on oxycontin, oxycodone, soma and I'm currently trying Lyrica. I've been on the "heavy stuff" for over 2 years and have not had to up my dosage nor do I run out before the script runs out. However, I get no high from any of the meds, which I suspect is the exception, not the rule. Since I do not get any high from the meds, and they do help with my pain, I have no problem NOT getting addicted.

In fact, I've gone several days in a row without any meds on a couple of occasions because I was out of town on business and was asked to stay longer than anticipated, so my meds ran out. The only side effect I had was insomnia. Otherwise, I had no shaky hands, cold sweats, nausea, etc.

I think an individuals physiology has a lot to do with whether or not someone can and/or will get addicted. As I said, for me, taking something like oxycontin is no big deal. But, for others whose body makeup is different, they could probably get addicted before the first script runs out.
Most long-term users of narcotics who genuinely need them for pain, don't get high after the initial few weeks. Your body begins to tolerate the narcotics, and the side effects ease up. This is when your body becomes dependant on the meds. After a while, it becomes normal for your body to have the narcs, which is why the highs tend to go away. That, of course, is not addiction.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

I'm not sure about that as I know what it is like to get high as I was an alcoholic and a pot user for 25 years and I have never got high on the medication I take. I got a little dizzy when increasing the dose but that was not a high. It left after a bit. And I don't assume to know when I am dependant on it either. I may need to reduce my medication slowly after my operation if or when the pain eases at all. Also I have taken anti-depressants for 4-5 years but then reduced the dose slowly when I stopped taking them because my doctor and I agreed they where not making a lot of difference to my recovery. So I don't know how much difference there is as I was shaky then.

But hay I haven't stopped taking my medication completely because I am still in a lot of pain. I do hope that one day in the future I can because the only benefit I get from it is pain relief but I also get side effects. It would be good to remove the side-effects definitely.

Allan

Last edited by allanbruce; 09-12-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

I too never experienced any kind of high from the pain meds. I would have some dizziness or fatigue but that's all.

Closed Thread