It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

squarebox HB User
help me figure out what is wrong

I am frustrated because I have been having pain in my hip area......I went to the dr and had Xrays and he told me the Xrays looked ok. I thought I had arthritis in my hip, but he said no. He really didn't do anything to help me. Isn't it great when the dr tells you what it [I]isn't but doesn't tell you what it is??
Anyway I have a feeling that the pain has more to do with a back problem rather than a hip problem. I feel it most when I am laying on my back. The pain is in the outside of my right hip. I feel like there is weakness when trying to move my leg, especially to rotate my leg outward. I don't have any pain or loss of range of motion in my left leg. It is not excruciating, but it is enough to make it difficult to get comfortable and sleep. I sometimes take 2 ibuprofin and it doesn't help.
When I am out and about during the day, I don't really feel it much, until I sit down for awhile, then try to get up.....Then I feel pain and weakness in my right hip. It's hard to straighten up at first, but after awhile it feels ok.
I hate to go back to the dr because I don't like being told my Xrays look ok, so I must be just fine. I thought maybe I could learn something here from someone who may have had a similar experience. I probably will end up going to a different dr if things get much worse but in the meantime, does anyone have any idea what is causing this and what I could do about it?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User
Re: help me figure out what is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarebox View Post
I am frustrated because I have been having pain in my hip area......I went to the dr and had Xrays and he told me the Xrays looked ok. I thought I had arthritis in my hip, but he said no. He really didn't do anything to help me. Isn't it great when the dr tells you what it [I]isn't but doesn't tell you what it is??
Anyway I have a feeling that the pain has more to do with a back problem rather than a hip problem. I feel it most when I am laying on my back. The pain is in the outside of my right hip. I feel like there is weakness when trying to move my leg, especially to rotate my leg outward. I don't have any pain or loss of range of motion in my left leg. It is not excruciating, but it is enough to make it difficult to get comfortable and sleep. I sometimes take 2 ibuprofin and it doesn't help.
When I am out and about during the day, I don't really feel it much, until I sit down for awhile, then try to get up.....Then I feel pain and weakness in my right hip. It's hard to straighten up at first, but after awhile it feels ok.
I hate to go back to the dr because I don't like being told my Xrays look ok, so I must be just fine. I thought maybe I could learn something here from someone who may have had a similar experience. I probably will end up going to a different dr if things get much worse but in the meantime, does anyone have any idea what is causing this and what I could do about it?
Thanks in advance for any help!
>>>>>> Since x-rays don't show soft tissue problems, you might learn more with an MRI. See if your doctor will order one. If not, you probably should find an orthopedic doctor to look into this before the problem gets worse.

Carol

Old 08-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: help me figure out what is wrong

Sometimes sciatica is felt first as hip pain since the sciatic nerve is in that area. When I first saw a doctor in college for "hip pain" they found in my hip x-rays that I had a vertebrae slightly out of place (spondylolisthesis) and it was impinging the sciatic nerve. So it was never hip pain it was back problems. Then this year I had horrible hip pain but have been fighting knee problems. My hip problem is likely from iliotibial band syndrome (runs from hip to outside of the knee). So hip pain can certainly be just a sign of something else.

Closed Thread