It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
(male)

lapistola HB User
Do pharmacies notify the prescribing Dr. when a script is filled??

I take pain meds for chronic arthritis pain. few months ago my Dr post dated 3 months worth of scripts. Last month I though I had lost them, and he wrote me another script. I have since found my script that was post date for this month. My question is if I can still fill this script even though I had the one he wrote me filled a couple weeks ago? I mean I'm sure I could actually go to walgreens to fill it, but (A) would Walgreens red flag it, (B) contact my Dr, (C) neither.... and what If i just took it to another Pharmacy?

To clarify, I do not abuse these. I have a legitimate need for them. I have never distributed, sold them or anything. However I do run out early sometimes and It would be nice to have a backup supply.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Do pharmacies notify the prescribing Dr. when a script is filled??

I guess it would depend on what insurance you have and how closely they pay attention to how much of a certain med one can have at any given time...

I think your doc could be flagged for writing double prescriptions.

You could possibly call the doc and tell him and ask if you can just give it to the pharmacy to put on file for future refills.

or

you could just shred the old prescription.
q

Last edited by quincy; 09-13-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
(male)

lapistola HB User

I don't have insurance at the moment, so when I get scripts filled, I pay cash.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

i understand the temptation, <edited>.

q

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-14-2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Please respect the privacy of other members.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
(male)

lapistola HB User

well I still don't have an answer. I just need to know simply, after a pharmacy fills a prescription, does the filled script get returned to the prescribing doctor?? Like would my doctor know if I had it filled? Are they returned, like a check is after its been cashed by the bank and you get it back at the end of the month?

Old 09-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

In the state where I live there is a controlled substances registry. Every script is entered and the Drs look it up when refilling scripts to make sure it isn't too early or to see a pettern.

I wouldn't fill it. I'd bring it to the Doc at my next visit to show trust. One red flag of drug abusers (I'm not saying in your case) is "loosing" scripts and needing replacements.

JMHO

Pup

Old 09-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

No, the pharmacy is required to keep the paper copy on file so it is not sent back to the doctor. Do what the other poster said, let him know you found the first one and ask what HE wants you to do with it.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
(female)

Ayvah2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapistola View Post
I take pain meds for chronic arthritis pain. few months ago my Dr post dated 3 months worth of scripts. Last month I though I had lost them, and he wrote me another script. I have since found my script that was post date for this month. My question is if I can still fill this script even though I had the one he wrote me filled a couple weeks ago? I mean I'm sure I could actually go to walgreens to fill it, but (A) would Walgreens red flag it, (B) contact my Dr, (C) neither.... and what If i just took it to another Pharmacy?

To clarify, I do not abuse these. I have a legitimate need for them. I have never distributed, sold them or anything. However I do run out early sometimes and It would be nice to have a backup supply.
The last paragraph shows that your pain meds are not working adequately. It is not ok to just take more than what is prescribed because that can have negative effects on your liver or kidneys. If you are running out early you need to talk to your doc about being prescribed something stronger. Pharmacies do contact the doctor if they have a concern about a script. If you are taking the medication as prescribed, how are you running out early?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
(male)

lapistola HB User

I run out early because some days I take more than others. I get 120 a month which in 30 days allows for 4 per day. Some days I take 6 due to above average pain caused by work I do which requires me to carry heavy camera equipment and be on my feet for up to 12 hours at a time. This causes me to run out early when I take more than the allotted 4/day.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:33 AM   #10
(male)

Brokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB User

I can't speak for certain, but if you fill that other script I would imagine it might be the last one you ever get from that doctor.

The pharmacy will know, trust me. And, at least in my state, when my doctor pulls up my records on each visit they have an entire list of what I had filled and when.

I wouldn't even mess around with it. Tear it up or give it back to your doctor, imo.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

I agree with brokend and, Is it worth taking the chance of that being the last script you fill for months or even years? If your state doesn't already have a data base your doc can acces at any time, regardles of insurance, there is one in the works. It seems if your pain is not properly managed than you deed to discuss it with your doc, not take this opportunity to get over on him because he replaced a lost script when most docs simply wouldn't do it. those of us with contracts know that lost or stolen meds will not be replaced, nor will meds eaten by the dog, that fall in the sink, that their visiting neighbor or plumber stole. It's your job to protect the script in the same way you would a bottle of pills.

Would he ever believe you again if he does find out? There are things you can do to improve your own situation, If you know you have days that are going to be physical, what do you do to prepair and increrase your strength and endurance, How often do your excercise to strengthen the injured area, stretch, use relaxation techniques, have interventional procedures done like TP injections, steroidal injections , or use other modalities aside from relying totaly on opiates.

The fact you work hard is just a justification for what you want to do when the right thing to do is return that script and discuss your present TX plan with your doc if you feel your under medicated or need a few extra a month for the bad days. I saw at least a dozen PM docs over 8 years between during and after 3 major back surgeries before finding a single doc that prescribed pain meds for chronic pain. How many docs have you seen before you found a doc wiling to prescribe, If you don't want to start all over with a red flag on your name, a bad referece fromk your previous doc and no cetainty of even equal treatment, I wouldn't spend more than a few seconds considering doing something that would clearly get me discharged without a taper plan or referral to another PM doc that would be willing to prescribe given that scenario. Return the found script to your doc so he knows you had been honest, don't even keep it for some potential rainy day that could have equally catastrophic results. He might actually believe you next time should anything like that ever happen again.

Your doc gave you the benefit of the doubt, when most wouldn't. Why prove him wrong and risk what medication you are entrusted with now. If it was hard finding a doc to treat you pain it will be even harder after being discharged for something that would look like clear deception on your part.
Hope your able to make the right decsion, Dave

Old 09-16-2010, 03:40 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

It's something I would NEVER do, it goes against the trust you've established with your Doctor. And it sounds to me that you really need the medication for pain management and you wanted to do anything that would cause you to be dropped from your current.

Definitely, give him back the script. That way he knows it has been recovered.

~ Fiona Jo

Last edited by Fiona_Jo; 09-16-2010 at 03:45 AM.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

In NC the scripts do not get returned to the doc like "checks" but the pharmacy keeps a very close eye on whats been filled and when and the dates of the scripts. They would never allow a duplicate script to be filled. Personally I can't believe that your doc postdates narcotic scripts, that's a major no-no. I definitely would NOT fill that script, you should either give it back to your doc or shred it. It's not worth the chance of getting in trouble or not being able to get your meds.

Perhaps it would be a best if you spoke to your doctor and told him that your meds are not covering your pain and they need to be increased. Keeping a stockpile or extra's of these meds for bad days, is never a good idea, its easier to get in trouble with these drugs than people realize.

Good luck and take care.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

agree with the others. If you get it filled you are going down a very dangerous road. You could jeopardize your ability to have your pain managed for a very long time. You need to find a way to manage what you've got. I know how hard it is. I get 4 a day, too and some days I end up needing 8. That means I have to really conserve on other days, but you have to do it.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

I wanted to stress something Shoreline said in that most of the pain docs would not give you a replacement script. It sounds like you have a gem of a PM doc so I would return the script to show him you are worthy of that trust.

Closed Thread