It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
(male)

vzeo1154 HB User
what is the difference between oxycodone and percocet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: what is the difference between oxycodone and percocet

Both are/or have oxycodone in it, Percocet has additional tylenol. Their is no diference as far as the opiate except for the nuber of mgs of oxy depending on the stregth of each version.

Last edited by Shoreline; 09-15-2010 at 10:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
(male)

SadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB User

I believe that Perocet is just a brand name for Oxycodone. For example when you go to the pharmacy and say I want the brand name Oxycodone they give you Percocet, or if you get the generic it is just called Oxycodone. I don't know off the top of my head what the requirements for generic medication are, but i think it only has to be like 80% of the effectiveness of the main brand. Scary huh!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

They Actually Make plain oxycodone tablets and capsulesthat don't contain any tylenol. The brand capsules are called OxyIR and come in 5mg and 10 mg capsules. The brand tablets are called Roxicodone, They come in 5mg,10,mg,15mg and 30 mg tablets, the generic will just say Oxycodone HCL. Percocet is brand Oxy and tylenol and all it's generics will say how much oxycodone whether it's 5, 7.5 or 10 plus 325 mgs of apap "tylenol" in each Tablet. Tylox is Oxycodone with 500 mgs of tylenol in capsule form. Percodan is Oxycodone and aspirin in pill form. It just isn't prescribed as often as it used to be due to stomache irritation. Their is also a product that is a mix of oxycodone and Ibuprofen, just can't think of the name right now. It contains 7.5 mgs of Oxy and 200 mgs of IBU.

Their are lots of choices, with and without other pain relievers in the mix, Docs that use them long term for chronic pain, tend to use the Oxy products that don't contain other pain relievers, whether it's Tylenol, Ibuprofen or aspirin. Pure form Oxy doesn't cause organ damage where too much Tylenol can cause kidney and liver damage when used in high doses.

Aspirin and IBU have blood thinning properties and may not be a good option for people with other disorders. When you get into high strength pain meds, none conatain tylenol or any other adjunct med. They also make a liquid versions of most products whether it's percocet with tylenol or plain Oxycodone HCL called Oxyfast or Oxydose or the generic versions. Just a little more FYI. The higher dose products allow more pain medecine without the damaging effects of high doses of tylenol.
Dave

Old 09-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
(female)

Lavender Lady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzeo1154 View Post
Percocet is a combination of oxycodone & Tylenol. The usual dose prescribed is Percocet 5/325 or 5mg Oxycodone Hydrochloride & 325mg Acetaminophen (Tylenol.) It is a very effective pain med. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread