It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
(female)

kwhitte HB User
wonderful doctor gone

Hey all I found my doctor over 10 years ago on a board like this! I cannot believe he died and I am back to square 1. I am afraid I will be in hell again because I cannot believe there is another like him. also due to a stupid mistake i made i cannot leave indianapolis to see a doctor (mine was in houston) anyone have a true doctor in the indy area? thanks kim

Old 09-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
(female)

helplost HB User
Re: wonderful doctor gone

I am in in the same boat. I cannot believe this compassionate doctor is gone; I felt so lucky to have found him. I do not know what to do. I went through so much to get to see him and now I am also back to square one. I can not find another doctor to help me, my PCP is not willing to help.
I found him on a pain support site like this 9 years ago.
Thanks, DDL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
(female)

kwhitte HB User

were you a patient of Dr. Hochman (i was)

Old 09-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
(female)

helplost HB User

Yes, I was. I wish there was a way for other patients to help each other out. He was a tireless advocate of pain relief but there is no one to help us as we struggle to find other pain doctors. I know he did not want to leave us like this.
I went through years of bad experiences and doctor after doctor giving up on me. When I found him, I finally began to trust there was one compassionate doctor. He kept telling me that even if I moved out of Houston, he would still help me. He worked with individuals from all over the US and even from other countries.
He would not want us to suffer like this. I have tried my PCP with no success I was scheduled to see him yesterday so I am out of meds.I work full time and he helped me handle my disabling pain. I just found out Wednesday evening that he had died. He always said "life is not for amateurs" and you don't get a medal for suffering.

helplost

Last edited by helplost; 09-24-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: additional information

Old 09-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

why dont you try asking your pharmacist-i'll bet they know who the good/bad ones are;
any how i think that's what i would try first-since they fill meds from all types of doctors ; i would think a pharmacist could be a wealth of info

good luck

Last edited by BB07; 09-25-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
(female)

helplost HB User

That is a thought. My pharmacy is like a small town pharmacy even though it is in the middle of Houston. Plus, it is one of the few pharmacies that filled the type of medication I need; most pharmacies do not even stock these meds.Thanks.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
(female)

pawnee HB User

He was my doctor also. I had been seeing him since 2000 and now I am still trying to find another doctor. The office sent us to another doctor, but she has chickened out and will not see anyone. They referred me to another doctor and a friend of mine that was going to Dr. Hochman was able to get in right away. I called and the staff is giving me problems. I am so scarred and don't know what to do. I am in the same boat.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
(female)

helplost HB User

I know what you mean. I called the doctor the office referred me to but she does not have an opening until early December and only if she reads my records and accepts me. I have called several doctors and as soon as I told them I was a former patient of this wonderful doctor it was amazing how fast they told me they were not taking any of his patients. I realize that he had a very large practice, now orphaned.

The other concern is the very large payments the doctors I called wanted--$400 plus and no insurance accepted. I work part time so I barely could afford the wonderful doctor. I am concerned that his patients will be taken advantage of since they are needing help.

Another problem is that his office is officially closed and medical records are difficult to obtain--with a signed release only. I had collected so much records when I first saw him in 2001; MRI and CAT scan reports plus records from numerous doctors I had seen before him. What if his office does not release the records? I had really good insurance in the past but redoing all those CAT scans and MRIs would impossible for me to afford now.

He died 6 days before I was to see him and so now I have been 2 + months without medication. I have not had withdrawals just pain. It is true that a true pain patient does not have withdrawals; only the incredible pain without relief.

I saw improvement in the quality of life, now I am irritable and struggling to work. Quality of life is so important.

I wish I knew the answer; I was afraid he would retire but he loved his work.

Pharmacists are not helping either. My primary care physician only helped me if I had a kidney infection or broken bone but always told me he would not give me anything beyond ibuprofen. It seemed as though there was support from doctors at first but I guessed I missed my chance. I did not know he had died until the day before my appointment; other patients may have had better luck right after he died.

I am so sorry you are struggling like I am. I wish there were a support system to help us find other doctors. He was an angel and I miss him so much. I enjoyed talking to him every month, listening to his travels and positive encouragement.

I wish money weren't an issue but it is.

Last edited by helplost; 11-09-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: made mistake

Old 12-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
(male)

Detroitrockcity HB User

Sorry to hear this--I know how tough it is to find a good PM staff to support you. I'm fairly new to all of this and my doctor and nurse staff has been excellent, they go beyond just prescribing painkillers or not giving you painkillers and figure out what can help-toradol shots, etc, and I am not afraid to go into that office and ask for what I need. They are very trusting and while hopefully my problem will go away soon I would recommend this office anytime.

Closed Thread