It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #16
(male)

Jason55 HB User
Re: Embarassed by Pharmacist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne1971 View Post
I've been on Hydrocodone 5/325 for quite a while. I filled my last prescription of on 9/20/10. During my last visit, my doctor changed the prescription to Hydrocodone 10/325. I turned in the prescription on 10/1/10. The pharmacist questioned the prescription and wouldn't fill it until he spoke to my doctor. My doctor told them he changed the prescription and to go ahead and fill it. When I picked it up, I was told by the pharmacist that I just filled a prescription and should have plenty left. And that it doesn't look good on my record to fill it so soon. Excuse me? I couldn't believe what I was hearing. These were two different prescriptions, not refills. And different dosages of Hydro. First of all, I was embarassed by his comment and felt belittled. Second, if the doctor prescribed it, is it really his business to question it? And lastly, is he right? Does this look bad on my "record"??
I would file a complaint with this pharmacy and go to another pharmacy. You are right: How can a prescription look bad on your "record"? Are they keeping records to grade us on now? Pharmacists are becoming self-important asses and think they have a right to lecture people now.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Jason,

Every pharmacy keeps a record of every script that you bring in to be filled. This allows them to make sure you aren't taking something that interacts with another med wrong. AND your doctor can call that record up if he so desires. And it isn't the parmacists that started this, it's gov. mandated -at least here in VA.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #18
(male)

alan1023 HB User

In this case the pharmacist is completely out of line. He's basically saying that you can take two 5/325 pills instead of one 10/325, until you run out. He's advocating that you double the amount of tylenol you take each day. Definitely not cool.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #19
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

My doctor has switched mg when I find it necessary. There are times I take a lower dose percocet more often, because I need to and there are other times I take a higher mg less often depending what is going on with me. SO far, not one person at my pharmacy has spoken on this.

I understand about drug interactions and that is why I use one pharmacy. I understand that our records are in the computer, but what I don't like is HOW things are said to people at times. If you doctor makes a decision for you, and it is obvious that you are not doing anything wrong, then I think (just my opinion) that the pharmacist should keep his personal opinons to himself. Saying it hurts our record or reputation, in my eyes, is not necessary.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #20
Inactive
(female)

patty6789 HB Userpatty6789 HB User

Hmmm, I seem to be on the other side of the fence here.

Perhaps he was trying to save you some money? Perhaps he was concerned that your INSURANCE RECORD would show you getting the same type of medication twice in a month and that the ins co. would not pay for the script? In SOME cases, you can double up on a perscription that has had that dose increased and save money.

Unless you are leaving something out of your story I don't see the big deal. You may be over reacting a bit.

In my little ole opinion, the parmacist has a big job in many of our lives. I am GLAD when mine questions something he finds out of the ordinary or draws something to my attention that I may not know.

(2 cents)

Old 10-30-2010, 06:51 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Perhaps I'm wrong but I would hope any pharmacist would think a patient is safer taking 325mg of Tylenol over double that amount. Same with the insurance. Either way its the doctors job to watch out for the patients safety.
Especially if the patient may be on meds long term. although we know it does have to be long term to harmful for some.

My insurance will not cover the 10-325s & I hate taking the 2 5-325s. Even my doctors nurse commented on the stupidity of the insurance only covering the 5s over the 10s. The insurance not covering the new script is a totally different story.

I know how important the pharmacist's role is in my medical care & value their advice. I also know how important a good relationship is with your pharmacist. Perhaps its not so much what the pharmacist said but how he said it.

There is such a stigma with pain meds & I don't think anyone stops to think anymore that most patients are on these meds because they are in serious pain.
There will always be those who abuse & make it hard for the rest of us.
With all the abuse its more about the meds then the patient. How sad is that.
Who wants to live in pain every day? I'm sure in most cases CPers are going to be a bit more sensitive about treatment & comments by others, especially anyone in the health care field.

I had a couple pharmacists that took the time to get to know my situation & spoke up if they had any concerns about my meds. I did not take offense because I knew if it was it about me not the meds.

The pharmacist has a right to comment & the patient has a right to expect the comment made in private & in a respectful manner. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 10-30-2010 at 06:55 AM.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #22
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User

Unfortunately, there are just too many buttheads working as pharmacists in this world. I have had numerous problems with some and I just stare them in the eye, say thanks very much and never give them my business again! Money talks!

I've never understood the above and beyond some of them go to to beelittle their customers. They have a duty to check things out and then just "do their job" and that's it. As you can probably tell, this is a very sore subject with me and the bottomline is that they prey on the exact patients that don't need to be harrassed.

The Following User Says Thank You to mju58 For This Useful Post:
CP LIFER365 (11-02-2010)
Old 10-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #23
(female)

CP LIFER365 HB User

For a minute, I almost thought this was my story. ha! I had a horrible encounter w/ a "big-chain" pharmacist. This happened when I first entered pain mngt. I had been going there just under a year. I remember it being late in the evening on the day my meds were due to be filled. I was just about out. I pulled up to pick up the medication and the pharmacist came to the window (there were several customers waiting in line behind the counter ON the inside) and he came to the window and said HEY, I refuse to fill this medication any more. "Haven't you seen the reports in the media?" (barely spoke English!!) and I said, of course I have, but you don't understand why I'm taking this medication!" I have a legitimate need for it and it's prescribed w/this in mind and I'm under CONSTANT doctor supervision!" He barely let me speak or get a word in. He continued to YELL at me!! Everyone in the store was wide eyed!..&some-- jaws ended up on the floor. lol He through my script in the box and pushed it out...and said I am not filling this anymore!! I've filled it for awhile, but NO MORE! I went home and cried and the next day...started withdrawals. My husband went to a few pharmacies and told one (mom and pop) about my situation and the reason I was on the meds and they said WOW she's lucky to be alive. They have been there for me and this is 8yrs later. My doctor called and filed a complaint and the rep. said they were going into that pharmacy to do an investigation!! Shweww, I hate reliving that scenario. IT WAS HELL!

Last edited by Administrator; 11-16-2011 at 12:17 AM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: CP LIFER365
Boxerluver (11-02-2010), mju58 (10-31-2010)
Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #24
(female)

CP LIFER365 HB User

I guess we're all in this together bonded by one issue or another. This is supposed to be the year of relief for chronic pain sufferers, but nothing has changed.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #25
(female)

AverageUser HB UserAverageUser HB UserAverageUser HB UserAverageUser HB UserAverageUser HB UserAverageUser HB User

"Going on your record" is a detrimental remark, not a helpful, "Do you want to delay filling this until you finish your current med" or, "Be careful to watch total intake" advisement. It makes me think of the cheaters who scream at their spouses for cheating. I wonder what's NOT on HIS record?

I don't care if fear of his license is a motive, his professionalism was lacking.

With the benefits of time and previous posts, I might come up with a HIPPA-related reply, like, "Doesn't this company honor its own HIPPA policy? Where's the manager?!" ... Comments such as his should remain private, if given at all. IMHO, HE violated federal law.

The Following User Says Thank You to AverageUser For This Useful Post:
CP LIFER365 (11-02-2010)
Old 11-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I agree, where is the concern for privacy. Meds don't have to be mentioned by name when statements are made such as that.
There are times whether it be with pharmacists or doctors they forget they are providing a service for fee. We are paying them, not the other way around. Do you honestly want to pay someone to treat you with disrespect? I guess it does not hurt for some to be reminded of this. There is never a good reason to embarrass or invade a persons privacy.
As I stated before its hard enough to live in CP & I think because they can't see or feel our pain they don't give one second of thought to how they treat someone.
Anyone who does this type of thing does not need to deal with people period.
Sammy

Old 12-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #27
(female)

CP LIFER365 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mju58 View Post
Unfortunately, there are just too many buttheads working as pharmacists in this world. I have had numerous problems with some and I just stare them in the eye, say thanks very much and never give them my business again! Money talks!

I've never understood the above and beyond some of them go to to beelittle their customers. They have a duty to check things out and then just "do their job" and that's it. As you can probably tell, this is a very sore subject with me and the bottomline is that they prey on the exact patients that don't need to be harrassed.
Ya know your right!! You know what I believe the core problem is here with pharmacists?? Some just have the Napoleon complex! lmao!! They sure feel mighty big messing w/ poor down and out CP patients and the very meds they need to walk from point A to Point B...(if they even can walk?) the very circumstance their A$$es take for granted! Oh but look out...oh how the tables DO TURN? (:

Old 12-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #28
(female)

amichelle HB User
Smile Re: Embarassed by Pharmacist

Always remember one thing Pharmacist are replaceable!! Don't suffer and be disrespected by anyone there job is to fill your prescription and make sure you have not got any questions or concerns. If they want to check with your dr okay, yeah they have that right but, to add there 2 cents without u askin is crosssing the line and you gotta stand up to them let them know that you have no desire to hear there input. Honestly, if your medicine comes with a leaflet on the side effect and directions for use then they should filll your prescription, take your money, smile, and be thankful that they have a job and that they are not in pain. I was going to a pharmacy and the lady always gave me this look when I gave her my script, I am sure we all know the look!! What drives me crazy is who are they to judge. I want to say, '' just do you job and stop worring about me". Anyways, this pharmacy obviously had a tech. with a problem because my script began to come up short. My husband was thinking I was taking to much medicine and it was causing alot of problems. So, one day I walked out of the store handed them straight to him and he counted them amd much to his surprise my oxycodone prescription was 16 pills short. One or two I can understand but 16 seems a little odd and the month before I was two days short which is 8 . I put my medicine in a 4 week divider anyone who takes medicine daily can understand the frustration of getting home and being two days short on your medicine knowing the Dr will not see you til your day and that the chances of the pharmacy believing u is very slim. After the third time they did this to me, and each time I called in and reported the problem, of course I always heard the same thing "We double count our prescriptions" i always sit and watch the people and I have seen there ideal of double checking , one person fills the script while the other person dumps them in there hand and puts em back in the bottle no counting. Maybe the other person has some special powers I am un aware of but, regardless I was sick of it. So i made some calls and was put in touch with the DEA. I explained my situation and the next time i got my script an agent went in with me i asked the lady at the counter if they double checked my script, of course her response was yes, every time. I said that I've had several prescriptions come up short and have called into report it each time, which her response was that if i leave the store there is nothing she can do so, I was very nice and asked if there was somewhere icould "triple check" my prescriptions The tech offered very quickly to double check them again but, i said no I will do it I dumped my medicine on the counter where the cashier showed me I could and I began to count out loud ,with the agent, cashier, pharm. tech and head pharm. watchin, i put them in piles of tens and hoped that I wasn't fixin to look like a fool but, I was short 10 on my oxycontin and 14 on my oxycodone needless to say I was all smiles because, for three months I suffered and was treated like a damn liar. The DEA stepped in and made them look up my complaints and see who had been fillin my prescriptions and she was fired and was very lucky she didn't have charged filled against her. The pharmacy gave me all the ones I called in to report missing and after that I would say they learned how to double check a little better. I wouldn't know I switched Pharmacies after that. One day these Pharmacy techs will be in pain of there own and get to see how bad it hurts and how aggravating it is to have someone judge you because you are getting pain medicine. Keep your head up and stand your ground and if they still are rude , disrespectful, or do anything to make u uncomfortable take your prescription else where til you find a place where people have a little respect for there customers!!!!!! After all its your money.

Last edited by amichelle; 12-09-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: mispelled words

The following user gives a hug of support to amichelle:
mju58 (12-10-2010)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amichelle For This Useful Post:
mju58 (12-10-2010), Toonces1 (12-09-2010)
Old 12-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Wow, good for you for standing up! There is one pharmacist who always acts suspicious of me when I come, so I avoid getting my scripts filled when I know he is working (I figured out his schedule). I got my long-acting and break-through filled at the same time, as I usually do. The cashier asked me if I had any questions and I said NO. The pharmacist came over anyway and pulled me aside. He told me what the prescriptions were (as if I didn't know) and said I shouldn't take the short-acting one when I'm taking the long-acting one. I was confused, I always take the long-acting one - that's the whole point. He said, you won't need this one (BT oxy). He also told me I couldn't drive on any of them, even the tramadol. I thought "how do you think I got here?" I just stared at him, made note of the shift he was working, and make sure never to get them filled on Sunday nights. It's crazy to think of the lengths we go through....

Closed Thread