It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
(female)

Lynne1971 HB User
Embarassed by Pharmacist

I've been on Hydrocodone 5/325 for quite a while. I filled my last prescription of on 9/20/10. During my last visit, my doctor changed the prescription to Hydrocodone 10/325. I turned in the prescription on 10/1/10. The pharmacist questioned the prescription and wouldn't fill it until he spoke to my doctor. My doctor told them he changed the prescription and to go ahead and fill it. When I picked it up, I was told by the pharmacist that I just filled a prescription and should have plenty left. And that it doesn't look good on my record to fill it so soon. Excuse me? I couldn't believe what I was hearing. These were two different prescriptions, not refills. And different dosages of Hydro. First of all, I was embarassed by his comment and felt belittled. Second, if the doctor prescribed it, is it really his business to question it? And lastly, is he right? Does this look bad on my "record"??

Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
(male)

Brokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB User
Re: Embarassed by Pharmacist

It's certainly within the pharmacists rights and even their duty to call a doctor and be sure on something like that when prescriptions overlap. If it's the same doctor, then no need for alarm but a CYA call is fine. If it's a different doctor prescribing the scripts, then the pharmacist SHOULD be making the call, sure.

However, anything after that, he or she needs to keep his or her mouth shut, fill the prescription if all is legit, smile, say thank you and see you next month.

The fact that you may or may not have plenty left or how it looks on your record to the pharmacist is between the pharmacist and the doctor, and if the doctor gave the pharmacist the ok, at that point the conversation should be over, imo.

There are plenty of pharmacists that like to play the prejudiced, smug busybody role rather than just doing their job though. It's a shame.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
(female)

michellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB User

Don't let him make you feel bad you obviously need the medication and if he is that judgmental I would be looking for another pharmacist, I take a lot more medication than that.... my pharmacy is great he does not judge me and I take A LOT more several pain meds along with muscle relaxers and antidepressants. It took a few tries to find the right fit for a pharmacist for me..... just don't make them make you feel bad, your doctor put you on the medication as long as it is not interacting with some other medication or is going to adversely affect you then he should not be that way to you! Sorry I have been judge by a pharmacist and don't like it. I hope that you get this worked out sorry for the long reply.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User

You need to set that pharmicist straight. Is it a small town? Anyway, I would go back in there and explain that you know the guidelines and please fill your script or you will not be back. He needs to know he can not dictate lives. searchin

Old 10-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

If that pharmacist is not the head one, you speak to the head pharmacist and explain the issues you have had with the other one. IF he is the only one there, then you go to the store manager and file a complaint. Trust me, he will change his tune. Stores can't afford to lose business because of an attitude from an employee.

It is not within his right to belittle you or to make you feel that you are a criminal. You don't deserve it. kick some butt!

Last edited by Administrator; 11-16-2011 at 12:08 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ibake&pray For This Useful Post:
AverageUser (11-02-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
(female)

happyhbmom HB User

The "record" he is talking about is the one your doctor gets. The only one who it would look bad to is him, or another doctor you might have in the future. But since you had the prescriptions and assumedly an explaination in the chart, it should be OK. I think the pharmacist was out of line and making medical decisions for your MD. (he probably thought you should have taken 2 of the 5s and just dealt with the extra tylenol, but he doesn't have your medical history).

Old 10-07-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

That is absolutely ridiculous. It was a complete change in your prescription/dosage - so of course your Doctor gave you a new prescription and the Pharmacist completely "over stepped". I would definitely file a complaint with the Pharmacy Manager and with the store manager. You should never have been treated that way.

I'm so sorry this occurred. I hope you get satisfactory resolution to this situation.

~ Fiona Jo :wave;

Old 10-07-2010, 05:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Hydrocodone is a narcotic. In my state the prescription cannot have refills.

If you have doubled down on it that may flag your record for the Feds that check for prescription abuse.
The pharmicist was trying to warn you about it.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Some times its not what is said but how you say it. The dosage was different & there for it should have been filled as it is a new script. Yes a pharmacist has the right to question but in a respectful manner. My PM has done the same wrote a script for the same med but different dose & I brought up the fact that the pharmacist may question this but he said its a different dose so don't worry about it, they can call if they have any questions.

Its in your best interest to take one 10/325 over 2 5/325 & as a pharmacist he should know this. This change could have taken place for reasons that are between you & your doctor. So he did not handle this well at all. I would not let any pharmacist get away with this. You can call or better yet put in your concerns in writing.
This change could have been made due to recent blood work for all he knows, why should he question you in that manner.

Ive had a pharmacist speak to me out of concern but she made it clear it was concern & she trusted me. It was the high dosage she was worried about not my med history or refill history. It was not what she said but how she said it.

Many of us have had attitudes from pharmacists & my husband stepped in & spoke to mine. He said I did not want to be on these meds & through no fault of my own I'm a CP patient. Since then Ive had no problems what so ever. In fact its been the opposite. They will go out of the way to help me if they can.
I had to start purchasing a certain generic from another pharmacy. The new pharmacist let it slip that he has spoke to the other pharmacist about me, as he knew where I had me other meds filled. He also found the other pharmacist had no problems with me.
I hate dealing with new pharmacists but this will always occur unless you go to an independant.
The relationship between a customer & pharmacist can be really important & its a shame tha certain pharmacists have to have attitudes. I told my pharmacist I was searching the best generic as I was not reacting well to the meds, so I might be a pain in the rear. He said your not a pain in the rear its the ones that come screaming for early refills & making demands. I guess they have their own stories to tell but each customer should be treated with respect. Good luck, Sammy

Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
(male)

Brokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinL View Post
Hydrocodone is a narcotic. In my state the prescription cannot have refills.
It must vary from State to State then. I thought it went according to Schedule I, II, III, etc. and on a nationwide scale. In my State you can refill Hydrocodone but not Percocet.
Doesn't make much sense to me, but whatever works for them I guess.

Anyway....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne1971 View Post
When I picked it up, I was told by the pharmacist that I just filled a prescription and should have plenty left. And that it doesn't look good on my record to fill it so soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinL View Post
If you have doubled down on it that may flag your record for the Feds that check for prescription abuse.
The pharmicist was trying to warn you about it.
I disagree here. If indeed the pharmacist was just trying to warn you then he would/should have said so. I seriously doubt this was a friendly, brotherly warning (while not bothering to tell you what he was warning you about? Yeah right.)

I'm all for giving most people the benefit of the doubt if they deserve it or if it's questionable, but this pharmacist didn't sound to me like he was trying to be your buddy. I'd take the advice given about talking to his boss or someone higher up within the management if it's a chain pharmacy, though.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
(female)

happyhbmom HB User

Based on federal law, only Schedule II narcotics can't be refilled- schedule III (such as hydrocodone/acetaminophen combos) can be refilled. If there is any control on refills it's a state thing.

That said, a lot of doctors won't refill hydrocodone by choice.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

There is one pharmacist at my pharmacy that is always suspicious of me, and I make sure to avoid getting my meds filled when I know he's working.

Also, I have had a dose of my pain meds changed mid-month, too, and my pharmacy never questioned it. I have increased my dose twice mid-month and it has always been treated as a completely new script. I don't think the pharmacist should have expected you to double your dose, especially with the double dose of tylenol. Although that's still under the max, it could be dangerous if you had liver problems. I think he/she was out of line. I might say something to the manager, if there is one.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User

I hope you will post in and let us know what you did about this matter, it could help someone else that doe not know what to do in this situation.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Sadly the DEA has doctors and pharmacists running scared. Pharmacists have been fined and struck off for filling perfectly in order scripts that turned out to be for pill scroungers.

Give the guy another chance, if he does it again, then complain - tell him that you are filing a legitimate script filled by your regular doctor, and you dont see any reason to be made to feel guilty over it, and more than someone filling their blood pressure script does.

I am glad to say that in Australia, our DEA typ agency is only concerned with illigal narcotics - the control of legal opoids rests with the health department, and a much more reasonable attitude prevails, it is patent centered, not police/law enforcement centered like the DEA is.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #15
(female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User
Lightbulb Re: Embarassed by Pharmacist

I once had a pharmacist question why I was on prednisone AND percocet. I was like "You're second-guessing my doctor, seriously??"

Closed Thread