It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2001, 09:51 AM   #1
Unregistered

Chronic discomfort

Six months ago, life as I knew it ended. I suffered a severe trauma to my left ear which eventually developed into eustachian tube dysfunction. I have been appalled by how this unbearable condition is treated as minor and tolerable. My ear feels constantly swollen and tender. This by itself is an intolerable discomfort driving me up the wall every waking hour. On top of all this, I periodically endure a maddening snapping sensation in my ear while swallowing. It is twenty times as severe as in the right ear. Sometimes I get a maddening twitching and thumping sensation which has driven me to madness numerous times. The very worst symptom is when I feel a very unpleasant hollow sensation in my ear where I hear myself breathing. Then the eustachian tube slams shut, popping the ear drum. All this constant torment has been destroying my life for the past six months. I can't do or enjoy anything without this condition ruining it. My biggest problem is that while the discomfort is very severe, the actual pain ranges from mild to moderate. As a result the doctors don't see a reason in prescribing me a strong pain killer even though I know this will help me tolerate the symptoms. It was only after a lot of convincing from my father (a good witness to my suffering) that my doctor agreed to give me 30 mg codeine/acetaminophen pills twice a day as needed and 0.5 mg clonazepan pills twice a day as needed. These are only for when the worst symptoms occur, not for the constant everyday discomfort. I am also taking Voltarin for inflamation and pain and Serzone for the resultant depression. The codeine and clonazepan pills really do make the symptoms more bearable. As it stands now, the only thing that can save my life is this condition going away to let me live again. People already have a hard time getting their chronic pain recognized as debilitating. Chronic discomfort is even less understood. Everyone has a hard time understanding how much I am really suffering.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2001, 11:14 PM   #2

dayna5 HB User
Re: Chronic discomfort

Nathan,

I am so sorry that you are going through this all. I so much agree with you about the annoying pain that never goes away, or fear of it coming on strong any minute. It is so hard for pain to control or lives. I wish that we could get it back. Sometimes I get so aggrivated, because there are so many cures for so many complicated diseases, that I wish that they could find some kind of cure for pain. I am sure that pain is there for our own good, to let us know that something is wrong...but it would be so nice for them to be able to shut it off somehow. Hey we all have to dream. The only thing that I can say, is that you are entitled to proper pain relief and your doctors should be able to make you comfortable. If he is unable or unwilling, maybe you can find another doctor. Ask your doctor if he can refer you to a pain management clinic. Ask your doctor how he would feel if he had a really bad toothache, all the time, never letting up. How would he feel? I am sure he would make sure he was comfortable.

I hope you have a wonderful night. Sweet dreams Nathan.

Dayna<p>[This message has been edited by dayna5 (edited 07-22-2001).]

Old 08-12-2001, 04:09 PM   #3
Inactive

Lberde HB User
Re: Chronic discomfort

Hi Nathan,

I can sympathize with you. last year I developed a nasy ear infection, it took 3 rounds of antiobiotics to cure it. I went to 2 ENT'S and they kept giving me different drugs ,one gave me prednizone for ETD, and pain pills, than I got a CT scan of my ear and head that was normal. have you had a CT scan of your ear?
maybe you have a benign tumor on your eustation tube? pls find a new ENT DR. my ear pain took 6 months to go away and I still get sharp pains in it when I walk in the cold. I am so sorry your going through this, I think you need a new DR who can offer another alternative.

Closed Thread