It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2001, 07:34 AM   #1

Joseph77 HB User
Experiencing Problems sleeping with painkillers

I sometimes have problems sleeping when I take my meds before I go to bed. Instead of make my drowsy they keep me awake for a while and when I do fall asleep, they sometimes give me really bad dreams, that are real lifelike. For example last night, I felt that I could not breathe at all, and that I was suffocating, then suddenly I was breathing again, it seemed so real though, because I was conciousance again when I could breathe, not in the "dream" state.
Any information would be appreciated.

joe

Old 03-16-2001, 07:53 AM   #2

PatG HB User
Re: Experiencing Problems sleeping with painkillers

Hi Joe: Remember I told you that painkillers sort of wake me up.....it almost sounds like you are in a kind of half awake sleep that makes you dream strange dreams. . been there, done that! In that type of sleep, because you are not really asleep properly, it is like you are awake and these dreams are real! Also, however, on your pain meds, while you are awake, do you feel like you are having a little problem breathing? If so, I've had that and it was because the pain meds were too strong for me. (it was MS contin, timed release morphine that did it to me, I received that when my low back locked up and put me into agony). I now take a combination of pain stuff at night. I would ask your doctor for neurontin, about 300 mg. for night time. It is a anti-seizure med and you CAN take it with oxycontin. However, you should be aware, it will put you to sleep and sort of give you the "spins". It has been 4 weeks for me on this drug and I still get woozy (spinning) from it. If you don't care for that, another alternative is nortriptylene for night time, along with the oxycontin. I only take 10 mg of that. If I take any more than 10 mg, it seems like it wakes me up more. I am a hard person to put to sleep, so I can relate! Keep us informed, take care, PatG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2001, 12:34 PM   #3

Joseph77 HB User

Thanks for the advice I'll talk to my pm doctor about it.

joe

Old 03-17-2001, 10:51 AM   #4
Inactive

david c1 HB User

Hey Joe , It's not an uncommon problem. For some reason some of the opiates do cause sleep difficulty. The most common way to deal with it is to use one of the sleep inducing antidepressants. They are safe, None abusable and help with pain and mood. I would think your new PM doc would have covered this. Many docs use antD's for the treatment of CP. They are beneficial in several ways. Good Luck, David

Closed Thread