It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2001, 12:18 PM   #1

walkingpainhere HB User
David need to talk with you

I read that you have a daughter on the other thread. I wanted to ask you a few questions if that is ok.

My first one is, My wife and I are getting ready to try to have a baby. The question is that she is worried about me being on these pain medications and that it could harm the baby. My doc has assurred us that there is no reason for me to go off them because the male only passes genetic material for the egg. I am thinking about bringing her to my pain doc to have him tell her the deal, and also ask her Ob/Gyn. Does that sound like its on the money? It doesn't matter if I am on opiates does it?

The other thing is like you know I am pretty beaten up. My shoulders are pretty bad and so is my back. I have gotten pretty out of shape since my accident and all these surgeries. I am wondering if I am going to be able to keep up with how demanding a baby will be in the house. Do you think I will be able to step up to do this? Or do I really need to suffer and build up my weakened body because of how demanding this might be?

I am pretty nervous to say the least. We want to have kids so bad but my physical condition has always been the monkey wrench in the gears.

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2001, 01:30 PM   #2
Inactive

david c1 HB User
Re: David need to talk with you

Hey Steve, I think it's a good idea to have your wife go to your PM doc and for you to go to her GYN, That way she will here it from two docs that your genetic materuial wiil not be damaged by the opiates. You may have lower testosterone levels from the use of opiates making it more difficult to become pregnant. I would certainly have it checked if you have noticed a change in your Libido since starting opiate therapy.

Will having a baby change you life, you betcha, you sleep patterns will be whacked for a good 6 months and that will increase pain, You will have yto help more arond the house and have more resposabilities that coould effect your pain levels . To me it's worth it. I would love to have another child but it would be totally fianancially irresponsable. I know we can't afford it and I know I don't have the energy to participate the way I did with my daughter. You will rise to the occasion, no pun intended. If it were not for my daughter I probably couldn't have made it through all this. She's been my reason to keep going even with the poor prognosis I have. I would start getting in shape and become as healthy as possible, you will need your d=strength and so wil you wife. The days of wife's doing it all and you just going to work and coming home to the Paper and the news are over. With all that said I would say go for it. It's a wonderful experience and can give tremendous meaning to your life.

We planned our child, sounds like your doing the same. Hopefully you will be in a little better shape and be able to help when needed, do your share of late nights and sleeples nights. Be prepaired to be tired and nerves shot but it's still worth it. JMO Good luck, David

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2001, 03:05 PM   #3

walkingpainhere HB User
Re: David need to talk with you

The only thing that we are lucky about is that we both have really good paying jobs.

What you addressed is pretty much everything I am worried about. The biggy is that it will shoot my pain levels sky high. Which I think all that bending over will do. I can do some but its the repetition of it that will really do a number on me.

And I am not going off pain medicine again. That was about the stupidest thing that I ever did. A lot of family pressure and it landed me in a world of pain. That just sucked. I won't go through that again, I would rather be dead then walk around in that sort of misery. My left shoulder is so nerve damaged that I cannot even stand to lay on it or have someone even touch it in the gentlest of manners.

Oh well thanks.

Closed Thread