It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2001, 12:32 PM   #1
Unregistered

Patulous Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

I am suffering from intermittent patulous eustachian tube dysfunction in my left ear. This was caused by botox injections I received on the roof of my mouth to get rid of myoclonus/muscle spasms of the middle ears. While this is not actually a painful condition, the discomfort is maddening. I can't hear myself talk or think due to the maddening reverberation of my voice. I am trapped in a sense because the medical community does not recognize chronic discomfort as severe as chronic pain. My life is at a standstill. The only things I can enjoy are watching TV, sleeping and smoking. I can't work or study because this condition is so unbearable. Is there anyone who has visited this board experiencing a similar condition as mine? Are there pain killing drugs that can also alleviate extreme discomfort? I can't drink alcohol because I am taking 2 mg clonazepam 2 to 3 times a day and 30 mg codeine/acetaminophen 5 to 7 times a day. These drugs help alleviate or stop these muscle spasms I get in my ears. Even smoking seems to play a role in preventing muscle spasms in my ears. Unfortunatly, the only way I can stop the patulous eustachian tube dysfunction is by lying down flat on my back or placing my head between my knees. These remedys only work for about 1/2 an hour to a few hours. I can't spend my life as a vegetable because of this extreme discomfort. Any replies would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2001, 12:33 PM   #2
Inactive

david c1 HB User
Re: Patulous Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

Hey Nathen, I'm sorry I haven't written back. Your email came at a rough time around my house. I am sorry the injections have worsened the problems.

I'm not sure why you refer to your pain as discomfort. I really don't see the difference. Yes there are diferent levels of pain and discomfort but whats excruciating pain may only be discomfort to you. If you give the exact pain stimuli to 10 different peole they will all report diferent levels of pain. Don't deminish your own pain. If it's altering your life style I think that crosses the discomfort line into the pain zone.

When I think of discomfort I think of shoes that are too tight or the novacaine shot in dental work. Discomfort can be relieved without a ton of intervention. Pain is much harder to deal with and treat. Try not to deminish your pain or suffering by comparing it to anyone elses. Good luck, David

Closed Thread