It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2002, 10:07 PM   #1
Inactive

EricaSue HB User
Cool Ultracet for pain??

Hi there, I was given the drug Ultracet for severe back pain yesterday. I have no idea what I did to my back but am assuming it has a lot to do with the other problems I am experiencing right now with my muscles. (they are working on a diagnosis).

Anyway, has anyone taken this before? Does it make you sleepy? does it work?
All I know is that it's part Ultram and part Tylenol.

Erica

Old 08-04-2002, 12:25 PM   #2

RX4FUN HB User
I am on Ultracet for chronic pain (Thoracic Outlet Syndrome). It works really well for me. It does make me really sleepy, so I usually only take it at night. It can also make you pretty dizzy so make sure you stay home the first few times you take it, until you know the reactions! Also, it CAN be habit forming, so be careful. This is usually for short-term use only! I can't take anything for pain because I react to most of it. This is the only one I can tolerate! Works for me!

RX4FUN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2002, 11:10 PM   #3
Inactive

igy76 HB User
i had an odd and short experience with ultram. i'm one of the ones (because i know there are people who don't) who, when i use vicodin for pain managemnt, in addition to the relief, i get the high 'euphoric' feeling. when i was trying different meds for my back problem, my dr tried ultram with me because he was worried at the amount of vicodin i'd been on, and here's the weird part. i still got some of those "high" feelings, but it didn't take the pain away. i didn't understand that. perhaps needless to say, i shortly went back on the vicodin. good luck

Old 08-11-2002, 08:57 PM   #4

zx24u2c HB User
i've been on 200 - 400mg of ultram a day for 4 yrs and the only problem i have is sleepyness and a ringing in my ears at night,
P.S. the generic for ultram is out it called tramadol

------------------
John, Ft.Worth,TX.

Old 08-14-2002, 11:33 AM   #5

joyfulk HB User
Thumbs up

Hi,

I've taken Ultram (tramadol) for four years now for pain in my feet. I wish I didn't have to take it but if I don't, I can hardly stand to get around. I take the maximum dosage - 800 mg. per day. I do well on it except for constipation occassionally but it usually isn't really that bad. I'd love to correspond to anyone else who has taken it for a long period of time. I do worry about the long term side effects.

Old 08-15-2002, 01:42 PM   #6

awkie HB User
I was taking Ultraset but soon found out it didn't mix well with my antidepressant. I became very ill for several hours. So be careful if you are using an antidepressant with it.
Awkie

Old 08-16-2002, 12:14 AM   #7
(male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User
I took Ultram (tramadol) for several years. It didn't make me sleepy, euphoric, but worked for me.
The maximum dose is 400mg per day, anything over that being dangerous.

Old 08-16-2002, 09:06 AM   #8
Inactive

davidc66 HB User
Hi Joy, Tchair is correct that the max daily dose is 400mgs per day. Higher doses can produce seizures and this med is habbit forming. You must taper off this med when you discontinue Ultram. Despite McNeils claim off no potential for abuse or addiction the drug has been reclassified and is habbit forming. Withdrawal can be severe and include seizures if you discontinue abruptly. Be safe, David

Tramadol
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION

For the treatment of painful conditions tramadol 50 mg to 100 mg can be administered as needed for relief every four to six hours, not to exceed 400 mg per day. For moderate pain tramadol 50 mg may be adequate as the initial dose, and for more severe pain, tramadol 100 mg is usually more effective as the initial dose.

[This message has been edited by davidc66 (edited 08-16-2002).]

Old 09-07-2002, 05:22 PM   #9
(female)

lvm6 HB User
erica, i'm sure u found out by now it doesnt work, sorry.

Old 09-12-2002, 05:07 PM   #10
Veteran

buck58 HB User
Thumbs up

vm6, I have to disagree with you. Ultram works wonders for my back pain. I guess it works differently for different people. see ya, buck.

Old 09-25-2002, 06:55 PM   #11

MaryLou HB User
My doctor prescribed Ultracet for me to help me sleep. I was already taking Bextra for pain and she said I could take both and maybe get some sleep (my pain generally occurs at night.) I took the Ultracet for a few days and found that I had bizarre dreams and wasn't sleeping any better, so I stopped the Ultracet. I think it is the codeine that makes me dream so weirdly and disrupts my sleep. Also, it didn't seem to affect my pain.

As others have said, medications work differently for everyone.

Hope the ultracet helps you.

MaryLou

Old 09-25-2002, 10:07 PM   #12

dingbatqueen HB User
I tried Ultram and it seemed like it was going to work on my back pain but I had a terrible episode with heart arrhythmia (fast, erratic heartbeat) and had to stop taking it. That very unpleasant side effect lasted for about 30 hours so it must take a while to get this out of your system.

Best of luck to you!

'ding'

Old 09-26-2002, 12:17 PM   #13
Inactive

EventHorizon HB User
DBQ>I tried Ultram and it seemed like it was going to work on my back pain but I had a terrible episode with heart arrhythmia (fast, erratic heartbeat) and had to stop taking it.<

Ultram is the ONLY stimulant opiate that is legal to prescribe - all others cause drowsiness. All other opiates with CNS stimulation are considered too dangerous.

I've found it helpful for pain, especially in the morning when i need to get things done. Not only does it dull the pain a little, but makes me feel energetic, like i just drank several cups of coffee.

Ultram works by affecting three neurotransmitters: opiate, seratonin, and norepinephrine - thus the amphetamine-like effects.

-EventHorizon

[This message has been edited by EventHorizon (edited 09-26-2002).]

Old 09-26-2002, 09:04 PM   #14

beckiebutler73 HB User
I would of asked for ultram instead of the ultracet..I dont like ultracets at all!!.they do make you sleepy, and they dont have as much tramadol as ultram alone has, and noone needs the extra tylenol..I take around 4 ultrams everyday, on top of my oxycontin 20 mg twice a day!...it works great for me, i took ultram alone for several years for my pain(c-1 fracture) but finally went to oxycontin back in april!.
Beckie

Old 09-27-2002, 10:14 PM   #15
(male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User
Ultracet is 37.5 mg tramadol + 325 mg acetaminophen. It contains no codeine.
Bextra (Valdexoxib) is a COX-2 inhibitor, also no codeine.
Ultram is staight tramadol ( 50 mg tablets) and has no acetaminophen, which could be taken as a seperate medication, or not at all.

Closed Thread