It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2002, 08:47 AM   #1

levgio HB User
Question Meds without ACETAMINOPHEN???

I have been taking Vicodin for 5 years now. I was in 2 bad accidents in 1997. But the risks of liver damage from the acetaminophen are really scaring me. The reason I never asked the Doctor to switch me to a med without acetaminophen is because I like the burst of energy that I get from vicodin. I know there have to be other meds out there that will help with the pain, won't make me drowsy, and don't contain acetaminophen. Does anyone know of such a medication? Thank you for your help!

Also, does anyone know if it's the hydrocodone or acetaminophen in Vicodin that give that burst of energy? Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by levgio (edited 09-22-2002).]

Old 09-22-2002, 03:05 PM   #2
Inactive

igy76 HB User
In direct answer to your question, I believe Norco has equal amount of hydrocodone but less tylenol. Also there's vicoprofen, which has ibuprofen instead (although too much of that is just as dangerous I'd imagine). But what you can look into, milk thistle is a dietary supplement found at gnc, rite aid, etc, that helps detoxify the liver. I use that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2002, 08:42 AM   #3

beckiebutler73 HB User
You can also look into straight oxycodone..its the main ingredient in percocet without the tyelnol....also oxycontin doesnt have tylenol, but for some people it makes them tired, and others it does the oposite, it doesnt make me tired, where vicadin does!!, i think differnt meds work differntly on differnt people.
Beckie

Old 10-01-2002, 07:11 AM   #4

levgio HB User
Thanks to both of you for responding! I have taken one oxycontin before that a friend had given me when I was in excrutiating pain. It took me a week to take the whole thing, I just took a little piece at a time, they are very strong, but they work. And they don't make me tired. I'm just worried that I would become dependent on those, but it doesn't look like I'm getting off of Vicodin anytime soon with the pain that I'm having. So maybe it's better to become dependent on something that doesn't cause liver damage?

Closed Thread