It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2002, 12:43 PM   #1
Inactive

igy76 HB User
Post Toradol for kidney stone pain?

Hi guys, I was unfortunately back in the ER last night as my stone is getting worse (might be obstructing by now) and they pushed a butt load of toradol on me for the pain first, before finally going to dilaudid. I've gotten toradol in the ER before for this, and it's NEVER helped the pain. I have done internet research and apparently it is often a very successful treatment in the ER for stone pain. But my doc last night tried to tell me that 99.9% of people he's seen have the toradol, and 10 minutes later are loving life and ready to walk out the door. I can't help feeling that "stat" is somehow BULLCRAP! He also tried to give me a script for a mere 20 naperson (or naproxen), which I've also been given before for stones, and again it does NOTHING. I practically had to beg him for some lortab. The thing that killed me with him prescribing 20 paultry naperson was, this was AFTER I told him I've been taking at least 6 Lorcet a day for the pain, and AFTER he watched me need 30 cc's of dilauded for the ER pain after god knows how much toradol didn't do a thing. HELLO??!! Am I in some abstract minority .1% where NSAID's don't help, and unfortunately as much as nobody would like to think so, only opiates solve the problem? EVERY OTHER ER visit I've had, demerol was administered without a second thought right away. Makes for comfortable conversation with your ER doc without sounding like you're drug seeking or something. Hello, you're doctors for christs sake! You know that kidney stones are one of the more, if not most, painful ailment a person can have!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2002, 02:30 PM   #2
Inactive

davidc66 HB User
Hey Iggy, I can really empethize, NO I don't believe that 99% of folks can manage passing a stone on a shot of toradol. You had another opiod phobic doc. I remeber readiong that in med school they recieve aproxamately 1 and 1/2 of hours of training for pain management.

Dou you eve watch those ER trauma shows on lifetime. I remember one episode where a second year intern actually said, "Not another drug seeking tooth and face pain patient, I would much rather have a fast paced MVA trauma than deal with another drug seeker". Some editor actually included that crap in the show.

I do think you have a right to be concerned about obstructing a kidney, the pain increase and the kidney fills with urine and it's quite uncomfortable,. It's a full feeling in whatever quadrant, leftor right. People do loose kidneys even in this day and age due to stones so going to the ER was probably the wise thing to do especially if you know the feeling from exp.

Since my heart atack and watching those shows I really have changed my views on going to the ER. They are great if you are dying and can do some amazing things but your horrendous stone just isn't a challange to the ER folks. You sit around waiting for a urological consult from who ever is on duty. Other than life or death, and loss of a kidney the ER is no place I want to be.

I hope the time passes for your procedure quickly and you should ask for pain meds other than toradol, for the pain of passing the gravel. Even a 2-3 mm stone can be a bear right before it drops into the bladder. Take care, David

PS. That guy that wanted to do the stent to ease your discomfort, You should be glad you didn't. I've had Double J stents after every cystoscopic removal and one of the stent's caused so much irritation during the 2 weeks after it was worse than the stone.The use the stents so the uritor doesn't close up from the trauma of having the stone removed cystoscopically (sp?)

I've been Knocked out for the removal of stents and wide awake in the office. If you have any choice let them knock you out. It only takes 3-4 minutes but its the longest couple minutes on earth.

Old 10-16-2002, 08:59 AM   #3

JMiller HB User

I went into the hospital for chronic bad pain from my tumors. The doc who was on is kind of new. He's opiophobic. He orderd 60mg's of territol. It didnt HELP. NOT ONE BIT. I LEFT JUST THE WAY I CAME IN. IN PAIN. So I took TWO oxycontin. For the first time I was disgusted with the medical system, and had lost faith in the people I pust trust in for my care.

I'm considering becomming a doctor strongly Ive got the interest

Jer

Old 10-18-2002, 09:05 PM   #4

MotorMouthMommy HB User
Unhappy

I agree, Toradol doean't do crap for pain. They give it to everyone whos complaining of pain and then ok see ya later!!

B.S......it's never worked for me. With some pain med shots you feel instant relief, with Toradol, you're sorta waiting for that "Ahhh relief" moment that never comes.

I am so sick of Health Care Prof. right now I could scream. Hang in there and demand some pain meds....Maybe you need a new Dr., I know that's what I'm considering for my pain needs.

Old 10-19-2002, 07:07 AM   #5

JMiller HB User

Hi Guys,
I went to the evening care the day AFTER I had the toradol 60mg try. They did demerol 50mg injection which was very effective, pain before administeration was 9 on a (1-10) pain scale. After analegesia(sp) set in the pain was not even sensationable. So I went home at talked to my doc, he kind of got irritated and said he CANT WRITE ME ANY PAIN MEDS, so I got upset, I called my friend Katrina, who is a pre-med student in college. We talked for a few hours, over that time my BP went up and my pain came roaring back with a vendance, I was crying in pain. So she insisted I go backo the evening care, this was about 9pm. The doc ordered demerol 50 in the butt mixed with visteril (I guess a stomach and sleepy helper). I got home told my friend I loved her and went nite nite:-P.

Friday: I went in, the doctor (evening/prompt care) called my PM clinic, they said they'd rather back off on the demerol use, which I agree with. So they increased my oxycontin 20mg twice a day. Which so far is helping. But I feel I may need break thru.

When I went to see that doctor (in the ER I asked him for some pain meds). He said that narcotics are addictive, habbit forming bla bla bla blabla. So he ordered toradol and discharged me. DIDNT EVEN GIVE IT TIME TO SEE IF IT WORKED, JUST OREDED IT AND CUT ME LOOSE. Thinking tstrongest dose would stop it. LOL. I wouldnt want to see him on a rescue call or have him as a paitent, Id say sorry cant give you anything, remember now narcotics are addictive and habbitforming. How bout some toradol for those injuries:-D

Jer

Old 04-22-2006, 07:51 AM   #6
(male)

usmc81 HB User
Re: Toradol for kidney stone pain?

I drove myself to the ER 02:30 this morning, first time for a kidney stone. Didn't know what it was until I saw the ER Dr. Once he gave me Toradol, the pain was completly gone within five minutes. So, in my case, that stuff worked really good. I usually have little faith in medical diagnosis and treatment, so was pleasantly surprised.

Old 04-22-2006, 10:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User
Re: Toradol for kidney stone pain?

I have stones and have had over 300+. Toradol never did anything for the pain. I actually had so much of it over the years, I developed an allergy to it. I can't even take aspirin or Advil anymore.

Closed Thread