It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2001, 11:18 PM   #1

davidmcc HB User
How much Vicodin is safe? Need professional advice.

Does anyone know how much Vicodin a person can take in a day and not have to worry about overdose? I am currently trying to pass a Kidney Stone and my doc has me on 7.5/750 Vicodin ES. I've been taking those along with the antibiotics he gave me. The thing is I have a prescription of 10/325 Vicodin from a few months ago and the pain is so intense and severe that I've been taking the both 10/325's and the 7.5 /750's!!

I know that I need to take as little as possible but the pain is just so terrible I would just do anything to get rid of it. When I left the doc's office he'd shot me up with Demerol. That was 12 hours ago and I've since taken about 3 7.5/750's and 2 or 3 10/325's. I am worried about overdose. I know I have to tell him the meds are not effective and get something stronger but my follow up isnt for another 36 hours and I am wondering if anyone out there knows if these doses I am describing are within reason. It adds up to around 50+ Mg of Vicodin in a 12 hour period as well as 3,000 Grams of APAP. UGH!! Is this reasonable?

Old 03-06-2001, 11:37 PM   #2

TrickyDick HB User
Re: How much Vicodin is safe? Need professional advice.

I'm an ol' drug abuser from way back and that is a lot of that drug to be taking. You stand the risk of damaging your liver and also you should know that this drug is addictive. But if you stop pretty soon you should be ok.

I take it you have no insurance or you would not be putting up with this pain.
If you did have insurance you could have the kidney stone "busted" which would let it pass easier. Of course, you could have it cut out also, but that is a last resort.

If your trying to pass it, the doc should have told you to drink as much liquids as you could hold.

I have had one busted, one cut out, and passed three. (the three that passed were smaller than a B/B).
I hear you about the pain...its really, really bad. I have been shot and blown up and that did'nt hurt half as bad as passing a stone.

Don't forget the emerergency room if things get too bad.
Peace

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2001, 11:58 PM   #3

Joseph77 HB User

Woh... Uhhh yeah your taking wayyyy over the limit. with the 7.5 I belive it's 1 every 4-6 HOURS, and the 10 I know for sure is 1 every 4-6 hours. With that DEMEROL shot you also had, that's alot of pain killers. If the pain is that intense i'd go to the emergency room where they can manage your pain better and PROFESSIONALLY. I don't think you will OD on those Pain killers. I've taken upto 6 in 2-3 horus of Vicoden 10. Unless you have really shallow breathing I would not be alarmed, and yes if you take that much pain killers everyday that will end up damaging your liver. If I were you, if that pain is REALLY that bad, go to the hospital, or call your doctor the next morning and schedual and appointment ASAP.

Good Luck,

Joe

Old 03-07-2001, 12:01 AM   #4

Joseph77 HB User

OH yeah, by the way, those PAIN KILLERS WILL NOT TAKE THE PAIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!! It will only take the edge off of it. Some people think it will just get rid of it. I think you might be taking that many pills thinking the more will take your pain completely away. It won't!

Old 03-13-2001, 04:01 PM   #5
Inactive

david c1 HB User

Hey David, sorry I didn't see this post sooner. It's not the narcotic agent that damages the liver it's the Tylenol. Max short term use is 4000mgs a day and no more than 1000 mgs of tylenol in a sigle dose. The Vicodin ES isn't a good choice for a kidney stone. It's not gonna hurt you to bring out the big guns while your trying to pass the stone. 5-7 days of percocet will not get you addicted. The good thing about a stone being the source of pain is that it will eventually pass. If someone has built up tolerance to opioids over years of CP they nmay be taking several grams of morphine per day. Yes that's grams. If you convert my meth to morphine I'm taking about 400 mgs of morphine a day. 100 mgs at a time. I have been in CP since my first back surgery in 93. Good Luck and let us know when you will be passing out cigars.LOL David

Old 03-21-2001, 07:06 PM   #6

brrdgirl HB User

I have been taking Vicoden 7.5 for chronic pain from fibromyalgia (just think whiplash/migraine in upper body and arms). If I have a bad day with pain 6 or 7+, it doesn't help. I went through a six week period where I would take about 4 to 6 a day, plus 2 flexeril, plus drinking vodka or tequila on top of it out of desperation - still I felt like I just wanted to burst out of my body. I needed a trigger point injection in my shoulder and couldn't get the referral I needed for a month.

Its ok for medium pain, but it doesn't work for severe pain. Toradol or prednisone can help with inflammatory pain - I had that with Percocet after surgery and it was only the combination that helped. Call your doc! It's hard to get them to "get" how bad your pain is unless you really get in their face about it.

Old 05-09-2001, 08:16 PM   #7

citygirl10 HB User

Hi, please be careful with all that tylenol. If you have a "normal liver" you probably should not consume more than 4grams or 4thousand milligrams each day. If you have any liver impairment , only 2grams per day. This really should be short term only. If you end up with a chronic pain problem you should talk with your doc about opioids . take care

Closed Thread