It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2002, 02:43 PM   #1

RX4FUN HB User
MRI w/ Contrast Dye

Has anyone here had an MRI with contrast dye before? I have an MRI of the L. brachial plexus (shoulder) on Mon, and they are going to be using contrast dye. I've had lots of venograms before, so I'm familiar with contrast dye, but I don't know how they do it with an MRI. Do they inject it directly into the vein or do they have to start an IV? Just looking for some info so that I'm more prepared! Thanks in advance!

Rx4fun

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2002, 03:44 PM   #2
Inactive

misstoogood HB User
Re: MRI w/ Contrast Dye

RX,

I've had a couple of those. They injected the dye into the vein in my arm. It was over in a second or two. For me they did some films and then the injection and some more films afterwards.

Just as a side note, in my case the dye did not do its job. For me it was supposed to differentiate scar tissue from disc material (mine was lumbar.) When they did surgery they found out that what they thought was disc material, was actually scar tissue. I guess this doesn't happen often at all and my doctor called this rare. But, I never knew it could happen; thought I would inform you about the possibility.

Don't let it discourage you, go ahead with the test; it can be a good one.

Missy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2002, 03:53 PM   #3

RX4FUN HB User

Missy,

Thanks for the advice! I've read that they have to start an IV, they don't, etc... I guess I'll find out one way or another tomorrow!!

Rx4fun

Old 03-20-2002, 09:49 AM   #4
Inactive

misstoogood HB User

RX,

I was just checking in here and wondered how you did with the MRI. Did it go okay? Have you gotten results yet? Keep us posted.

Missy

Old 04-11-2002, 05:39 AM   #5
Unregistered

hey. when i had my MRI on my spine they used radioactive dye...im not sure, is that the same thing? they just did it like it was a blood test, but put stuff in me and didnt take it out! My mom didnt tell me i was getting an injection so when the guy came in and said ok time for the intjection, i was lost. She didnt tell me cuz she didn't want me to be dreading for the 3 days. good luck.

Old 04-12-2002, 12:00 PM   #6

TonyC001 HB User

I've had way to many MRI's. Different procedures are used at different places. I've had them take picture first and them pull me out of the machine (remain still) and then they would poke me and inject the dye and then finish the MRI. At other places before they started the testing, they inserted a catheter and then near the end of the test they would pull me out of the machine (remain still) and would inject the dye and then put me back into the MRI to finish up. Either way you still end up getting stuck except with the second procedure you end up with a catheter in your wrist or arm through the whole thing. They normally just inject it into the vein.<p>[This message has been edited by TonyC001 (edited 04-12-2002).]

Closed Thread