It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2002, 01:37 PM   #1
(male)

Tony111 HB User
Question When can you fill narcotic prescriptions?

I see my pain management Dr once a month to get refills on my MSContin(morphine) and want to know when to get it filled at the pharmacy?
For example, if I saw my Dr on 9-27-02 and he writes me a presciption for the morphine #120 tabs take one four times a day...a months supply, and I get it filled on that day. My next appointment with him is on 10-24-02, which is not 30 days yet, but, it's a new prescription for the same narcotic. Should I wait until 10-26-02 the full 30 days of the last script or can I get it filled the same day he writes the new presciption? Is filling it before the 30 days is up on the last prescription a red flag to the Pharmacy/DEA,etc.??

What do you people do that are on monthly pain meds. that are classII??

Is there a way that they can be tracked or cause problems?

Often,waiting till the 30 days are up occures on weekends when the pharmacy can't check with the Dr. and don't want some pharmacist saying I have to wait till they can check on it and have to go without for several days! On the other hand I don't want to get in trouble !

Thanks for your input!
Tony

[This message has been edited by Tony111 (edited 10-14-2002).]
C7 - Psuedarthosis(collapse of bone graft and chronic nonunion)
T1,T2,T3-Herniations
L4-5&5-S1 - Surgical Fusions with Instrumentations-2001
Spinal DDD
Chronic Headaches
Fibromyalgia
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 10-12-2002, 04:33 AM   #2
Veteran

simby HB User
hi -
iall i can tell you is that in maine - you can get a script filled up to 7 days ealy. some only let you do it 4 days early.
you can always have the pharm. put it on file and fill it when you need it.

------------------
(the truth is out there)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2002, 10:32 AM   #3
Inactive

davidc66 HB User
Hey Tony, You pretty much answered your own question, they are 30 day supplies and unless you are going on vacation or the day falls on a holiday the doc is keeping track of the 30 days. If you show up on 10-24 and tell him you have taken 30 days worth of meds in 28 days and need to refill today it's the quickest way to loose a doc. The insurance CO may allow you to fill it on the 27th day but that has nothing to do with when your doc is tracking you need your next refill.

For example, I can see my doc once every 3 months. He writes all 3 months scripts on that visit. On the bottom he will write fill on or after 10-17-02, the next script with a month that has 31 days will be dated 11-15-02 and the following is a 30 day month so it's dated 12-14-02. Whether or not your ins lets you fill on the 27 0r 28th day they are still 30 day supplies so expect your next script to be dated
10-26-02 so that you are filling it on the 30th day.

You do end up with a couple pills a month from that 30th day but I wouldn't expect a doc to allow you to keep building a stash every month.

That's if your doc keeps accurate books and expects to be able to keep writing C-11 scripts to treat pain. The best way for a doc to protect himself is to have accurate bookkeeping. For the doc to show the DEA he's in control, these scripts are 30 day supplies, allowing early refills can cost a doc his license.

My goal is to have an aggressive doc but one that protects himself so thousands aren't left out in the cold, particularly me.LOL

The day you actually see the doc, has nothing to do with whether or not each script is a 30 day supply or that's the day he will allow you to refill. It's always good to have the apt a couple days early because stuff does happen.

All it takes is for a pharmacist to call the board of pharmacy or the DEA and say Dr. X doesn't hold his patients to a 30 day supply on C-2's and allows the patients early refills. Or they call the doc and say are you aware that Mr X is filling these scripts early each month. It's a sure fire way to get blown out of a practice and get your name tagged in the pharmacy computer warning all other locations to deny early refills. My wife was in the pharmacy biz for almost 10 years. The stories I could tell.

In this current atmosphere docs are bigger targets than the guy selling pot to his friends. Even if your doc dots every I and crosses every T, he still stands the risk of being investigated. During the investigation I don't think the practice goes on Business as usual, which means all patients get to experience withdrawal until his name is cleared.

The DEA removes all the files and computers which makes it impossible to continue to practice without any documented patient history.

This is just my opinion but if you expect to keep a PM doc everything you do needs to be beyond reproach for both you and your docs future. Even if you can fill a couple days early it doesn't mean these pills are bonus pills that aren't accounted for.

Some docs are so strict they don't deduct a day a month or 2 days for months with 31 days. They do this to protect themselves.

OxyC is not a very forgiving drug that wouldn't bother you if you didn't have that morning dose the day you get it filled. Most people are sick within hours of a missed dose.

Personally I think you should be able to fill on the 30th day unless there is a holiday or Hurricane/Blizzard heading your way. That would leave you without your meds. When you can fill it and how many days supply it is are two very different things.
Take care, David

Old 10-14-2002, 01:33 PM   #4
(male)

Tony111 HB User
Hey David,
Thanks for your input, especially since you wife was in the pharmacy business. I thought that the way you described it is correct. A 30 day supply is a thirthy day supply.
I wasn't really sure on this point since my doc never discussed this and dates it the same day that I see him.

I guess "better safe than sorry" is the better way to go!

Take care,
Tony

[This message has been edited by Tony111 (edited 10-14-2002).]
C7 - Psuedarthosis(collapse of bone graft and chronic nonunion)
T1,T2,T3-Herniations
L4-5&5-S1 - Surgical Fusions with Instrumentations-2001
Spinal DDD
Chronic Headaches
Fibromyalgia
Chronic Pain Syndrome
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 12-19-2002, 07:08 AM   #5
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
From what I have experienced the pharm fills a few days early for me. As long as the script is from my regular Doc and not an Er doc its filled. They figure the Regular Doc knows what and when he perscribed last so they fill it I have went as early as 4 days and its been ok but I guess it depends on the pharm too.

------------------
Cheers
Autumn

Closed Thread