It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2003, 09:48 PM   #1

kim32 HB User
Post what's the difference between oxycodone/percocet and oxycontin?

my doctor first had me on oxycodone/percocet/endocet and that didn't last that long (only for like an hour) and it says on the bottle (take every 4 hours for pain) well now my doctor put me on oxycontin (10mg) and that seems to help a little bit better (a little bit longer) Are both of these pain med's different? (the oxycodone/percocet and the oxycontin) it says on the bottle (take twice a day every 12 hours) well it does not last for 12 hours that's for sure. Should i ask my doctor to up the dose? How high can the dose go? I had an MRI yesterday, and hopefully i will get the results tomorrow (thursday) (read my previous post as to why i need more tests done). My primary doctor is finally referring me to a pain clinic (because they can't seem to find out what's causing me this chronic burning pain in my upper stomach/chest and back area). I hope that they find something wrong so then i can get it fixed! Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2003, 10:17 PM   #2
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
Oxycontin is a 12 hour slow release form of oxycodone and percocet is an immediate release. 10mg oxycontin releases 5mg about 1 hour after you take it and another 5mg about the 4 to 6 hour mark. Your right the oxys dont last 12 hours. I am on Oxycontin 20mg twice a day with percocet 5mg for break through pain around the 4 hour mark. Did your Doc give you percs or anything for break through pain? Ask him about it. My Doc put me on Oxycontin because I was taking too much Acetominophen in the percs to get relief and it could harm the liver. Oxycontin is straight oxycodone NO acetominophen and percocet is oxycodone and 325mg acetominophen per tab.

------------------
Cheers...Autumn
Female...42
TMJD for 12 years
Carpal Tunnel syndrome
Anxiety/Panic Attacks (cured now I think)
Teen daughters that have had medical problems and I will help and over advice on what areas I am knowledgable in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2003, 03:09 AM   #3
Irish Cream

Red face

I suffer from carpal tunnel surgery the didn't work. I go to a pain management clinic and I get 5 mg Percocet with aspirin or whatever it is. DR will not increase meds afraid I'll get hooked on 10 mg of Percocet I guess.Plus if she wants I have to take a test for illegal drugs. Will try to teach me biofeed back if I want. I've tried that just can't seem to get the hang of it. They wonder sometimes why we,those who are in pain, or whatever DR shop as they call it. Maybe we are looking for an answer why am I still hurting and why won't you do anything about it.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:52 PM   #4

zbestone HB User
Unhappy

Hi. I was just given Oxycodone, 4.88mg, 1or2 3 times a day... well... I was in so much pain!! I had been taking 6 percocet and about 4 Norco a day and was getting better relief.. but I know I needed to cut down on Tylenol. I thought Oxycodone was better? What about MSContin or other Oxy's...? Someone got some input there?

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2003, 02:59 PM   #5
Inactive

Karla HB User
I used to take 15-20 mg of oxycodone. However, I couldn't be on that forever and it was only helping for a couple of hours and then pooping out on me. My dr. put me on methadone then and I have had wonderful adequit pain relief.

Old 01-10-2003, 11:21 AM   #6

zbestone HB User
Wink

Thanks for the info Karla. Not that something that works for one person will work for another, but I needed some type of idea what Im taking compared to someone else. Geesse.. you were taking 15-20 mgs!.. Im hardly taking anything compared to that..No wonder its not helping much. I am better today, but Im having to take the hydrocodone with it to help. Im only supposed to take 6 per day and it takes 2 to help at all! Im waiting to hear from my doc.

Oh.. another thing, if you see this... I cant seem to find anything that will relieve my pain, but let me carry on with my activity (im tired all the time).. I teach golf and its pretty hard to do ANYTHING like I am, but does the Meth help that at all?
Thanks!
"Z"

Old 05-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
(female)

shaunda96 HB User
Exclamation Re: what's the difference between oxycodone/percocet and oxycontin?

You should talk to your dentist about being on Methadone. I've been on it for almost 10 years for pain and it stripped the enamel off my teeth. I was told later that I should have had extra flouride treatments. I didn't and now I have a complete set of false teeth at the age of 36. Good Luck! I truly hope that you have some relief of your pain.

Shaunda

Closed Thread