It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2003, 08:07 PM   #1

kim32 HB User
Question Has anyone tried Morphine extended release tablets?

I have looked on the internet and it shows that Oxycontin (which i'm currently taking) and morphine have 12 hour extended release tablets. Which one is stronger?
And does the morphine give out side effects like oxycontin does? (to me it does anyway) I'm wondering if my primary doctor can give me the morphine for chronic pain? Thanks! Kim

Old 01-05-2003, 08:09 PM   #2

maryingeorgia HB User
Lightbulb

That would be MSCONTIN which is stronger than oxycontin. MS means morphine sulphate and Oxy means oxycodone- BIG difference in pain relief. MScontin is stronger, I hope this helps.
Mary

[This message has been edited by maryingeorgia (edited 01-05-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2003, 12:54 PM   #3
(female)

pebble's HB User
Dear Kim..
I am taking '160mg of Oxycontin a day, and am currently being assesed for the pain pump! My Consultant as told me 'Oxycontin' is as Twice as strong as Morphine..Hope that helps bean..

Love Pebbles xxxxx

Old 01-07-2003, 01:30 PM   #4

jane2 HB User
Oxy is stronger in that 10 mgs of Oxy = 15 Mgs of MS Contin. That means nothing in terms of relief. The stongest by that definition is the patch, which is measured in micro-somethings.

Morphine is a very powerful pain reliever. You dose it differently that is all. I have been on extended release morphine for 2 years. I get much better relief than on Oxy Contin or the Patch. There is a product called Kadian, which is supposed to last 24 hours (take it twice a day). It covers more pain, better. However I take 105 mgs a day, instead of 70 mgs a day of Oxy Contin.

It all comes down to what works best for you. Many get very good results with morphine. Some like the patch, but it is a little hard to keep in and not good for many. They are all different and dosed differently and you can't tell what is best for you till you try it.

Oxy Contin, MS Contin , Morhine Sulfate ER all last 8 hours!! The 12 hour stuff just isn't true. It is a shame the company insists Oxy Contin does. It is easier to get MS Contin and Morphine sulfate three times a day. The manufacture of Oxy C and MS C says oxy lasts 12 hours. For some reason they can't claim that about MS Contin, now that it is off patent. Actulally, I only get 6 hours relief from Oxy, MS and generic. Kadian I hear is really smooth.

[This message has been edited by jane2 (edited 01-07-2003).]

Leg pain (l5, L4) - probably spine related

Migraines

MS Contin, Valium, Neurontin and Soma

Old 01-23-2003, 01:27 PM   #5

Nervepainsux HB User
I did fine on oxycontin when i was on it, but when they tried mscontin, i had severe breathing problems.

Probably just an allergic reaction for me but i've heard others say the same thing. Also the oxy is stronger by mg dosage.

Hope this gives a little insight into what you are looking for.

Old 01-23-2003, 07:00 PM   #6
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
Yes Oxycontin is stronger. Doesnt last 12 hours though they also give you breakthrough pain meds for both mscontin and oxycontin. Those meds can vary from percocet to ultram to morphine IR. Depends on the doctor.

------------------
Cheers...Autumn
Female...42
TMJD...12 years
Anxiety/Panic Attacks (cured I hope)
Total Abdominal Hysterectomy due to endometrial bleeding after miscarriage (2002)
Hernia Repair(1998)
Apendectomy (infected) 1988
21 year old daughter born with Mullerian Aplasia
18 year old daughter bulimia survivor.
If I can help ANYONE with anything from a papercut to a life threatening illness, I will do my best just to be a friend. " A friend is someone who knows all your faults and loves you anyway".

Old 01-24-2003, 08:07 AM   #7

manneryk HB User
HI, I HAVE BEEN TAKING OXYCONTIN FOR 2 YEARS NOW,I TAKE 2 100MG 6X A DAY THE OXYCONTIN IS TIME RELEASED 12 HR. I ALSO DO NOT THINK IT LASTS THAT LONG,ANYWAY IT IS MORPHINE AND SO IS MS CONTIN AS TO WHICH IS STRONGER DEPENDS ON THE DOSAGE.BOTH ARE CLASS11 DRUGS. I ALSO STARTED TAKING MS CONTIN A WEEK AGO I DO NOT FIND IT WORKING ANY BETTER AT ALL!I HAVE A VERY HIGH TOLERANCE FOR DRUGS AND NOT MUCH HAS HELPED ME SO IF ANY ONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. AS TO YOUR PRIMARY DOC. GIVING YOU THESE MEDS FORGET IT THEY ARE HIGHLY POTENT DRUGS AND YOU CAN ONLY GET THEM THROUGH PAIN MGMT. YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALOT OF QUESTIONS TO SEE IF YOUR MENTALLY FIT TO TAKE IF YA KNOW WHAT I MEAN.THEY START YOU OUT VERY LOW AS THOSE IN STORY ABOVE AND THEN HIGHER AS TOLERATED.
TO THE PERSON ABOUT THE PAIN PUMP,PLEASE GO SLOW I HAVE A PAIN PUMP AND IT IS SO MUCH MORE THAN THEY TELL YOU,PLEASE ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS AND DO RESEARCH IT TOOK ME A LOT OF TIME 2 YEARS TO GET WHERE I AM TODAY.I STILL TAKE ALOT OF PAIN KILLERS OXYCONTIN,HYDROCODONE,CELEBREX,JUST TO NAME A FEW. GOOD LUCK AND HOPE YOU ALL FEEL BETTER.

Old 02-03-2003, 12:49 PM   #8

karloff HB User
Mann, need something stronger? Ask your Doctor about, Dilaudid or the Fentanyl Patch...both are stronger than Morphine or Oxycodone. Good Luck!

Old 02-03-2003, 01:04 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Hey Kim...Log on to this website and you can check it out for yourself. You can compare and covert almost all types of pain meds. Take care.
[url="http://www.globalrph.com/narcotic.cgi"]http://www.globalrph.com/narcotic.cgi[/url]

------------------
Director

Old 02-03-2003, 03:37 PM   #10

tootieb HB User
I used to take percosets and was switched over to morphine 12 hr. release. In the hospital years ago I had what I referr to as a hyper episode after being given morphine IV, so every since that time they had given to me dilauded after surgeries instead which worked for me very well in a pump. Due to increased levels of pain and the percosets not helping me no more then 2 hours after taking 2 at a time and more surgeries my doc. decided that it best to try MS Contin with me. He wanted to start me out at 60mg and work up from there, however I have always been afraid of taking strong pain medications such as this for a prolonged period and wanted to start at the lowest dosage possible which was 15mg. The 15 did nothing for me at all so over time it was increased to 30mg then to 60mg which is what I am taking right now twice a day it has helped alot with my severe pain levels at the 60mg dose however I still have some days of severe pain but nothing like before and only after being up more then I should have been during the day. I have right many health problems going on with me trying to deal with them all at one time. The one side effect that I am concerned about however is I cannot urinate normally sometimes not at all and have alot of fluid retention, I was having bladder infections and passing alot of blood in my urine that antibiotics was not clearing up a few months before starting the MS contin so not sure if it is directly related or not but it is listed as a side effect of the drug. I have had kidney surgery trying to find out the cause but as of yet still do not know what is going on there. I have tried many pain killers in the past but never would get any satisfactory relief until now. The oxycontin did not help me either and gave me bad headaches each time I took it so I stopped with that one. I do know some that said it did help them though. I also have a good friend that takes Kadian which is about the same exact thing as MSContin as I understand it.

[This message has been edited by tootieb (edited 02-03-2003).]

Old 02-01-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
(male)

Bob_Welton HB User
Re: Has anyone tried Morphine extended release tablets?

Hi everyone. My name is Bob and I have been on a lot of different pain meds for the last 5 years. I had a 3 level anterior posterior fusion on my bottom 3 disks. Now 3 more disk have ruptured above my fusion. My surgeon wants to fuse more of my spine and I will not let him touch me again. I have learned to deal with pain by accepting it and look at the positives instead of the negatives now. As far as pain meds it all depends upon how you react to the meds. We all act deferently to the same meds. Fentanyl patches ( 80 times stronger than morphine) are very strong and effective for long term management of pain, but then again some people might have too many side effects. I have been on Mscontin 100mg for years now but my pain is getting harder to handle since more disks have ruptured and the increasing pain from my fusion. For me morphine is the cadillac of pain meds. I also take loratab 10, skelaxton 800 and valium 10. Avinza is a 24 hour acting mscontin and I will be either trying that or Kadian this week and then the next step is a pump. It really sucks to never get a real break from the pain. I wish all of you the best, Bob.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

Hi everyone! Pain meds. affect everyone different.[imo] I believe mg for mg oxycodone is stronger than morphine. Morphine doesn't do a thing for me but upset my stomache.Plus,i think morphine is so over-rated.I think the key here is what works for YOU! What works for me,may not do a thing for you[vis-verse]

Old 02-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #13
(female)

memorize HB User

I started taking Kadian 30mg 4 days ago, with Norco 10/325 broken in half for break through pain......I have been in constant pain ever since unless I take the norco.....

I had been on the Norco for about a year and it was getting to where it wasn't helping much, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours....dx every 4 hours.....this was by my spine surgeon....

I went to see a Pain Management Doc and he dx the Morphine, cymbalta for nerve pain and told me to take 1/2 norco in between if needed......since I already had those here.....Also on Robaxtin for muscle spasms.....I feel like a darn walking drug store and the Kadian is making me feel very ill when I take it, tummy wise!

It has only been 4 days and now I can read....at first I could not read, without feeling very ill.....

The doc did check on me on Friday evening and said it was trail and error with pain management....but so far this does not seem to be working.....

Opinions.....Maybe if I continue it will work for me???? I want to take the lowest dose possible to contorl the pain since with nerve damage, it looks to be alifetime thing.....

Anyone had experiences with something that doesn't cause this sickenss....another thing, the morphine seems to keep me awake! I would have never dreamed of that, I would have thought I would be knocked out with it, not lying awake in pain.....

Very frutstrated here.....I know I need to give it time....but I just needed to vent a little....and ask for help in what I can do to make things better....maybe the way you take such meds and get the best pain control????

I had 3 bulging disks, one rupture with nerve compression.....it was left for 15 months due to WC would not ok surgery, so I ended up with permanenet damage....I also have stenosis and DDD....

Thank you, God Bless,

Memorize

Old 02-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

OM28 HB User

Morphine has the highest incidence of side effects of any of the opiates, well maybe fentanyl patches do if you count skin irritation but I don't ), so the synptoms you are experiencing are not uncommon ata ll. While the stomach upset and sleep disorder may go away in time many patients are switched to something like oxycontin because it's more effective on a per milligram basis and much better tolerated .

Old 02-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #15
(female)

memorize HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM28 View Post
Morphine has the highest incidence of side effects of any of the opiates, well maybe fentanyl patches do if you count skin irritation but I don't ), so the synptoms you are experiencing are not uncommon ata ll. While the stomach upset and sleep disorder may go away in time many patients are switched to something like oxycontin because it's more effective on a per milligram basis and much better tolerated .
Thank you for the support and info, OM28......Having a very hard time here, with the added pain and sickness, but I can read today....yesterday, if I tried to read on here, I got VERY ill...so maybe things will get better!!

As far as the sleeping, I am feeling totally exhausted....I think from the fighting the pain to the just not resting and getting a few hours of relief....

If it continues, I will call the Doc and get his input....

Thanks again, God Bless,

memorize

Closed Thread