It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2003, 07:36 PM   #1

kim32 HB User
Question Is there a pain med that doesnt make you sick?

I can't take oxycontin anymore because it makes me really, really, sick. I'm going to see the chronic pain shrink tomorrow and she told me before that she could get a medical doctor to prescribe me something for the pain until i can get into the pain clinic.
Well what should i ask her to take for the pain??
I have chronic 24/7 pain. Right now i have the flu (massive headache along with stomachache/along with the chronic pain) so i'm not doing too well physcially and emotionally right now! :-( I just want some of the pain to just go away and not be sick while taking pain med's. My marriage is falling apart because of my chronic pain, my husband yells at me because all i do is cry all the time. My co-workers don't understand, they think that i should be able to come into work everyday and be cheerful. I just hate my life!! :-(
Why does God do this to us?? here i thought that he is suppose to Love everyone and help people?? Yeah right!! I use to go to church every week and pray, well i don't do that anymore because it's not helping anyway. I called up the pain clinic yesterday and the darn chronic pain shrink (who told me that she would refer me to the pain clinic) didn't even do it yet!! The lady at the pain clinic who i talked to on the phone said that they dont have no record of me yet, so she gave me their fax number and another number so this chronic pain shrink that i'm seeing can fax them my medical records and call them to refer me to them. Well tomorrow i go and see this chronic pain shrink and i'm going to ask her why she hasn't done anything yet!! I am so frustrated at these doctors, it seems like if I don't do it myself nothing will get accomplished!! It's like all they want me to do is come back to them just to "talk" about my pain just so they can get more money. That's all i think that we are to these doctor's is dollar signs! :-( Well i hate being in pain and being sick 24/7 i want my life back!!!!
Can anyone please help me?? What kind of pain med should i ask for?? Thanks! Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2003, 08:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

grizzk62 HB User
Hello,

I'm sorry fro your troubles right I feel your Pain. Just in your coctors defence. Pain Doctors have a much fuller plate tan they use to. I would suggest Methadone. Alot of Pain docs are perscribing it because it is smother and does a good job of taking care of long term Chronic acute pain. It works wonders for me. Again I know what its like to be hurting and you seem to be getting klnow where. I too have been there. Just keep trying. I've been at this know for 18yrs. Keep talking and take ownership in your pain control. Make them work for you. You are however the person that pays their paycheck

Matt

Old 05-02-2003, 01:43 AM   #3
(female)

chriztene HB User
Kim,

My heart goes out to you. Please keep your head up and whatever you do, do not stop pushing the issue. I can recall days when I felt just as you do as chronic pain can be so debilitating and depressing. This is why its paramount you get into to see a pain management specialtist.

I would talk to your psych today and impress upon her/him to fax over your records and even give her the numbers. I found (and was given advice here) to be totally honest in regard to your pain, feelings, etc.

Once you are seen by a pain doctor, you will be a totally different person. Once you obtain your appointment with the pm clinic, you communicate your feelings to the doctor and he will ask what you have been on, what worked, what didnt work, etc. I would let your pm doctor suggest what you should start taking.

There are many long acting medications other than oxy and your doctor is aware of all the different treatments.

I am sorry to hear you do not have a support system. I would advise maybe taking your husband to your pm doctor's appointment, thus, him learning about your condition, pain, etc.

I realize its easier said than done, but, try not to be so hard on yourself. You are not being punished and there are people who do care..I would also maybe check into joining a support group so you can relate to people whom have been there. There is nothing better feeling than someone 'validating' your feelings, concerns, fears, etc.

I wish you the best,
Christine

Old 05-02-2003, 03:53 AM   #4
Inactive

mokita HB User
Hi Kim. I am sorry you are suffering so much. I just want to mention something I have seen frequetly on the net when it comes to feeling sick from meds. There are other meds that can counteract that feeling (phenergan comes to mind) if you are getting good pain relief from the oxy.

But as Christine mentioned, be completely honest w/ your pain doc - about the pain, your feelings, your lack of support at home, etc. I wish you well!!!

Take care and God Bless.

Karen

Closed Thread