It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2003, 08:59 AM   #1
ajfinsand

Post MSM FOR MUSCLE PAIN AND SPASMS????

I just wanted to share with you all something that seems to have REALLY helped my back pain recently. It was really a fluke becasue I started taking the MSM for a totally different reason and had NO IDEA that it would help with the muscle pain and spasms.

My neck and lower back (above and below my fusion area) had started bothering me lately as well as my hips, and I decided that I'd better start taking some joint health supplements as a preventive measure and added MSM along with the glucosamine and chondroitin I have been taking for a while.

The very next day after my first dose of MSM my back pain level was down to a 4. It had been at a pain level of 7/8 for months prior and rx muscle relaxers were not helping at all.......nor had ten additional sessions of PT helped (the PT actually made it worse!)

I've had trouble sleeping ever since weaning off Oxycontin after my first surgery. Nothing helped with the sleeping either. My PCP gave me an RX of Ambien, but even with it I would only sleep 3-4 hours a night.

After the third day of taking the MSM I actually slept EIGHT HOURS!!! I think the last time I slept 8 hours was when I was put out for that long for my surgery (and I don't think that really even counts!) I've continued to sleep much better almost every night now.

I've continued to take 1500mg of the MSM twice a day for the last few weeks and been able to keep my pain level at a 4/5 and continued to be able to sleep much better at night.

At first I didn't know what to attribute the improvements to, but the only thing I had done differently was taking the MSM; so I looked up some infor on it and it did say that it can also help muscle pain and promote better sleep.

Just wanted to let y'all know how much it has helped me in case you wanted to give it a try.

love and prayers,

aj in Oregon

------------------
~ 48 year old female; currently self-employed as an artist/designer/woodcrafter.
~ Previously worked in the restaurant biz for 27 years (not so good for someone with a bad back!)
~ Hereditary and congenital scoliosis, but it never caused any problems until I was 40+ years old.
~ 76 degree curvature had increased 2 degrees in two years 1999-2001; indicating surgery was necessary.
~ Surgery in March of 2001.
~ Fusion and insturmentation of C7 - T9.
~ Fourth rib removed; 5th and 6th rib cut back halfway; removed ribs were morselized and used for the grafting, plus additional bone harvested from hip.
~ After tthe hardware was attached, spine was straigntened 20+ degrees.
~ 2 weeks in the hospital.
~ Brace worn for five months. Bone growth stimulator device also worn several hours per day.
~ PT 5 mos. after surgery caused increased pain.
~ Follow-up surgery to remove hardware scheduled for Feb. 2002.
~ Round 2 of PT 2 mos. after hardware removal.
~ Medically released to return to full activity in July 2002.
~ Increased pain upon returning to regular work schedule.
~ Round 3 of PT in April/May 2003; continually increasing pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2003, 01:50 PM   #2

woogie1077 HB User
I am glad to hear you are finding something that keeps your painlevel down...but I have a questions...what is MSM?

Old 06-01-2003, 04:56 PM   #3
ajfinsand

The full name of the product is methylsulfonlymethane. But if you were searching for it at a store or on the internet you will find it listed as just 'MSM'. It is frequently added to glucosamine-chindroitin complex supplements; and primarily taken to promote healthy joint function.

aj

Old 06-01-2003, 07:55 PM   #4

woogie1077 HB User
well at this point anything is worth trying, thanks...

-Chrissy

Old 06-02-2003, 05:49 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

grizzk62 HB User
afinsand,

Hey thanks for the suggestion. Someone at work told me about MSM. He swears be it. Do you no if it causes any liver damage at all. Or maybe I should check w/my doc because of my HEPC. If not I would diffently try it. I'm always open to other things that help. I alos take glucosimine and condrotin. And it doues help
any how any more info would be greatly appreiciated. That is if you still aren't mad at me..again I'm sorry for my behavior

Matt

Closed Thread