It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2003, 09:38 AM   #1

painintheneck2 HB User
Question Question about Lortab10 refill

I've been on Lortab 7.5 for a year and my doc just went up to 10's about 4 months ago. I always refill my scipts at my local pharmacy until once when it was due to be refilled on a Sun and local pharm was closed so I went to another pharmacy that was open on Sunday's. They refilled it, but when time came to refill again I called same (sunday) pharmacy and pharmacist caused huge stink. She said that I couldn't refill until the 1st of the month (this was like the 20th). I had been using guidlines for refills set by my insurance company that stated I could refill my scripts at 60% used for the past year. I explained this to the pharmacist and she firmly told me that the law doesn't care what my insurance company states, regulations say that narcotic pain relievers cannot be refilled until 30 days for 100 @ 3 per day. I told her to transfer my scipt back to my local pharmacy. THEY called my PM doc and from that day on I could no longer go by my insurance company guidlines. I had to refill my 100 @ 3 per day 7.5's on the 30th day. My question is that now I am on lortab 10, qty 120, at 4 per day. I am out! 30 days will be friday the 30th. Obviously when I was taking the 7.5 at 3 per day the actual prescription was for 33 day (not 30) but the pharmacy would allow me to refill it at 30 days. So with the lortab 10 at 4 per day (30 day supply) will they refill it a few days early too, like 27 days?? Or is 30 day a standard fed law for narcotic refills?????

~head on collision in 1999 (car totaled)
~badly sprained ankle, bruised chest cavity, whiplash
~month later, recovered
~month and one week later, couldn't move neck LOTS of pain and crying. Tingling in right index and middle finger. Pain down right arm, pain always in neck and in upper back between shoulder blades (burning). Legs also hurt at times.
~went to various docs, prescribed muscle relax. and pain meds on and off whenever I got a "flare up".
~found my doc 2 years ago, prescribed lortab. insurance wouldn't cover preexistin cond till 6 months lapsed
~doc said "you are having muscle spasms and will prob be on pain killers the rest of your life"
~later, doc started to question my pain
~told him to schedule MRI
~MRI showed herniated disk, bulging on right side at C5 & C6
~kept me on pain meds and referred me to a wonderful chiro.
~now seeing chiro and taking pain meds
~next step is epidural shot if chiro doesn't work.
~UPDATE: Aug 2003: Saw Doc., discussed tolerence to Lortabs; Discussed long acting meds and complete loss of sensation in right thumb up to first finger; and pain worse, + wake up with right arm "dead" often!
~Set up appt with Neuro
~Prescribed MS Contin 30 mg 2x day plus Lortab 10 5 per day for BT.
~ 1 wk later: bumped up to 60mg MS Contin 2x day
~ So far MS Contin works excellent. Pain level 0 to 1 for 8-10 hours

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2003, 10:21 AM   #2
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
If they filled the others at 30 days instead of 33, I would imagine they would fill the others 3 days early as well. The thing that bothers me the most is they dont allow for sudden pain which I plan on discussing with my PM doc. Lately because of the death of my bestfriend I have been waking with headaches in the middle of the night its probably temporary because he just passed a week ago and the sadness is still very strong. But anyway I have had to get up at 2 or 3 am and take one of my pills so of course thats going to make me run out a day or so early this time. They should either allow a few extra tabs on the script or a couple days early refill incase something like that happens. I would try getting your script a couple days early if they did it last time and if they dont I would bring up this topic of sudden pain with your doc and see what he says. I wish you the best of luck.
Autumn.

Old 05-27-2003, 10:34 AM   #3

painintheneck2 HB User
thanks Autumn. I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to find a website for FDA regulations concerning laws on refilling narcotics (or when they can be refilled). According to the one pharmacist who caused a big stink, there's some law regulating when they can be refilled (regardless of what your insurance company allows). I've found the FDA website and all sorts of prescription regulations but nothing about what this woman told me concerning length of time to refill. Anyone?

~month later, recovered
~month and one week later, couldn't move neck LOTS of pain and crying. Tingling in right index and middle finger. Pain down right arm, pain always in neck and in upper back between shoulder blades (burning). Legs also hurt at times.
~went to various docs, prescribed muscle relax. and pain meds on and off whenever I got a "flare up".
~found my doc 2 years ago, prescribed lortab. insurance wouldn't cover preexistin cond till 6 months lapsed
~doc said "you are having muscle spasms and will prob be on pain killers the rest of your life"
~UPDATE: Aug 2003: Saw Doc., discussed tolerence to Lortabs; Discussed long acting meds and complete loss of sensation in right thumb up to first finger; and pain worse, + wake up with right arm "dead" often!
~Set up appt with Neuro

Old 05-28-2003, 05:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
When I was on lortab I was never even aloud to refill them 1 day early and I live a hour away from pharmacy. They make you feel like such a loser when you try to fill them early. It is such ashame that we have to depend on others to help with our pain I just hate this. They have not a clue how we feel and how living in pain everyday effects us then they go and act like we are asking them for a million dollars or somthing when we want are scripts filled.

Sorry to ramble on but when I am refused for just 1 day early for lortab they just burns me up.

Autum,

I am real sorry to hear about your loss. Your friend was lucky to have had and known a person such as yourself. I hope as each day goes by you find yourself feeling better and comforted just knowing that your friend lives on in your heart.

I hope you all have a good day!
Cattys

[This message has been edited by cattys (edited 05-28-2003).]

Old 05-28-2003, 06:46 AM   #5
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
I am not familiar with insurance in the States but here as long as my family or pain doc write the script I can fill it when its dated for. The Pharm told me as long as its written by the same doc it can be filled early. For example I used to get 100 percs at 4 a day was 25 days. My doc had written as early as a week before instead of me coming back in a week for just a script. Its when its by a diff doc or from an Er they give ya trouble here and they call the doc who wrote it and make sure he knows that you are already on that med a friend of mine tryed to do that and they wouldnt give it to him. I hope you find something you can do about it if its from the same Doc and he knows you are filling it you shouldnt have any trouble but then again I dont know the laws there. Good Luck and God Bless.
Autumn.

Old 05-28-2003, 06:54 AM   #6

woogie1077 HB User
Autumn: I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, hang in there!
Painintheneck: FDA regulations are indeed 3 days prior to refill date...for example my ms contin & vicodin HP's both expire on the 4th of every month, and routine I get them filled on the 1st of every month and per my pharmicst and my doc's it is 3 days by law and by my insurance too. I know sometimes I do run out a little early and have tried just to pay for it, and not put it through my insurance(hey I was desperatley in pain last month)and my pharmicst(who is great and very helpful)told me by law narcotic scrips can not get filled until 3 days prior to refill date. And he felt bad and kept apologizing to me. So I hope that was a bit more helpful. Please let me know if you read otherwise, or find any info on the internet. Good Luck to all! And keep me updated!
-Chrissy

Old 05-28-2003, 07:15 AM   #7

painintheneck2 HB User
Thumbs up

Thanks to all for your helpful replies.

Update: I got my scipt filled yesterday with no problem. So your right Chrissy, I was able to refill it 3 days early. Thank goodness, I would have suffered waiting till Friday.

Thanks again!
Wendee

~month later, recovered
~Set up appt with Neuro

Old 05-28-2003, 12:03 PM   #8

woogie1077 HB User
wendee-
I am so glad you worked that out! And that you got your med's. I hope you are feeling better and I am glad I was of some assistance.
-Chrissy

Old 05-31-2003, 10:05 PM   #9

Jack Beanstalk HB User
Howdy P.I.T.N.,First off,in NO way.shape,or form am I tryin to be a butthead or nuthin,OK?I,m just a bit slow sometimes.What I was tryin to figure out wasif you were gettin 33 days of meds every 30 for that while,what happened to all the extra 3 days worth that you should have accumulated?That,s probly what that lady Pharmie was wonderin.You shouldn,t have been out,should you?I know the FDA has guidlines and all,but we,re dealin with the DEA on these babies.When it comes to C-3 drugs ,like Lortab,they are gonna get tight on you.It,s even worse when you gotta deal with C-2 drugs(percocet,Oxycontin,Morphine,etc).I don,t know about Canada,but here in the states,things change.That,s one of the main reasons all of us CPer,s have so much trouble gettin Pain Meds from docs.The docs are scared to death of the DEA!Anyway,the lady is right,it ain,t really up to the insurance co.,it,s up to the Dr. and ,ultimately,the Pharmacist,wether or not they,ll fill a script a day or 2 early.Some will,but the law is pretty strict about those rules.
Be careful,pain-in-the-neck! jack beanstalk

Old 06-07-2003, 04:31 PM   #10

TDHZ28 HB User
They always fill my oxys 3 days prior to the 30th day. If the dose is ever changed by your doc. like the 7.5's to the 10's, they HAVE to fill it no matter what day it is. Maybe her 3 days extra ran over on months there were extra days. I've only had a problem once witha major chain where they wouldnt fill it saying it was early. I called the pharmacy later that night and asked cause I was sure I was right and sure nuf he filled it. I was the taking percocet 10/325 6 per day.

------------------
pain from cervical radiculopathy, spondy, permanent nerve damage, c5/6 buldging dics, DDD,nerve root lesions, anxiety.depression from chronic pain or vice versa. current meds,oxycontin 2 40's twice a day, oxyir for B/T, xanax, paxil, estratest, synthroid, phenergran.
pain from cervical radiculopathy, spondy, permanent nerve damage, c5/6 buldging dics, DDD,nerve root lesions, anxiety.depression from chronic pain or vice versa. current meds,oxycontin 2 40's twice a day, oxyir for B/T, xanax, paxil, estratest, synthroid, phenergran.

Old 06-09-2003, 04:30 AM   #11

painintheneck2 HB User
Jack Beanstalk: Yes they should have lasted me 33 days, but my system had adjusted to them and I was taking more than was prescribed, which is why I went and saw my doc and he brought me up to 10's at 4 per day. But regardless of that, there shouldn't be a crime in getting your script filled a few days earlier than they are to run out. I mean for things like leaving town (which I do often)or when the pharmacy will be closed on the day you run out and etc. I am very aware, now, of how careful I have to be now and I'm watching myself much more closely. The last thing I want to do is get my doctor in trouble for helping me manage my pain. I appreciate your input, and I don't think you were being a butthead.

~month later, recovered
~Set up appt with Neuro

Closed Thread