It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2003, 11:00 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lindao1 HB User
Post Trial #2 Morphine Pump Update

Hello everyone! Hope things are going well for all of you. I just had my 2nd trial for the morphine pain pump and I wanted to give you all an update as to how it went. I discovered some interesting things that I did not know before (some good and some not so good).

If you remember my 1st trial was a nightmare. Developed severe headache and had excruitating pain at the puncture site for almost a week. That's why I dreaded going thru another trial.

With this 2nd trial, the dr. asked me about that really bad headache I got last time and said it was a "spinal headache" and he was going to try something different this time. The last trial he injected 0.75 mg morphine "intrathecally" (hope that sounds right). This time he used what he called "duramorphine"(1 mg) and instead of injecting it intrathecally, he injected it subdurally. What a difference! After the medicine started working, I could not believe the pain relief - and it lasted a long time!!! No headache, no severe pain at the puncture site - it was wonderful! I felt like a new person! My pain decreased about 70% in my neck and about 90% (!!!) in my back -unbelievable!
I stayed overnight as usual and was discharged the next morning. I thought WOW! I know this must mean that the next step will be the permanent pump. I was elated! Then the discharge nurse burst my bubble by saying, "Are you going to have the 3rd trial - I was like shocked! A 3rd trial??? I said no one has mentioned this to me and she said sometimes they do a 3rd one. How much more pain relief do they expect me to get after the wonderful relief I experienced after this 2nd one.?????

I go to the dr. on Thurs. 7/24 as a follow-up visit from the 2nd trial. If he doesn't tell me we can go ahead with the permanent pump - I'll go ballistic!! I can't see any reason for a 3rd trial since this second one was so successful!! As I mentioned before, I had never heard of anyone having to go thru a 2ND(!) trial, much less a 3RD!! Anyone every heard of this??

Anyway, just wanted to let you wonderful people know the lastest. To me, the 2nd trial was a success - I never expected to experience that much pain relief! I only hope and pray the dr. will go ahead and let me have the permanent pump put in.

I'll let everyone know what happens on Thurs. I'll either be celebrating because I'll be getting the permanent pump or I'll be extremely depressed that I have to go thru another trial. This is turning in to a much bigger ordeal than I ever imagined.

Please take care everyone. Know that I am grateful for your friendship and compassion. You are all a Godsend to me. Lindao1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2003, 02:24 PM   #2

Tiddgys HB User
Dear Lindao..
Just areal quickie as i have been in the meanest of paoin i have been down almost awek from the shocking pain i feel every nerve in my back and legs are hitting me..

Any how back to you, I'm so so pleased that you have got that 2nd trial out of the way and such good results..

The mind boggles at what this 3rd trial is going to be i will pray that they will be as genle as the last one for you flower..

Please do keep us updated as i follow you with great interest also as a dear freind..

I have 3 weeks now and it is going quickly now i feel i am starting to nest LOL.. Like i have got to make sure kids and hubbie will get along without me lol

lOVE Tiddgys xx
No better after fusion.
2 Discograms
Loss of bladder control (OK NOW )
Lots of physio..
2 MRI'S
Water Theraphy..
1 Bone scan
1 Cat Scan
Loads of ESI'S
lots of Mediacation and i'm allergic to most of them..
Now Under P/M CONSUTANT HAVE BEEN FOR THE PASS SIX MONTHS..
Need Friends and Comfort, with the odd laugh..

Old 07-19-2003, 03:19 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lindao1 HB User
Dearest Tiddgys:

I am so sad that you are having so much pain now. My heart literally aches for you. I suppose now it's my turn to send you a hug
(((((((((((( http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif ))))))))))).
Please just try and take it easy, OK?

I do have some more good news: after my post regarding the 2nd trial and possibly a 3rd, I went to my mailbox and lo and behold there was a letter from my dr. My phone has not been working for several days due to construction on the street cables, and the dr. has been trying to reach me for 2 days. The letter said they have schedule me to have the PERMANENT PUMP put in on 8/6!!! Finally!! I couldn't believe my eyes!! This is such an answer to a prayer. I finally feel like this ordeal is almost over with - no 3rd trial!!
I will actually feel pain relief like I did from the 2nd trial, but this time it will be 24/7!

My dear friend, I know your trial is approaching very soon. I am actually counting down with you. I pray your trial will be a success and that you, too, will move on to the permanent pump and real pain relief. I think of you constantly and will continue to do so. I realize your trial is much more involved than mine was, but I really feel in my heart that it will be a success. Keep your chin up and know that I care deeply.

Hope your horrible pain lessens soon. I will watch you closely and will also keep you updated on my situation. Your pal, Lindao1 http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

[This message has been edited by lindao1 (edited 07-19-2003).]

Old 07-19-2003, 05:24 PM   #4
Inactive

oceanview88 HB User
Hey linda , I had the same problem with my first trial. Although it was done inpatient I still had the fluid leak the entire time which really blurs the results. My doc wanted me to consider doing a secoond trial as you described. There is less risk injecting into the epidural space although they must use a slightly higher dose to obtain the same results. Sounds like your living what they wan't me to do. I'll be watching and hoping for the best for you. Take care, Ocean

Old 07-20-2003, 03:25 AM   #5

Tiddgys HB User
Dear Linda..
Thank you so much for your kind caring support and being such a warm freind to me that means such alot..

Linda, When i read your post i wanted t scream out and jump up and down for you i really am so pleased for you..

Well now we are both having surgery's one week apart from each other so we can count down together..

Love Tiddgys xx

------------------
lower Lumber probs.
L2 Bulging, But Docs will not touch as there is no nerve trouble there.
3 Level fusion L3-L4 L4-L5 L5-S1
No better after fusion.
2 Discograms
Lots of physio..
2 MRI'S
Water Theraphy..
1 Bone scan
1 Cat Scan
Loads of ESI'S

[This message has been edited by Tiddgys (edited 07-20-2003).]
No better after fusion.
2 Discograms
Lots of physio..
2 MRI'S
Water Theraphy..
1 Bone scan
1 Cat Scan
Loads of ESI'S

Old 07-21-2003, 10:38 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

pixiepoodle HB User
Hi Linda,
I was so excited to hear how successful your 2nd trial was. I guess if the results had been less than perfect, then you would have had to have another trial. Now the real countdown begins! It may sound weird to others, but it was one surgery I was looking forward to with joy and I'm sure you're feeling the same way. I wish you and Twiddgys the best with your upcoming surgeries.

Old 07-22-2003, 08:44 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lindao1 HB User
Hi there, Pixiepoodle! It was good to hear from you. Hope you are doing well.

Yes, I'm getting really exciting about the pump surgery (how bizarre - getting excited about surgery??? Ok, I'm looney - I admit it!)

I just want it all to be over with and the pain relief start. After the 2nd trial, I couldn't believe there was such a thing as THAT MUCH pain relief - wow! And to think there are people in this world that experience that everyday of their lives - no chronic pain - it's really weird and not fair, but we each have something to bear don't we?

As the surgery date gets closer, I'll probably have a bunch of questions for you - I hope you don't mind. Since you've been there, I really hang on every word you say about the pump. You are my pump pioneer!!

Right now, I'm just remembering the pain relief from the trial and waiting for 8/6. I know it will be here soon, but right now it feels like it's an eternity away - yes, now I'm getting impatient - ha!

Anyway, thank you Pixiepoodle for thinking and caring about me. You are such a dear. Hope you don't mind if I start bombarding you with questions???? If you do, just tell me to hush up! Much Love, Lindao1 http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Old 07-23-2003, 10:25 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

pixiepoodle HB User
Linda01,
Please "bombard" away with all the questions you want. I will be happy to try and answer them, but keep in mind that everyone's experience may be a little different. I am just glad that I can encourage you and anyone else who is thinking of taking the plunge with the pump. I feel like more people should look into it because it is so much better than drugging yourself up with heavy duty meds that can mess up your liver and possibly keep you from working. Before my pump every day was an effort to get up and get readt for work and then try to make it through 8 hrs and then go home and try to do everything there. Another great thing is that I don't have to complain to my hubby when I get home about how bad my pain is - bless his heart, I don't know how he put up with it for 7 yrs.

Keep smiling and looking up.

Old 07-25-2003, 03:09 AM   #9

Tiddgys HB User
pixie..
You mentioned about not moaning to your hubbie, I can't wait not to do that either as it must dragg them and others down to keep hearing us go on daily (in my case it is 24-7) I know he loves me and he is always reasuring me But it does not make it any easier i feel really guilty of moaning..

ON ONE Good note though........

I have decided though to come clean about my pain to others though, When people ask how i am i usually say i'm fine and coping, But now i tell people how i really am AND you should see there faces it shuts them up and they seem to not want to talk or listen about it.. what a shame..

It shows who our true freinds are doesent it..

Tiddgys xx

------------------
lower Lumber probs.
No better after fusion.
2 Discograms
Lots of physio..
2 MRI'S
Water Theraphy..
1 Bone scan
1 Cat Scan
Loads of ESI'S
No better after fusion.
2 Discograms
Lots of physio..
2 MRI'S
Water Theraphy..
1 Bone scan
1 Cat Scan
Loads of ESI'S

Old 07-25-2003, 04:16 AM   #10
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
Tiddgys-
I have also started telling people how I am really feeling, and it kinda upsets me when they look like they regret asking me how I'm doing. Most people tell me they're sorry I feel so horrible, but I still wish they didn't have that look in their eye like "Nevermind, I'm sorry I even asked, I wish she'd stop griping.." But oh well, I also whine to my boyfriend, but he's always so good to me, and then asks me if I need my meds and comforts me.

Anyways, everyone have a good day and try to stay as pain-free as possible!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif
Crystal

Old 08-06-2003, 12:25 PM   #11

mrestly HB User
I would like to know if anyone can answer a question for me? My husband has to get a pain pump put in next week and I seen where people had 1 , 2 , 3 ect, trials first. What does that mean?? I understood that it is put in for good. please email me if anyone knows what it is like and what the trials are for. Thanks.

------------------
MJ

Old 08-06-2003, 12:26 PM   #12

mrestly HB User
My email is jmj62@pennswoods.net. if anyone can tell us about the pain pump trials. thanks again.

------------------
MJ

Old 08-06-2003, 01:01 PM   #13

Tiddgys HB User
Dear MJ..

When you have a pump put in you have to have a trial first to see if it will work for you, they don't just put one in..

Alot of people go in for just one day and have an injection of what ever they are going to put in the pump, then if that works and you get relief you may get another Injection like Linda did or that maybe it..

Or you maybe like me and get what is more like a realistic trial..

If any of these trials work you then get another date to have the permanent one put in at a later date.

I have got to go in for surgery they are going to place the Catherter in my spine then that will be attached to a pump that i will carry around outside my body in a shoulder bag for six weeks, But this is in England, in the USA I think they do this for just a week in most cases..I have to be in hospital a week then come home and go back every other day to report on how i'm doing and get refilled..

When is your hubbie going in? i will be going in for mine in 8 days from now..

Best wishes..

Tiddgys..xx

------------------
lower Lumber probs.
No better after fusion.
2 Discograms
Lots of physio..
2 MRI'S
Water Theraphy..
1 Bone scan
1 Cat Scan
Loads of ESI'S
No better after fusion.
2 Discograms
Lots of physio..
2 MRI'S
Water Theraphy..
1 Bone scan
1 Cat Scan
Loads of ESI'S

Old 08-07-2003, 08:14 AM   #14

mrestly HB User
Hi Tiddgys,,,, Thanks for the letter. I am sorry to hear you had to go threw so much. We just got a call from the Dr. and Joe(hubby) has to go in today for his trial. We didn't understand what all they done but you are right, they have to see if it works first. Some people had a few trials and they is what threw me.
The Dr. said he goes in today (Thur) and Monday they will put the pump in and he will be released 2 days after.
It is very scary, but seeing this board and all the nice people that write in and give heklp is GREAT!
Joe was hurt years ago, back in the 80's on a drillinf rig, and over the years he had problems, It got sooo bad that he was suicidal. He had the gun out many times. He was in the hospital for depression 5 times. we even split up for a whole year without even talking, that is how bad it got, but we got back together 5 months ago. I knew what he was going threw, and I love him. Now maybe he can live a half way normal life. WE ARE PRAYING> but anyway, sorry for the bool.....ha ha. We will let you know what happens, he is going in the hospital in about 2 hrs. Thanks again. Joe also says thanks. Good luck to
you. take care.

------------------
MJ

Old 08-07-2003, 10:15 AM   #15

Tiddgys HB User
MJ..
I wish you the best of luck with your Husbands trial..

And hopefully if it works he will then have it put in Monday..

Lets us know how it all goes..

Tiddgys xx
No better after fusion.
2 Discograms
Lots of physio..
2 MRI'S
Water Theraphy..
1 Bone scan
1 Cat Scan
Loads of ESI'S

Closed Thread