It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2003, 12:10 AM   #1
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
Question knife-like pain in muscle next to shoulder blade?

Hey everyone...
I'm just very frustrated with my shoulder pain. It's like someone has a very large knife stuck in the muscle right next to my right shoulder blade. Sometimes it feels like the knife is being twisted. My doctor said it sounds like muscle spasms and nerve compression. I just wonder if this is the case, why the muscle relaxers aren't helping in any way, shape, or form.. To me, I feel like there should be a better explanation for this pain. I'm serious the pain is horrible. I has surgery on May 20th, and this pain started maybe 1-2 weeks later. I don't know what in the world caused it. The only explanation my doctor and I can come up with is this: Somehow during surgery, since I was laid on my right side with my arms crossed against my chest and I was wrapped tightly in a blanket to keep me from moving... I was only sedated for the surgery (which I was against anyways) and I happened to wake up in the middle of everything.. I started fighting and struggling, and perhaps I might've injured myself at the time when I was trying to get free from the blanket that was so tightly wrapped around my arms.. I was extremely upset about waking up in the middle of things, and I wasn't put back to sleep. Luckily they used local anesthetic as well, but it hurt like hell even with that.. (By the way, they were removing a lymph node from behind my left ear, if you were wondering what surgery I was having performed.)

Anyways, My question is this.... Does this sound like muscle and nerve pain to you guys? Nothing has shown up on the spinal CT (no contrast used, because they just looked at bone) or x-rays...I haven't had an MRI done at all, and I'm hoping they do suggest it, for maybe they'll find an answer. It feels like this has become a chronic pain issue...I just wonder if they found out what is wrong, maybe they'll be able to fix it and I won't have to be on narc's as much... (The low back, TMJ, and headache pains are easily dealt with, but this shoulder thing outweighs them all put together x2.) Has anyone experienced this knife like pain in this area? Does anyone else have a suggestion as to what could be causing this pain?

I've mentioned this all before, but I haven't asked any specific questions regarding this until now.. I've just really been trying to get a better explanation as to what is causing the pain. My doc does weekly to bi-weekly adjustments to try and help this. It usually seems to cause the symptoms to flare up even worse for the rest of the day... It's just all so weird... I had a previous rotator cuff injury and I also had bursitis (shoulder joint) and tendonitis (deltoid tendon) previously in the same shoulder... But this is all next to the blade... Between it and the spine... So my doctor thinks its all unrelated. The pain is constant. At the same time it started, I also had strep throat... It seemed weird... I had strep, and the shoulder pain started... Strep doesn't go elsewhere, does it? Could it have gone to my shoulder for some reason??? I know I should all just ask my doc this, but my appointment isn't until Thursday. The strep throat went away like 1 week after I got antibiotics for it, so thats why I feel its unrelated also. Just seemed weird to all have started at the same time. And if it can go to other parts of the body, and if it did, wouldn't the antibiotics have helped it as well??!

Sorry to have gone on for so long, I just am getting so frustrated being in so much pain, especially since my meds are no longer working very well. I took my meds just 2 hours ago, and I'm at a 8.5 right now on the pain scale. Talk about frustrating. Thank God I am being referred to PM and go in less than a month.. I hope to God he will give me a stronger and longer lasting med... I've now become completely tolerant to hydrocodone, AND percocet 7.5's. I'm a little worried about apap levels, but not too much. I don't take more than 3grams of apap a day (I take about 6 pills in a 24hr period with 500mg's each pill)......

Any help or suggestions would be so much appreciated.. I was also wondering if anyone knew what meds are considered after percocets... Will they just up my dose, or give me something completely...??

Thank you all for reading and thanks in advance for any advice given.

I love you all so much! Thanks again!
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif Crystal

------------------
-21 year old chronic pain patient..
-Have a transitional vertebrae @ s1.
-adhesions from years of not knowing gallbladder was bad then had it removed, lots of abdominal pain now...
-Chronic severe migraines, and tension headaches... Taking Imitrex for migraines.. Working well...
-Lots of low back and mid back pain growing up.. Now having lots of knifelike shoulder pain between spine and shoulder blades..
-Pain overall between 7-9 everyday without meds.. But when meds are present, (and not wearing off) I'm between 4-7..
-Moderate case of TMJ
-Hypoglycemic
-Asthmatic
-Lots of throbbing pain in left knee and left arm from previous fractures..
-Meds I'm taking now : Percocet 7.5/500 every 4 hrs as need for pain, Flexeril 10mg 2x/day, Tofranil 20mg @ bedtime, Imitrex for migraines, Phenergan for nausea/vomitting, Albuterol for asthma... That's all I can think of for now..hehe...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2003, 12:12 AM   #2
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
I also wanted to mention that I've only been sleeping about every other night... Is this insomnia? I mean NO sleep at all except every other day... Not even a nap. I can't fall asleep at all for like 36 hours at a time! I'm getting very frustrated with this also.. Thank you guys so much!

Old 08-12-2003, 01:14 AM   #3

HikingFan HB User
Crystal

What you are describing does indeed sound like muscle spasms. They are best described (at least, this is how they feel in me) as knife-like, twisting, hot, and tight. I have tried every muscle relaxer in the book, and nothing helps. The only thing that has helped is lidocaine patches. They are non-narcotic, and just a local anethestic that sticks to your skin overtop where the muscle hurts. Also, Motrin can help with the imflammation. Ask your pain doc...he might let you try the patches. There are no real side effects, so not much to lose. Also, my PT taught me a simple exercise to help relax the shoulder spasms when they start. Maybe ask your doctor about this. Its hard to describe the move, its kinda like, you lay down on your back flat, and move your head straight back, as if your being hit in the face with a pie (silly, i know, but the only way I know how to describe it). Hold for 12-15 seconds, repeat 3 times. It sounds simple, but it works for me.

This is what I really wanted to write you about....
My pain in my shoulders started when I had a lymph node removed from behind my right ear!!!!! It stayed swollen after I had a few rounds of strep, and my doc wanted to take it out in case it was cancerous. Ever since, I've had shoulder spasms. My major neck injury came a year later, but that was definitely what started it. Wierd!! I remember when my doc told me pre-op that there was chance that he could cut a nerve, but I didn't ask many questions about it. After the surgery, I returned to him because I had these wierd numb/shooting cold pains up the back of my skull starting at the incision site, and he just gave me 100 percs, and told me to go to my PCP because he couldn't help anymore. My PCP told me she had no idea what he was talking about. Typical good care, right?

Anyhow, how wierd is that?? I wonder if there is a correlation between a nerve near the lymph nodes and the shoulder muscle with regards to nerve pain and muscle spasms??

Write me back and tell me more about your story, kay?

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Sara

Old 08-12-2003, 02:34 AM   #4
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
Sara-
I've been given a number of PT stretches I do everyday. None have helped me yet. And I've tried these stretches you told me about as well. Still, no help... Anyhoo, That is super strange this happened to us both after the same surgery.. Coincidence, I think not. This almost has to be caused from this, don't you think? Otherwise, why in the world would we both have these same pains, after the same exact surgery?! I'm going to talk to my doc about this... Let him know I talked to someone who had this same surgery and has these same shoulder issues. I didn't really think about the cutting through a nerve thing, but I wonder if there's a nerve behind the ear that is associated with the muscle by the shoulder blade...

I'm not sure exactly what you wanted me to tell you about my story... I wanted to tell you also, I can't take motrin anymore...NSAIDS and my stomach don't get along too well. I was on 800mg's of Ibuprofen 3x a day for quite a while, and they started making my stomach hurt a LOT and I was told to not take them anymore... One time I tried one of those hot&cold patches... Like Icyhot or whatever..I put it on my shoulder, and it made it hurt SO bad...I took it off 20 minutes later and cried until my percocet kicked in.. Of course I couldn't get the pill myself, luckily while I was crying on the floor, my bf went and got me some water and a pill.. It was horrible. I promised myself and my poor shoulder I'd NEVER do that again!

Anyways, I can't believe this... I can't believe you and I have had the same surgery and since have the SAME shoulder pain. It's just so strange. Especially since you and I seem to be such good friends on here. I mean if I were to say I had a best friend on the healthboards, I'd say it was you. And we have this same condition.... I too have other pain issues along with this... I can't get over the weirdness of this whole thing... There has to be some kind of correlation, most definitely. I too was having a lot of pain after surgery (around the incision site), and went back to my ENT and he gave me 60 perc's and said if the pain didn't go away, he'd have to send me to a neurologist. The pain subsided to a point. It's bearable at least. It's definitely not anything like it was the first month or so after surgery. It still hurts when I touch it and it seems to have a little bit of a weird itchy and numb/cold feeling around it. It was causing headaches also for a while, but not so much recently. Hmmmm...... I'm really trying to figure this out now. I'm going to have to discuss this with my doc...

So has your pain ever gone away from this? And are you still on the lidocaine patches? I am afraid of patches after this icyhot patch I tried! Also, which shoulder is your pain in? What's weird about mine, is it's the opposite side of the ear that was operated on. I hope your biopsy was negative! Mine was, thank God! That was the 3rd scare with cancer for me.. I'm not even sure what caused mine to be so inflamed and swollen, but I went through 2 rounds of antibiotics and steroids and it didn't so much as go down just a little. In fact it got a little bigger. So my doc said, It's gotta come out... I have to make sure it's benign. And it was... Were you put completely out for the surgery? They were going to put me completely under, but because of my asthma (even though I've never had a problem with anesthesia before) they wanted to just sedate me. I will NEVER again be sedated. I have never had a problem with sedation either, but I don't like waking up and knowing what's going on and having a doctor cutting into my head. I had nightmares for like a month afterwards. I will absolutely never be sedated. Nothing but general for me from now on!!!!

Well, girl, I just wanted to write back to tell you how weird that is...And you write me back again and let me know what you wanted to know more about my story, okay? Have a good night hun!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif
Crystal

P.S. Maybe one of us will get an answer and can help the other out!! I also wanted to ask how bad is this pain for you.. I'm telling you, mine is absolutely horrible... I'm like a 7 JUST from this pain...Plus all my other pain issues are included!

Old 08-13-2003, 03:15 PM   #5

lostsoul15204 HB User
H.C., I have had that pain tou are decribing since 3 weeks after I hurt my back in Nov. 02. The only pain med that have ever touched it were fentyl 100mcg and dilaudid. I have it on right side of left shoulder blade. I tried Trigger Point injections and as soon as th local wore off ,right back to a 8 or 9. I have never been formally diagnosed but from what I read about myofacial pain syndrome I think its that. Mine feels like a hard lump in muscle right there. I could never get the tennis ball or theracane thing to get spasm to release. permenantly locked forever I think!!!!! Or maybe if I can get rid of lower back pain on that side, I could get it to release. Good Luck and God Bless,

------------------
Rick

Old 08-13-2003, 04:11 PM   #6
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
Rick,
Thanks for your experience... I too have knots up and down my back. I've had them my entire life... I can't do anything to get them to go away. I've never been able to even get a real massage, because when they touch those knots, I go completely weak and if they push on them I sometimes even start crying. I don't know why I've got all those knots, but like I've said, they hurt like h***, and they won't go away. I also have a knot in my shoulder blade area, but I don't know what causes my pain...It confuses me.... I haven't had anything tried for me....except PT stretches. They make spasms worse. And, my percocets only bring my 7-9 pain 1 point or so from where it starts at. and it only works for an hour... then I'm hurting really bad again. Speaking of hurting really bad. It's time to take meds... I am REALLY hurting today. Talk to you guys later. Thanks for writing!

Crystal

Old 08-13-2003, 05:50 PM   #7

Disavowed HB User
Crystal, this is only a suggestion but what you have sounds exactly the same thing my mother had about 15 years ago in her shoulder blade...it turned out to be a fatty tumor or a lipoma....what could have aggravated it was the pressure you put on it during surgery...you mentioned knots....

I also have experience with these fatty tumors...about this time last year, I began have pain while at work sitting all day...the pain got worse....took medical leave etc...pain did not go away...took PT....nothing helped....also was having chiropractic adjustments...all during this time, I was telling the dr's about a "knot" that I had for years right at the low low back on the natural dimpling where our buttocks meets our back....dr's told me all kinds of things that it was, but none acknowledged it could be cause of my pain....well...I lost my job because of the pain, like a sharp hot poker...just by my tailbone...three inches or 4 just down from the knot...I ran into a woman on the internet on another board who described the same thing I had....she called it a "lipoma"....I went to my dr and sure enough that is what it was....I had surgery to have it removed...it was the size of a walnut....my surgeon said that many times these things press on nerves and are in the fascia of our muscles which makes them painful...some dr's will argue that lipomas are not supposed to hurt....but experience has told me they do....as it turned out, it was the same type of fatty tumor my mother had years ago....so they do tend to run in families...and can be located on many areas of the body...with the back being a prime location....there is a support forum for this condition....some people have many...while others like myself, had that one....I would like to report that the pain has all gone...but it had been there so long, it had probably done a little damage....so I am slowly making progress...I am now in massage therapy to relax the muscle in my back that this lipoma was affecting....I know your condition also sounds similar to the other poster above....but this is just something I am throwing out there....from what I understand MRI's do not always pick up these fatty tumors....I have heard where the MRI has to be set on a specific level in order to do that...but mainly...I suppose they have to be felt to know they are there if Mri does not pick up...these things are hard ... and I know that when they are laid on....they only get worse...and massage therapy can even make them worse....it was funny, but before I had this knot removed...massage therapy would help a day or so...and then go right back to where it was...but now that it is gone...massage therapy is doing the job it was intended to do....I hope that you find an answer soon....I know it is frustrating....good luck...

Old 08-13-2003, 06:24 PM   #8
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
Disavowed-
Thank you for your information. I appreciate telling me your story, and I can ask my doc about it. These knots I have are ALL OVER my back, neck, and shoulders. Whenever someone tries to give me a massage, I feel like they're bruising the crap out of me, and feel bruised for days afterwards, even when they touch on my arm how actually lightly they were touching and I was crying and screaming out in pain from what feels like to me someone digging a finger into my muscles and they're barely touching me!

Anyways, I am really looking for explanations, any possible answer to what could possibly be going on. I'm just not understanding what could have possibly caused this.

Thank you again so much for your information. I will ask my doc about if this could possibly be a lipoma. Any answers for me are greatly appreciated.

Anyways-I'm really really hurting now... I was clutzy and just knocked my keyboard holder thingy off while I was leaning on it somehow, not really sure how, but of course it crashed to the floor, and so did i. I cried for about 20 minutes from the pain. I hit my left arm and shoulder and it's still throbbing and burning from the pain. I don't know what I did... I also hit my spine on the toilet the other day.. It's like I keep making myself in even more pain. And it really sucks, because my meds don't even help the pain I already had let alone these pains from the clutzy crap I keep accidently doing to myself... I'm stopping crying finally, but it sure hurt like hell. And my spine is swollen where I hit it on the toilet bowl a few days ago... Hope I didn't hurt anything major!....

Crystal

Old 08-13-2003, 11:03 PM   #9

CoffeeGirl HB User
Exclamation

Interesting.

This is how some of my pain started. It was excruciating. I couldn't move my arm or neck. I had a lymph node removed on my right side. It was after that that the worst of the pain developed.

My pain doc suggested trigger point injections. I'm open to new things but just don't feel very hopeful about them. I am currently taking Topamax and Baclofen. What are others doing??

Old 08-14-2003, 01:51 AM   #10
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
Coffeegirl,
My doc has been px'ing me Percocet 7.5's and Flexeril's since the pain began. Well, at first I was given Ultracets for the pain. They didn't really do anything so he gave me Lortab 5's, but my tolerance was already pretty high from them, and after another bottle of them, they no longer helped at all. I was then px'ed the Percocets. They are now no longer helping very much at all, and I have been referred to a pain mgmt doc. I haven't been yet, and won't until 9/9. I am not sure what he will intend on doing, but he might try trigger point injections, but I'm not sure. My PCP also gave me stretches to do, but they just seem to make the spasms/pain worse. I get weekly to bi-weekly adjustments by my PCP (who is a D.O.) until I get into the PM clinic. It's weird that this has happened to us, there must be some sort of correlation.

Anyways, I am not sure that I have much faith in trigger point injections, and am afraid this will be my new pain doc's only option for me. I really hope he gives me a new med for the pain. I was given different NSAID's for pain issues in my low back, and was offered them for my pain in my shoulder blade, but then after discussing how they made my stomach hurt and my Sulfa allergy with my doc, he decided that Celebrex, Vioxx, Ibuprofen 800's and other NSAIDs weren't a very good idea...

I don't blame your hesitancy for the injections. I think i'd be very reluctant as well. I haven't heard many success stories, and don't really care to go through unneed pain for something that doesn't help my pain.

Well, Coffeegirl, I hope one of us will soon find a much needed answer for our pains. But promise me if you find one, you'll let us that suffer from the same problem know what you find out!

Keep me updated on things!! By the way, are you experiencing the same pain in the shoulder blade area after lymph node excision behind the ear? Just trying to clarify, because you weren't exactly specific.

Thanks for your reply!

Crystal

------------------
-21 year old chronic pain patient..
-Have a transitional vertebrae @ s1.
-adhesions from years of not knowing gallbladder was bad then had it removed, lots of abdominal pain now...
-Chronic severe migraines, and tension headaches... Taking Imitrex for migraines.. Working well...
-Lots of low back and mid back pain growing up.. Now having lots of knifelike shoulder pain between spine and shoulder blades..
-Pain overall between 7-9 everyday without meds.. But when meds are present, (and not wearing off) I'm between 4-7..
-Moderate case of TMJ
-Hypoglycemic
-Asthmatic
-Lots of throbbing pain in left knee and left arm from previous fractures..
-Meds I'm taking now : Percocet 7.5/500 every 4 hrs as need for pain, Flexeril 10mg 2x/day, Tofranil 20mg @ bedtime, Imitrex for migraines, Phenergan for nausea/vomitting, Albuterol for asthma... That's all I can think of for now..hehe...

Old 08-14-2003, 08:32 AM   #11

harleycat HB User
Hey Hockey..

I was reading that you are having a lot of trouble sleeping and looking at your meds, any number of them can cause insomnia. Believe it or not, I used to get insomnia with Percocet! Both Albuterol and Imitrex can cause insomnia.

Here are some suggestions that may help..

Avoid caffiene, especially after dinner
Try a dairy product before bed..milk, cheese, yogurt, even ice cream. The milk contains L-Tryptophan which helps promote sleep.
Bed is for sleep and (dare I say) sex only. No reading, watching TV, paying bills, etc.
A hot bath with some really nice bath oil can promote sleep but you should go to bed right after the bath. ( not always easy with kids!)
Avoid alchohol..easy enough for us with all our pain meds. Alchohol promotes "false sleep"
If possible, time your meds so you take them several hours before bed time or right before you hit the pillow so they don't hit your system until you are asleep.
If you are not asleep within 20 minutes, get up out of bed and go to another room. Read a book or watch TV until you are sleepy. They say if you lie awake in bed you get more and more frustrated about your inability to fall asleep.

Of all the above, the dairy products helped me the most. I used to eat a yogurt right before bed and it worked great.

Jennifer

Old 08-14-2003, 11:00 AM   #12
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
Thanks Jennifer.. I didn't know that these meds can cause insomnia... I knew tofranil can make insomnia worse, but none of the others. So basically all my meds are keeping me up.. heh.... Thanks for the tips, I've done a lot of them already, including the dairy thing... And I have to use my bed for other purposes than just sex and sleep. I can't go elsewhere in my house to just hang out and watch TV..I don't have a chair in my room other than this chair which I definitely do not want to sit on for long periods of time because it's wooden. I doubt that's whats making things so hard though... I've never ever had an insomnia problem....til now.

Old 08-14-2003, 08:42 PM   #13

HikingFan HB User
Crystal

I agree about the comment to try getting out of your bed/room more. I know this is hard living with your grandparents, but the more you regulate yourself to only think of the bed as a place to sleep, it will come much more naturally. When you do everything else in bed, you then try to tell yourself, "now its time to sleep," and your body isn't in that mindset. I swear it helps to try and reserve the bed only for sleeping. I doubted it too at first, but when I incorporated this in my life, it really helped. Maybe spend more time in general away from the house if thats what it takes.

Sara

Old 08-14-2003, 11:24 PM   #14
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
You guys misunderstood me I think. I'm not doubting at all that this would work, I'm just saying it is practically impossible in my house if I want peace from my family. Anyways, I really am not trying to sound rude or anything, but I really don't want to spend more time away from my bedroom. I have everything in here... My bf and I rent movies quite often, and we have to watch them in here... I have the DVD player and VCR in my room... If I were to go elsewhere I'd disturb other family members or try to fight them off to use another part of the house. It's just simply easier to get along with them. And I can't really get out of the house more either... I don't really have any friends here where I live, so that's out of the question to go to a friends house. The only option is my bf's place, but he's moving back in with his parents, and school's starting soon and he has a younger sister who's in high school, so his parents are really strict about how late they have friends over. Therefore, my only option is here.. I also study in my room, on my bed where I'm not in so much pain. I'm not trying to be rude or make excuses, or even deny that this will work. But I am glad that my insomnia for the past couple nights has been a little less out of hand. And my doc today upped my dosage on my anti-depressant which is supposedly supposed to help my sleep. And he recommended getting an over the counter sleeping pill, which I already have, for when I absolutely can't fall asleep. I used it last night, and slept wonderfully. So, I honestly apologize for not taking your advice, but I'd probably end up making things worse with my family... My grandpa and I already don't get along too well, and we fight quite a bit... So I try to stay out of his face as much as possible. Because the less I'm around him the better he acts when he actually sees me... PLUS, when he gets in his moods, if he ticks me off, I go off too, and 2 hot tempered people aren't very good together.... I once told him to kiss my *** after he got a smart mouth with me and said some things that really upset me (one of the things he said was he was gonna get rid of my dog...) and then he slammed me up against the wall by the throat, and threatened me to get out of his house before he beat the hell out of me. It was pretty ridiculous, but things have calmed down since that incident a little over a year ago... And I just try to stay out of his way.. Do you blame me?! hah... Anyways, guys, honestly sorry again for not taking you up on your advice, but I really really thank you for all your suggestions.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif you all!
Crystal

Old 08-14-2003, 11:59 PM   #15
(male)

hottrodd HB User
Crystal,

Sounds like you have a pretty rought time at home. I only hope things can start looking better for you. I sometimes find myself thinking about you through my day, knowing your having a lot of pain, family, and personal problems, wishing you the best. I guess I am lucky in a sense of having the ability to just get out of the house, or go out with my wife to have some fun. Being locked in your room has to get to you sometimes? I know you don't have much of a choice!

This weekend we are going to the beach for a BBQ that my wife's work is throwing "FREE food! *lol

Then on Saturday we are going to the Long Beach Aqauarium to take our son. He is only 5 months old, and even though he will not remember, it will still be a fun family trip. He is a good baby, sleeps all night, doesn't cry. I guess we got blessed. I bet the second one will be a terror! *lol

Although that's a ways away, hopefully.

We are both first time parents and just getting used to our first one.

So I guess that's my way of escaping, and I also watch a lot of movies. My DVD collection is ridiculous, since I only go to the theatre when it's a "HAVE" to see movie. I hate crowded theatres, too loud, can't enjoy the movie.

Even though I am in pain most of the time on these outings, I just take meds with me and try and make the best of it. I do actually have some good days, and I guess that keeps my hope up. This last week I had one whole day, but still.. One whole day I didn't have to take any narcs, only muscle relaxers. I am almost absolutely refusing to let my son grow up and me be the Dad who can't run and play with him. I just hope I get get my diagnosis and find a treatment that works. I get so pi$$ed off, especially when we go dancing, which I hurt the next day, but SO worth it, I can't enjoy a few social drinks at the bar, when were out. It get's to me..

Anyway, I am WAY off topic now.. I just wanted to say.. I hope you find some answers, hope you get a better med or whatever it takes for you to enjoy life again, and hopefully you can one day have a place of your own, no matter what it takes to get there.

Have a good night
hottrodd (Rod)

PS.. I have knots too, my chiro pushes on them hard to release the cramping, it works for me. Your knots might be different. I don't cry but it REALLY hurts alot. I go home and for that day it's much better and more relaxed. I just whine and take the pain, knowing it feels better after. Have you tried a TENS unit?

------------------
* 27 years old, male
*Chronic upper back pain for about 6 years, recently getting really bad, really stiff in the morning takes forever to get going, lasts all day everyday.
*Crackling sounds from rib cage area across upper and middle back when stretching.
* Pain, tightness and burning all day long, usually ranges from a 4 through 9 depending on the day and how my body wants to react. Usually it's at least a 6/7 all day recently, used to be an annoying 3/4 all day, which I lived with but hated.
*Problem areas are mainly around breastbone area of chest, across shoulder blades, dead center upper back, upper shoulders and back of neck. Feels as if it's muscles and bones/joints, possibly ribs.
*Muscles spasms, had a couple that were severe enough to go to ER, felt like I was having a heart attack, pain radiated through upper back to chest area.
*Taking Vicodin 5/500 Soma 350 and Celebrex 200, which also helps somewhat but not to where I am not bothered by the pain, burning, tightness ect..
*Chiropractic 3 years, PT on and off again, all of which produces results that do not last for more than the day I have them.
*Can't remember any trauma I had that would have caused all this. Don't understand how it's getting worse.
*Can't really do anything, lifting, heavy physical ect.. Try and walk and stretch when I can.
*Still undiagnosed and waiting

[This message has been edited by hottrodd (edited 08-15-2003).]

Closed Thread