It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2003, 01:48 PM   #1
(male)

lgriffincsa HB User
Post Looking for Pain Dr. in NC

I need help finding a good PM Dr. in NC. Central to Eastern would be preferable, but anywhere is appreciated. I currently have a PM Dr., but my pain is not adaquatly being treated. I am convinced that I need to be moved to a long acting med, instead of the short acting percocet that I am currently taking. 4 per day a prescribed keeps me on a rollercoaster ride of up and down pain levels, mostly up. I get 2, sometimes 3 hours of adaquate releif from my current meds (pain level 2-3) and then sudden increases to levels of 7-8 for the other 3 or 4 hours before I can take my next pill. I tried the duragesic patch, and it worked great at controling my pain, took it to 0. Problem is, I had major problems breathing, vomiting, headaches, and nightmares. My Ortho's PA, who wast treating me until last week when he left the practice told me to ask my current PM Dr. about switching me to Oxycontin. I asked him about it and he told me "we dont like that medicine in this practice". I guess I need a PM Dr. who does like that medicine, or atleast is not afraid of it.Methadone or MS Contin are meds that I am willing to try also. My present PM beleives in either the Duragesic patch or IR meds.and thats it. Every time I visit his office, the Duragesic sales rep. is there. I am certain that the Dr. must get some sort of a kickback for prescribing that med. If anyone has any NC Dr.'s that they could refer me to I would greatly appreciate that information. Thank you

------------------
1998-Major rear-end colision
1998-mid2000-Chiropractic care
2000-mid2002-Pain level increased drasticly. No insurance, took a combo of every OTC painreleiver imaginable.
2002-MRI/ L3/L4 and L4/L5 annular bulging; DDD L4-5 and L5-S1
2003 February- Orthopeadic Spinal Surgeon said not a candidate for surgery,Percocet 5/325 every 6 hrs.
2003 June-1 month at PM clinic, Percocet 7.5/325 every 4 hrs.
08JULY2003-Had Discogram, comfirmed pain comming from L4-L5 disc.Followup confirms tear at L4/L5, pushing on a nerve.
JULY2003-Duragesic patch, had allergic reaction, switched to Norco. Norco provides no releif. Dr. wants me to have IDET. NOPE!!
I can only work for 3-4 hrs per day/ 2/3 days per week with current meds. I beleive I could function/work normal hours with stronger, timereleased meds. Surgery is NOT an option at this time.
2003 February- Orthopeadic Spinal Surgeon said not a candidate for surgery,Percocet 5/325 every 6 hrs.
08JULY2003-Had Discogram, comfirmed pain comming from L4-L5 disc.Followup confirms tear at L4/L5, leaking and pushing on a nerve.
JULY2003-Duragesic patch, had allergic reaction, switched to Norco. Norco provides no releif. Dr. wants me to have IDET. NOPE!!
14AUG2003- New PM Dr. switched me to Oxycontin, 20mg/2x a day.
Lorocet+ 2x per day, no releif. Need 3x/day Oxycontin, or ESI's to start to help.
EMG says severe nerve irritation in lower back. Shows legs ok.
06SEPT03-Severe butt/leg/foot pain, suddenly while driveing, feels like constant electrial shock, I am worried about symptom change.
Sept.12,2003-ESI, no releif.
Oct.6,2003-ESI, no releif.
Oct.20,2003-Caudal epidural steroid injection. Provided @ 20% reduction in back pain. Nuccloplasty suggested by Dr. if Caudal fails.
Surgery is NOT an option at this time, due to meds working good (better with 3x/day doseing), long recovery time, possible failure/ need to have surgery again in a few years due to DDD.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2003, 04:05 AM   #2
(male)

lgriffincsa HB User
Just to let y'all know that I had my appt. with the new pain dr. on the 14th. After looking at my MRI, and reviewing my CT report from my discogram, he has me on 10mg. Oxycontin 3X per day. He told me to keep taking my percocet for breakthru. He has me scheduled to come back in 2 weeks, to have an EMG test. He also wasnt satified with the CT report form my d/g, so he called the hospital for the d/g report. He said that he expects to have to raise my meds dose at my next visit. I am so happy that I found this guy. I had to sign a narcotic agreement with him, so now I have 2 narc. agreements. I know that I have violated the one with my old PM dr., so I am sending them a letter via registered mail out today, notifiying them that I will no longer be their patient. I will also call them. I told them in the letter that it was because of my insurance, and thanked them for their help. I dont want to burn any bridges, but I had still rather tell them that I think they are the sorriest excuse for a PM clinic I have seen. Thanks

------------------
2000-mid2002-Pain level increased drasticly. No insurance, took a combo of every OTC painreleiver imaginable.
08JULY2003-Had Discogram, comfirmed pain comming from L4-L5 disc.Followup confirms tear at L4/L5, pushing on a nerve.
I can only work for 3-4 hrs per day/ 2/3 days per week with current meds. I beleive I could function/work normal hours with stronger, timereleased meds. Surgery is NOT an option at this time.

[This message has been edited by lgriffincsa (edited 08-18-2003).]
08JULY2003-Had Discogram, comfirmed pain comming from L4-L5 disc.Followup confirms tear at L4/L5, leaking and pushing on a nerve.
Lorocet+ 2x per day, no releif. Need 3x/day Oxycontin, or ESI's to start to help.
06SEPT03-Severe butt/leg/foot pain, suddenly while driveing, feels like constant electrial shock, I am worried about symptom change.
Oct.20,2003-Caudal epidural steroid injection. Provided @ 20% reduction in back pain. Nuccloplasty suggested by Dr. if Caudal fails.
Surgery is NOT an option at this time, due to meds working good (better with 3x/day doseing), long recovery time, possible failure/ need to have surgery again in a few years due to DDD.

Old 08-18-2003, 05:01 AM   #3
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
Glad you found a good doc I'm happy for you!!! And I hope you are receiving relief as well as having a good doc that wants to figure out whats going on. Again, Congrats!

Have a good day!
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif
Crystal

------------------
-21 year old chronic pain patient..
-Have a transitional vertebrae @ s1.
-adhesions from years of not knowing gallbladder was bad then had it removed, lots of abdominal pain now...
-Chronic severe migraines, and tension headaches... Taking Imitrex for migraines.. Working well...
-Lots of low back and mid back pain growing up.. Now having lots of knifelike shoulder pain between spine and shoulder blades..
-Pain overall between 7-9 everyday without meds.. But when meds are present, (and not wearing off) I'm between 4-7..
-Moderate case of TMJ
-Hypoglycemic
-Asthmatic
-Lots of throbbing pain in left knee and left arm from previous fractures..
-Meds I'm taking now : Percocet 7.5/500 every 4 hrs as need for pain, Flexeril 10mg 2x/day, Tofranil 20mg @ bedtime, Imitrex for migraines, Phenergan for nausea/vomitting, Albuterol for asthma... That's all I can think of for now..hehe...

Old 08-18-2003, 06:29 AM   #4
(male)

lgriffincsa HB User
HockeyCrystal,
Thanks for the support! I am so releived that there are still good Dr.'s out there. The only drawback to my new Dr. is that he is 3 hours away, and I have to go and see him every month for refills of my scripts. This is however a price that I will gladly pay to get some releif. Hope you have a great day.

------------------
14AUG2003- New PM Dr. switched me to Oxycontin, with percocet for breakthru untill my dose is stable. Scheduled for EMG. Thank God for this Dr.
I can only work for 3-4 hrs per day/ 2/3 days per week with current meds. I think this will inprove when I am on a stable dose of my meds; real soon I hope.
Surgery is NOT an option at this time.

Old 08-18-2003, 06:59 PM   #5
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
I am also always relieved everytime I hear someone give a good report on their pm docs... I haven't been to mine yet, don't go until 9/9 and hopefully I'll have a good visit too. I'm sorry yours is 3 hours away, but at least you're getting relief! I too would pay this price if I had to! Hope you had a good day!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif
Crystal

Old 08-18-2003, 07:13 PM   #6

rainey24 HB User
Question

Okay, lgriffin, PLEASE let me know who your new pm doc is -- I am having such a hard time with my current docs (not pm docs), and I just need some help! If you can't post the name, for some reason, please let me know, and I'll give you my email address. I would SO appreciate it!

-- chronic moderate-to-severe abdominal pain, mostly due to adhesions from multiple abdominal surgeries, ovarian cysts, ovarian remnant, etc.

Old 08-18-2003, 09:28 PM   #7
(male)

lgriffincsa HB User
Share Information Within the Guidelines

You may always name products or services and tell your opinions about them. Naming doctors/cities/states is OK, just do not post any off-board contact information

The above is from the Policies and Guidelines of this site. So to be safe, the best info I can give you is look up Dr. Buttar in Raleigh NC. He is very kind and compassionate from what I have seen, I have only had 1 visit with him, but he has helped me way more than the 5 Dr.'s before him. I hope you find him, and I hope you find releif.

------------------
14AUG2003- New PM Dr. switched me to Oxycontin, with percocet for breakthru untill my dose is stable. Scheduled for EMG. Thank God for this Dr.
I can only work for 3-4 hrs per day/ 2/3 days per week with current meds. I think this will inprove when I am on a stable dose of my meds; real soon I hope.

Old 08-19-2003, 05:39 AM   #8
Inactive

mokita HB User
Thumbs up

Griff!!!!!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

So HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!! Thank Goodness! You kept looking....and you found yourself who will help you! WOW...isn't that an awesome feeling?

Karen http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

------------------
9/22/00 24 hour labor, baby posterior, left tailbone killing me
12/00 MRI -normal-but pain still-began taking vicodin
2/8/02 - 2nd baby born - Csection-healthy girl
2000-11/02 various PT + pain meds
11/02 Referred to Neuro
3/03 NEW MRI - slight bulge L3-L4, DDD, neural foramen,Superior aspect S1 and L5 Nerve root involvement-Neuro Refers to PM for ESI's
(2 Rt Transforaminal,1 lumbosacral,3rd one numbed tailbone little
5/9 - Discogram - shows Tear L4 w/ significant leak onto nerves, DDD
Performing doc oversedated, False Negative
7/8- Dept Head ClCl consult
7/28 - ClevelClinic for Facet Injection, changed to Caudal Epidural after seeing xray of displaced coccyx;also,coccygeal manipulation
8/12 - 2nd caudal inj/no coccyx manip
8/14 -coccyx manip AGAIN
9/25 sched appt to begin tx on Disc Tear @ ClevelClinic

Old 08-19-2003, 03:57 PM   #9
(male)

lgriffincsa HB User
Karen,
You got that right, it is a wonderful feeling to finnaly fid a Dr. who beleives me, and who cares enough to help me out. I a so thankful for him. Thanks for the kudos!

------------------

Old 05-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
(female)

aimee27 HB User
Question Re: Looking for Pain Dr. in NC

My husband is having similar problems with his current pain doctor here in NC. We are seeking a new one, and pretty quickly. He has about 30 days of medication before it needs to be refilled. In that time we need to find someone new. Do you have any suggestions on pain clinics and doctors? We live in greensboro, but are willing to travel somewhat. We just need an understanding doctor that is easy to talk to and can suggest other options besides just medication.
Your help would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-09-2006, 05:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User
Re: Looking for Pain Dr. in NC

I have a great pain Dr in NC I am in the Asheville NC area his name is Dr Briane Bothe the number is 828 684-5507 he does prescribe Long Acting medications so I think he is GREAT....

good luck!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyslope View Post
I have a great pain Dr in NC I am in the Asheville NC area.
good luck!

Old 08-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Quote:
I have a great pain Dr in NC I am in the Asheville NC area he does prescribe Long Acting medications so I think he is GREAT....

good luck!

Last edited by slipperyslope; 08-04-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Quote:
I have a great pain Dr in NC I am in the Asheville NC area he does prescribe Long Acting medications so I think he is GREAT....

good luck!

Last edited by slipperyslope; 08-04-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Closed Thread