It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 08:53 AM   #1

LOVEQ HB User
Post Oxycontin HELP

Hi All,

I am so very happy to have found this wonderful sight.

I really need some help.

I have a disease that not to many Pain Management doctors are aware of, and it took me a while to find the current Pain Management doctor I currently have. The first couple of times I saw him I really liked him. Now I am not to sure. You see the last time I saw him over 2 weeks ago, I told him that the oxycontin that he has me on only last me 6 to 7 hours and the then stops working. He said well I am not giving you anymore then that. You are already on alot so no more. He then told me that he wants to talk to me next month about to some type of Surgery of Procedure with me. The problem I have is, there is not much he can do for me except give pain meds. I have a condition called Interstitial Cystitis I also have back problems but my pain management doctor wants to get this current pain under control first, then we will worry about the back.

I am only on 40mg 2 times a day of Oxy. I have been on this current dose for only 4 months. I don't know what I have to do to make him believe me that the oxy does not last the 12 hours. Any Advise her people?

Also I was wondering how oxy works. I have hurt it sits in your stomach and slowly releases, but what happens if you have to go to the bathroom alot, would it come out of your system sooner??? Just wondering maybe this could be my problem.

The oxy works great for my pain for the 6 to 7 hours then stops. He also put me on Lortab 5 ever 8 to 12 hours, which does nothing for me.

Also does anyone know of some articles that I could bring with me when I see my doctor next time, to make him see the light.

Thanks everyone in advance for all your help!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2003, 09:19 AM   #2

deered HB User
Love,

I don't know of any literature you can take to your DR I can tell you not to ley any one know you have Oxy because they will do anything to get it and you my darling do not want to withdrawl. My brother stole mine and I had to go 2 weeks without. I would have just a soon died and gone to hell then to ever feel that way again. Oxy has a coating on it the slowly releases the medicine into your body. It should work longer that 6 to 7 hours for you. Maybe you should try a different breakthrough medicine, I take 60 mg Oxycotin 2 times a day and percocet 10/325 for breakthrough and it seems to work for me. but everyone is different. You also haven't been taking it very long either. You can go to Google and do a search about Oxycitin and gives you alot of different things you can print out to take to your DR. Good Luck and Please be careful.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:27 AM   #3

Jiggy HB User
Oxycontin is time released..The 40mg tabs only last me every 8 hrs and I have to take something for breakthrough pain. Jiggy

Old 09-16-2003, 09:32 AM   #4
(female)

Mo7609 HB User
I have the same problem with it only lasting 8 hours. I let my Dr know that and next time I need a refill he is going to bump me to 3 a day. This seems like such a common problem with alot of people. I rarely hear of someone having it last the full 12 hours. Can you talk to your PCP instead of your PM Dr. Maybe they can work together to find a solution to the problem. Good luck! Mo

Old 09-16-2003, 11:12 AM   #5

Lanette HB User
my husband has several pain management problems including his back. He was also on oxycontin 80 mg 3x a day but he was taking meperidine with it and it helped more than loratab or anything else and it is I beleive demorall with fenergan (don't know if it's spelled right). Anyway he got alot of releif from it but its one of those pills that docs don't like to give like oxy and all the stuff that kicks pain out the door. His doctor retired and now he gets nothing until we can find a doctor that will truly try to keep him out of pain so keep in mind it's hard coming off all those pain meds too. This medical system stinks and all the doctors we've been to since has treated him as an abuser. He wants to just be able to get up in the morning and get some releif from the pain until we find out for sure what his diagnosis is. Nobody seems to want to take that much time to do it. But if your doctor will prescribe it maybe you should try it. He said it was the only thing that got him through the day. He has a high tolerance to meds, so it may be even better for you.

Old 09-16-2003, 11:15 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

surgicaldisaster HB User
Thumbs down

Shame on your Dr. for not knowing that IC does not have a cure...and how painful it is. It is devastating for many. What the heck kind of surgery would he think could "fix" that? I'm sorry you are being treated like this is makes me upset for you! If he refuses to change or up your breakthrough meds., perhaps it's time for a new more compassionate pm Dr? I wish I could help more, just wanted to offer my support. Love, Surgical Disaster

Old 09-16-2003, 12:54 PM   #7

LOVEQ HB User
surgicaldisaster,

Yes you sure are correct about IC and being very very painful.I appreciate you at least writing back. THANKS

deered
Yes, Thanks for your advise, but I am very aware not to tell anyone I am on these meds. I am very happy yours works for you, but you are also on a higher does to , soooo....
Thanks

Mo7609,

Thanks for bringing up taking to my PCP, but this guy could care less, besides he doesn't know much about my disease.

Well It is very hard to deal with anything feeling so ****ting and to be honest with you not have much support.

Thanks to those of you who answered me back.

Thanks

Old 09-16-2003, 01:24 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lindao1 HB User
Hi there LoveQ and welcome to the boards!

I've been on varying doses of Oxy for three years - a long time. For you to be getting apprx. 7 hours of relief is about right. I'm currently on 40 mg 3 times per day with Oxy IR's for bt and it worked quite well for me til the first part of this year when I developed a true tolerance to it. Then I had to go to the morphine pump for pain relief (a long story) as the dr. would not increase the oxy anymore. He said higher doses are for cancer patients but I know many on these boards are on higher doses and don't (thank God) have cancer. So every dr. is different. It is a good pain med in general but eventually you do build up a tolerance. I just can't imagine having a tolerance after only a few months. Granted the manufacturer states it lasts 12 hours but I've never gotten relief for that long. The most has been 8 hours and like I said it worked for 3 long years before I had problems with it.

I just think your dr. is afraid that if you ever needed more pain relief from say, surgery, or another acute situation, you would be in a fix if you had been on a much higher dose of the oxy.

I'll be the first to admit that no pain med in the world will get rid of all of your pain. But if it at least makes the pain more bearable, then it is doing its job.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you my experience and welcome you to the boards. You will find alot of support here. Good luck my friend, Linda

[This message has been edited by lindao1 (edited 09-16-2003).]

Old 09-16-2003, 01:43 PM   #9

LOVEQ HB User
Linda,

Thanks for your answer back to me.

Oxy does work very well for me like I have stated in my post, but stops working after 6 to 7 hours same as you. I also didn't ask my doctor to increase me dose , I was just telling him that it didn't least the 12 hours. Iam on Oxy 40 x2. I don't need a bigger dose, I need it taken more often then ever 12 hours and he just will not hear of it. I would even take a lower dose if he would up it every 8 hours.

Also with the disease I have, it is compared to the end stage of cancer Pain. Not cancer, but how cancer pain feels. I would not know what cancer pain feels like, I am just going by what I have heard about my disease. Also people that have this dease are on a hell of a lot more then me. I mean 5 times more then I take. I want to take the least amount with the best benefits. I am just trying to get out of bed and have a normal life. These are my reasons for being on drug, cause if I wasn't I would not be out of bed or be able to walk.ALso be in the ER every night. sooooo..... Iam sure you get my point.

It good to hear that I will be getting good support here.

Thanks Loveq

Old 09-16-2003, 02:39 PM   #10
Inactive

dwpavlik HB User
Cool

Hello
Just to back you up. I have been on oxy 40 mg x 4 per day. Right from the start i told my doctor that it does not last the 12 hours. He believed me and I was able to prove it to him. So I take the tabs every 6 hours and that is the best I can do with it. It does not take care of the pain I have but it is better than nothing for me. But once again it does not last 12 hours. Maybe 8 at best
Don http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gif

Old 09-16-2003, 02:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Wes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB User
a fast bowel will affect any oral time released medicine

Old 09-16-2003, 04:05 PM   #12
(female)

studey HB User
When I was on oxy. I had to take it 3 times a day, but there was So many ups and downs. Tried Kadian and there's no ups and downs. I take 120 in am and 60 in pm and that has worked good for me upuntil 1 month ago. Now I started using methadone 10 in am in 5 at pm. This regimene has saved my life so far. Maybe a switch could be disscussed If your Doc is unwilling to increase 3 x's a day. Hugs, Cindy

Old 09-16-2003, 04:56 PM   #13
(male)

lgriffincsa HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by dwpavlik:
Hello
Just to back you up. I have been on oxy 40 mg x 4 per day. Right from the start i told my doctor that it does not last the 12 hours. He believed me and I was able to prove it to him. So I take the tabs every 6 hours and that is the best I can do with it. It does not take care of the pain I have but it is better than nothing for me. But once again it does not last 12 hours. Maybe 8 at best
Don http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gif

I have been following this thread. You said that you were able to "prove" to your Dr. that the Oxycontin doesnt last for 12 hours for you. How did you prove it to him? I am on Oxycontin 20mg, 2X per day and it stops working for me also about 7-8 hours. I end up in pain for 8 hours after my morning dose, because if I take it earlier, then I wake up in the middle of the night in extreme pain. I take mine at 6am and 10pm. I need doseing at 6am, 2pm, and 10pm. I dont have any breakthru meds either. I see my doctor on the 25, for a followup from the ESI that I had on the 12th of this month. I want to ask for 3x per day doseing, or breakthru meds. I would really appreciate it if you told me how you proved to your dr. that it didnt work for 12 hours, so maybe I can convince my doc of the same thing. It might not be that hard, he did start me out on 3x per day doseing, but it was 10mg. 10mg took my pain from an 8 to a 6, sometimes a 5. The 20mg takes it from an 8 to 3or 4 which isnt great, but its bearable. I can work and enjoy life alot more now than I have been able to in atleast a year. The ESI, which is the 1st this doc has done, but the 3rd that I have had, has done nothing to releive my disc pain. I have to have 2 more, but I am going to try to talk the doc into increasing my meds, and my doseing frequency, and avoid any more injections. Please let me know how to prove that the medicine doesnt last 12 hrs. Thanks

------------------
1998-Major rear-end colision
1998-mid2000-Chiropractic care
2000-mid2002-Pain level increased drasticly. No insurance, took a combo of every OTC painreleiver imaginable.
2002-MRI/ L3/L4 and L4/L5 annular bulging; DDD L4-5 and L5-S1
2003 February- Orthopeadic Spinal Surgeon said not a candidate for surgery,Percocet 5/325 every 6 hrs.
2003 June-1 month at PM clinic, Percocet 7.5/325 every 4 hrs.
08JULY2003-Had Discogram, comfirmed pain comming from L4-L5 disc.Followup confirms tear at L4/L5, pushing on a nerve.
JULY2003-Duragesic patch, had allergic reaction, switched to Norco. Norco provides no releif. Dr. wants me to have IDET. NOPE!!
14AUG2003- New PM Dr. switched me to Oxycontin, 20mg/2x a day.
I need 8hr doseing as I get 100% releif for 7-8hrs then pain back to 7+.
EMG says severe nerve irritation in lower back. Shows legs ok.
06SEPT03-Severe butt/leg/foot pain, suddenly while driveing, feels like constant electrial shock, I am worried about symptom change.
3ESI's scheduled begining 12SEPT03
Surgery is NOT an option at this time, do to meds working great, long recovery time, possible failure and need to have surgery again.
2002-MRI/ L3/L4 and L4/L5 annular bulging; DDD L4-5 and L5-S1
2003 February- Orthopeadic Spinal Surgeon said not a candidate for surgery,Percocet 5/325 every 6 hrs.
2003 June-1 month at PM clinic, Percocet 7.5/325 every 4 hrs.
08JULY2003-Had Discogram, comfirmed pain comming from L4-L5 disc.Followup confirms tear at L4/L5, leaking and pushing on a nerve.
JULY2003-Duragesic patch, had allergic reaction, switched to Norco. Norco provides no releif. Dr. wants me to have IDET. NOPE!!
14AUG2003- New PM Dr. switched me to Oxycontin, 20mg/2x a day.
Lorocet+ 2x per day, no releif. Need 3x/day Oxycontin, or ESI's to start to help.
EMG says severe nerve irritation in lower back. Shows legs ok.
06SEPT03-Severe butt/leg/foot pain, suddenly while driveing, feels like constant electrial shock, I am worried about symptom change.
Sept.12,2003-ESI, no releif.
Oct.6,2003-ESI, no releif.
Oct.20,2003-Caudal epidural steroid injection. Provided @ 20% reduction in back pain. Nuccloplasty suggested by Dr. if Caudal fails.
Surgery is NOT an option at this time, due to meds working good (better with 3x/day doseing), long recovery time, possible failure/ need to have surgery again in a few years due to DDD.

Old 09-16-2003, 05:07 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User
Hi and welcome to the family loveq!! I am on mscontin and oxy ir for breakthrough. I was on oxycontin until yesterday and like you I find it works really good for around 6-7 hours. I made it 8 hours today on the mscontin but I'm not sure if it was just a really good day or not. I'll have to be on it for a few more days to know for sure. If it works longer for me I'll let you know and then maybe you could ask to try this one?

------------------
Hmm where should I begin?? Crohn's disease, sacroiilitis-crohn's related, scoliosis, spina bifida occulta, chronic myofascial pain, tmjd and migraines. Still waiting for bone scan and bone density test to tell me what else is wrong with me!! Too many surgeries to list!!

Old 09-17-2003, 04:41 AM   #15
(female)

chriztene HB User
There is an Interstitial Cystitis website with everything you need to know in regard to this disease. I would post the website, but, I do not want to get into trouble here.

I.C. can be a debilitating disease and I believe IC has been added to the dissability list. I, too, am on oxy and it doesnt last 12 hours. Fortunately, my dr. is aware of this. I find oxy lasting around 7 hours.

You might want to do a google search and find the IC website. May I ask what 'surgery' your doctor is wanting to do for I.C.? I am not aware of ANY surgery which can help IC sufferers...

Please get a second opinion if your dr. is suggesting removing your bladder!! I have a fabulous Pain management dr. and he advised me of Dr's who had removed the bladder in IC patients. I was amazed to learn that removing one's bladder does NOT alleviate your pain. My pm doctor went on to tell me that patients who have had their bladder removed can still have phantom pain.

My thoughts are with you as I can relate to your suffering:*( I had never heard of this disease prior to being diagnosed.

Best Wishes,

Chriztene

Closed Thread