It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 04:42 PM   #1
Inactive

PoloBailey HB User
Post Percocet vs. Duragesic Fentanyl Patch

I am using the Duragesic Fentanyl Patch along with Percocet for break through pain. I usually run out of my percocet about a week before my monthly doc visit and usually have some extra difficulty dealing with the break through pain for that one week. I really do not want to increase the amount of percs I get each month so I would rather run out, which will detox me from the percs a little bit. This way when I get them again, they continue to work.

My question is this, does anyone know the primary difference between the fentayl and the percocet? other than the fentanyl being time released? I know that fentanyl is much stronger than percocet, but how does fentanyl work compared to percocet.., what are the differences?

Thanks for any helpful info.., it is very much appreciated!!!!

Old 09-03-2003, 07:56 PM   #2
Inactive

SFangel HB User
PoloBailey, the fentanyl contained in Duragesic patches goes directly into the bloodstream from the skin where the patch is applied. Fentanyl bypasses the gastro intestinal system. Its absorption does not depend on a well functioning GI tract.

Percocet is, as you know, an oral med. The absorption of all oral meds depends on a well functioning gastro intestinal system. It is more likely for oral meds to affect the GI tract because percocet does not bypass the GI tract.

I hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 07:57 PM   #3
Inactive

SFangel HB User
PoloBailey, the fentanyl contained in Duragesic patches goes directly into the bloodstream from the skin where the patch is applied. Fentanyl bypasses the gastro intestinal system. Its absorption does not depend on a well functioning GI tract.

Percocet is, as you know, an oral med. The absorption of all oral meds depends on a well functioning gastro intestinal system. It is more likely for oral meds to affect the GI tract because percocet does not bypass the GI tract.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-03-2003, 07:58 PM   #4
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Sorry, same post. I had some problems with the computer.

[This message has been edited by SFangel (edited 09-03-2003).]

Old 09-03-2003, 07:59 PM   #5
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Computer problems again!

[This message has been edited by SFangel (edited 09-04-2003).]

Closed Thread