It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2003, 07:54 AM   #1

ingabelle HB User
Post Opiate constipation - need advice!

I am taking Vicodin and am experiencing the forst constipation of my life. It is unreal. I am so bloated I look pregant and am so uncomfortable. Fiber does not help, just took some mineral oil and am hoping for the best- but I will never be able to take THAT again- eating oil is nasty! Please keep the suggestions coming cause it's actualy really hard finding any advice about this. My doc is not too helpful at all and I figure the only I way I can get an answer is to ask others with the same problem. I have not taken my meds for 2 days now and am doubly unhappy. This is truly hell and folks just don't talk about their #2's. It would be great not to have to!

Old 09-01-2003, 09:26 AM   #2

susieq03 HB User
Dear Ingabel, I read your post and hope I can help. That is one of the downfall of opiates, contispation. I have a simple cure, but it works for me. I take milk of magnesia(mom), in the rasberry flavor. I take a dosage cup full before I go to bed, and by morning, I have great results. It really cleans you out. I take it about every three days, and take a stool softener every morning. The taste of mom is pretty bad, but it is worth taking. Also, I would suggest taking a fleet enema, if you are really contispated, and then after that try mom. Hope this helped. God Bless,SusieQ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2003, 06:22 PM   #3
Inactive

It's Just Dawn HB User
I second what Susie said. Phillip's is the best because it is stimulant free and won't give you those horrific cramps that Senekot gives you. And it works fast. Mind you, you must take the liquid form. The pills and the chews do nothing for me. But the liquid works within hours and have no cramps!! Good luck!!

------------------
Dawn

Sufferer of chronic pain since July of 2001. Underwent surgery for severe herniated disc in July of 2002. Left with resulting myofacial pain syndrome.

Currently receiving wonderful pain managememnt.

I also suffer from three herniations in my back and have undegone every therapy known to man. Currently I am doing much better with my medication regime.

[This message has been edited by It's Just Dawn (edited 10-03-2003).]

Old 09-05-2003, 01:21 AM   #4
(female)

chriztene HB User
I have this same issue with opiate medications..The constipation is unbelievable being the worst side effect I have since starting oxycontin.

It seems I was able to keep a handle on it for the first 9 months and now I am finding it almost impossible to regulate.

My dr. has suggested the patch as this medication goes right into the blood stream, thus, alleviating some of the constipation issues.

I really do not want to go that route as I dont wish to be medicated 24/7. Additionaly, I tried the patch and had horrible side effects with nausea and sweating...

I would appreciate anyone's suggestions on what you do to keep yourself somewhat regular. Also, do any of you on opiate medication have constipation as a side effect?

Thank You,

Chriztene

Old 09-05-2003, 06:38 AM   #5

ChattyKathy4 HB User
Unhappy

Dear Ingabelle, I have suffered with chronic pain now for over 13 years, and have been thru 7 spine surgeries. I had some mild problems with constipation while on different opiates, but they put me on Methadone last October and it was like I had cement in my body! I suffered with fecal impactions (gross, I know)!, and took laxatives too. My doc told me to try stool softeners, because he said if I take laxatives all the time my bowels will become dependent on them. I didn't care about that,just wanted to not feel like a bloated elephant anymore! Finally, I have found what works for me. The stool softeners I was taking weren't strong enough. I now take 2 sodium free Calcium Stool Softeners 240 mg. each at bedtime. By morning, I go naturally and do not have to strain, which is a no no anyway with all my back surgeries. I buy mine at Rite Aid Pharmacy and get their brand because they are cheaper. They cost a little more than a laxative, but for me I find they work more naturally. I hope this helps. Good luck, and let me know how you are doing.
Kathy

Old 09-05-2003, 08:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User
Boy do I know what constipation feels like. I am also on narcotics for pain control and have tried just about everything to make the bowels work, I've ended up in the ER a few times because of this. I take 2 teaspoons of psyllium every day with lots of water and 2 stool softeners. I also have a prescription for lactulose for the really, really bad days. I did find the patch was the best for not being constipating but I also found it to sedating so I'm back on oxycontin timed release and oxy ir for immediate relief. I see my doc in a few weeks so am going to discuss possibly switching to ms contin as I heard its not supposed to be as constipating. My pharmacist told me that oxycodone (the ingredient in both I use) is in the codeine family and codeine is terribly constipating. Didn't mean for this to be so long but hope it helps as constipation can lead to serious problems.

------------------
Hmm where should I begin?? Crohn's disease, sacroiilitis-crohn's related, scoliosis, spina bifida occulta, chronic myofascial pain, tmjd and migraines. Still waiting for bone scan and bone density test to tell me what else is wrong with me!! Too many surgeries to list!!

Old 09-06-2003, 04:43 AM   #7
(female)

chriztene HB User
If you dont mind me asking, what ended you in the ER? Also, what are fecal impactions and how would you know if you have them? If you have them, is there something the ER can do about it?

Thank You,

Chriztene

Old 09-06-2003, 03:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User
Chriztene, I don't mind at all. The constipation put me in the ER. The only way I know how to explain impacted it when your so plugged up that nothing can move. That is what happened with me. They tried fleet enemas and they didn't work, even tried the yucky ones you have to drink. I had to take 2 of them and about 6-7 hours later it finally worked. The pain from severe constipation can be pretty extreme and because I also have crohns, my risk of perforating my intestines is higher. I don't know what else they would have done if it hadn't worked, surgery maybe. Thank god I didn't have to find out. Hope this helped.

------------------
Hmm where should I begin?? Crohn's disease, sacroiilitis-crohn's related, scoliosis, spina bifida occulta, chronic myofascial pain, tmjd and migraines. Still waiting for bone scan and bone density test to tell me what else is wrong with me!! Too many surgeries to list!!

Old 09-06-2003, 05:37 PM   #9
Inactive

avogadro HB User
Yes, if you become so constipated that enemas do not work, they will do a "procedure" to fix the problem. I don't know if it is considered "surgey" or not.

My 6 year old son woke up screaming one night with stomach pains. I HAD NO idea what was wrong with him but he couldn't walk or anything and I took him to the ER thinking it was his appendix. They did an xray and could see his bowels were impacted. (Yes, I wanted to nominate myself for the "Worlds Worst Mother" award for not realizing that he had not gone in a few weeks and that he was so constipated.) Nothing worked so they took him into the operating room (and under sedation) fixed the problem. I don't want to get too graphic and I don't really know what exactly they did but they manually cleaned him out. Poor baby, he is almost 8 now and still has potty issues since his intestines were so streched out. He still has a hard time feeling the sensation that he "needs to go".

Obviously, his was not caused by any medications. But, I know for sure that they will use this "procedure" to fix the problem if other avenues do not work!

AV

Old 09-06-2003, 05:51 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User
Av that must have been so terrible for your son and yourself to go through. You shouldn't beat yourself up for not knowing. Who thinks to ask their children if they've had a bowel movement? Not me thats for sure. Will he always have bowel issues now? I sure hope not that is such a young age to start dealing with issues like that.

------------------

Old 09-07-2003, 10:11 AM   #11

imthatguy HB User
I use aloe vera to help w/constipation. You get in a natural health food store, or a store that has an herbal section. It's called aloe vera latex and leaf. I think it works great, and aloe vera is good for your body + its all natural. The directions say to take one pill, but if that doesn't do it, you can double up.

Old 09-07-2003, 01:33 PM   #12
Inactive

avogadro HB User
Hopefully he will get better as he gets older. It just stretched out his bowels so much that he has a hard time recognizing the sensation of "having to go" until it is too late. It has been 2 years and he still has the ocassional problem, which can be very embarassing for him depending on where he is. Luckily, he usually has to go at night and we are at home. It has not happened at school yet (crossing my fingers!). He just needs to re-learn the control and everything. I'm hoping it will not be a problem much longer.

AV

Old 09-09-2003, 03:34 AM   #13
(female)

chriztene HB User
I wanted to thank everyone for your helpful replies..I also wanted to ad that I did try the phillips mom. I must say the phillips is much more gentle on my system than the other laxatives.

Constipation is such an issue with opiate use and its so helpful to be able to share with others.

Thank You,

Chriztene

Old 09-09-2003, 03:35 PM   #14

lostsoul15204 HB User
Dear constipated friend, Ask your doc for a product called Miralax, my girlfriend had severe constipation and that is what doc suggested. I have also seen a few posters use it too. It is expensive but doc can give yyou samples like they did for my girlfriend. Good luck and God Bless

------------------
Rick

Old 09-10-2003, 04:58 AM   #15

emu HB User
Miralax yes! Absolutely wonderful. I use methadone which is also very constipating, but with Miralax (1 capful every other night, for me), it's a lifesaver.

Closed Thread