It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2003, 02:56 PM   #1

donniedarko is in pain HB User
Question What do i say to an er doc to get medication?

i just moved to florida and suffer from chronic backpain. i have no insurance nor do i have a personal phyisician. back home in massachusetts i had one and i was on percocet 7.5 for a couple of months and the pain was reduced dramatically. i have a low tolerance for pain and otc's like ibuprofen and naproxem never even got rid of a headache for me never mind excruciating back pain. also i am allergic to ultram and toradol, so if i visit the er and give them this info, i dont want them to think im a junkie or something, i need medication but have no doctor. what can i say to convince the doctor of my legitamcy, and to get a med that works, not a placebo

Old 10-06-2003, 04:02 PM   #2
Inactive

dwpavlik HB User
Cool

You sound as though you have had this problem for some time. So all you need to do is get your medical records to a new doctor or even to the ER doctor and they can make a diagnosis for you and recommend a medication that might work. There are other medications besides opiates that can relieve pain. If they work for you it is well worth the try to get rid of the pain with them. So be up front with the doctors and let them know where they can get copies of your records. You will get the help you need.
Don

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2003, 09:03 PM   #3

chrpps99 HB User
Hello
Welcome to the Boards...
It sounds like you have an ongoing back condition.
I think the best thing you could do.. is get a copy of your medical records unless you already have them. Then you need to find a Dr in your area that is willing to see you and treat your back pain. Bring your medical records with you so that the new Dr has your medical history, and the medications that you have been on and then he can treat you accordingly. If you have to go to the ER cause you are in severe pain, maybe you could at least give the ER your former Drs name and they maybe able to get enough of your records to treat you.. As far as the medication you mention not working for you. Just let them know that you have been prescribed these meds before with no relief, or if you have had allergic reactions to any specific medications make note of them when you fill out the paper work. I personnally wouldn't ask for any medication by name..That makes you look like a drug seeker. IMO..However, if they ask you what you has helped you before then I would tell them. Well this is about all the advice I can give you.. I hope that it has helped you some. Wishing you some pain relief real soon.
Take Care
Sonya

Closed Thread