It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2003, 01:47 PM   #1

buschmandy HB User
Post Could Use Some Advice

Well, hello. I have been reading so many of the posts on this board and I am amazed that there are people out there feeling like I am. I'll try my hardest to explain things without being long and drawn out. I started having pain in my outer hips and lower back about 4 or 5 years ago. Up until 2 years ago, I just coped. The pain did not prevent me from living. Gradually the pain worsened. When the pain stopped me from participating in my childrens lives, I decided to seek help. I saw my family doctor in late 2001. He was convinced my pain was caused from a female proplem. He sent me to my gyno, who did test and found I had many cysts and endomitriosis. He opted for surgery 2 days after Christmas 2001. He removed what he could and during this time he prescribed Percocet 3 X a day and this did not control my pain enough to become as active in life as before. Since my pain was in my hips, he sent me to a bone doctor. The bone doc could not find anything on x-rays and he did not want to continue to prescribe the Percocet, so he ordered a CT scan. The CT scan showed a significant narrowing of my spinal cord and canal, so he referred me to a neurosurgeon. The neuro didn't think to much could be wrong because I was so young (30). He did a MRI and it showed 2 buldging discs on L4 and L5. He put me on Oxycontin 40 mg 2 x a day and referred me to a pain management doctor to get injections to numb certain areas. I got incredible relief with the Oxycontin. When I saw the PM doctor, he did NOT want me taking Oxycontin, however, I refused to be taken off of it until whatever caused the pain to begin with was fixed. I did not want to be left out of my kids active life again. After numerous injections, the PM doc said he could not do anything else for me and sent me back to my neurosurgeon. The neuro ordered one more test, which was a disk-o-grom. My PM doc did the test in his office and I could tell during the test he was amazed at what he was seeing. Two of my disc were not only ruptured but gone. He had made me feel like this was in my head and he did not believe anything was wrong until that test. The neurosurgeon scheduled me for a fusion surgery. I had that on October 24, 2002. My pain was worse after surgery, even a few months down the road. Three months after surgery the doctor said it was time to quit taking pain meds even though I had told him numerous times that I hurt, I was not better. I never agured and always thought the doc knew best, but now I knew I was in pain and something was wrong and there was no way he could just say I was better and take me off my meds. When I got up the nerve to tell him how I felt, he sent me to a shrink. He told me to see the shrink and if the shrink told him I was really serious about my pain he would continue my meds and treatment. Well, I cried because I felt like a liar and drug addict. WHY DIDN'T HE BELIVE ME????? I went to the shrink and talked to him for 21/2 hours, he told me I was really in pain, I was NOT a drug addict, I did not abuse my meds. and he said he would not only send a report to my neuro but he would call him as well because he saw no reason for me to be in there talking to him, when I was better I would let my neuro know. I went to my next appt. with the neuro and he said it looked as if I would need to be on my pain meds (Oxycontin 40 2 x daily) for awhile and he was referring me to the PM doctor again. Well, the PM doctor could care less what any shrink or doctor said, he was taking me off of my pain medication. Which he has done. Now here I am! I hurt worse than before and I want to find out what is wrong and be better. My PM doc said if I was older, he wouldn't mind me staying on Oxycontin. What, because I'm now 31, I don't deserve pain relief? What do I do? I have been made to feel like a druggie, so much so that I'm afraid to speak up anymore. I was once a wonderful active mother and person. My boys are my life and it hurt's so bad not to be able to sit in the bleachers or hunt or take them out on the horses or 4-wheeler. They are my life and when I had my pain medication I could do that stuff. I still felt the pain, but it was tolerable. Am I a druggie for that? What do I do? I apologize for the length of this, but this is the best way I could explain everything. Thanks so much for listening!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2003, 02:34 PM   #2
Inactive

NeedANewHead HB User
YOU havent done anything, just got caught with a bad doc in my opinion.
Please go back to your surgeon and tell him what happened and ask for a referral to a new PM. Hopefully he will be compassionate and do this.
Perhaps your PCP would be willing to treat your pain based on your surgeons and the shrinks report?? my PCP treats my pain..and its pretty common nowadays for PCPs to do that.
Good luck and please keep us posted as to what happens.
I will pray for you.
PLEASE dont believe you are an addict in any way shape or form. These docs have really done a disservice to make you feel that way. I have been made to feel that way before too so I know how you feel. I bet most of us on this board have also.

Old 10-06-2003, 08:03 PM   #3

buschmandy HB User
Thank you for your response, NeedANewHead. I know I am not a drug addict but I can not seem to convince my doctors of that. I thought when I had to see the shrink (I don't mean shrink in a negative way, just not sure I can spell the proper name) and got a report that explained I was in honest pain and not pill seeker that everything would be better. My surgeon is the one who ordered the evaluation and the one who sent me back to the PM doctor when he found out I honestly required the Oxycontin. He refused to prescribe it to me anymore. I think he was so sure he would find out I was a drug addict and abuser. When he found out the opposite, he decided to wash his hands of me. They wouldn't even do any more test, except the required X-rays to be sure the fusion is fusing, to find out why my pain was still there and worse. Then the PM doctor says NO MORE MEDS and started tapering. I try to tell him how misreable I am, how I can not be the person and mother I know I can be while I have this pain. His cure for the pain is working out in the gym 5 to 7 times weekly. I have exercised, but get real, who can work out every day at a gym with 2 boys? I have honestly tried everything they have suggested, except the gym 5 to 7 days a week. There are not any more PM docs in my town and my PCP will not prescribe anything stronger than Ultram. I have never been a depressed person and have normally been able to cope with anything thrown my way, mental and physical. But now, I am a wreck. I don't see what is wrong with taking Oxycontin 40 mg 2 x daily if it lets me live and be a mother again.

I'm so sorry about these long posts, but I don't think I have ever realized there are people going through the same thing.

Can anyone suggest how to go about seeing another doctor? If my current doctors think I have no reason for my pain since my fusion, and I'm a drug addict, won't they convey that attitude to my new doctor?

This is a relief to talk to you guys. You know the worst part is my kids are missing out on a great mom and I'm missing out on great kids!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Mandy

Old 10-06-2003, 08:31 PM   #4
Inactive

turtleeni2 HB User
Welcome to the boards
After reading your posts, the only thing I can offer you is a shoulder to lean on and support.

It is awful the way you have been treated. You are in pain and it is not being taken care of with the seriousness that it deserves.

I really feel bad for you and all the rest of us that have been tossed from one doctor to the next and those being accused of being something they are not all the while. It just makes me fill ill knowing people are being treated this way.

Just know that we are here for you and will offer advice and support the best we can to you, ok?

Hang in there!

**hugs**

------------------
turtleeni2

Old 10-06-2003, 08:46 PM   #5

chrpps99 HB User
Hey There,
Welcome to Chronic Pain and all the BS that goes along with it.. I know exactly how you feel, as do many if not all of us here on the board..It is a total shame the way we are treated by these Drs. Like I stated on a pretty recent thread "POLITICS" that play a very important role in many of these Drs and their decision to cut CP sufferers off the medication that they need to lead a somewhat normal life. We all know that we may never be totally pain free. We just want to have somewhat of a quality of life. I know how you feel about doing things with your kids and all. I have 3 boys.

Well it sounds to me like you have the documentation that you need from the shrink (I like you, know that sounds horrible but I can't spell it either)and your surgeon agrees that you need to be on them.. Then it sounds to me like you just need to find a Dr willing to prescribe you the medication that you need. I would contact your surgeon and let him know that your PM Dr is refusing to prescribe them and that your PCP won't prescribe them either, maybe he can help you find a Dr that is willing to help you with your pain.. I was very surprised to find that my PCP Dr will prescribe my pain meds to me. However, he is and OD or DO Dr (Osteopathic). They are alot more caring and seem to have a whole lot more compassion than just a regular Dr. I recently read a thread that stated younger Drs are a little more caring and willing to prescribe meds to patients. I don't know how true that is...
It is a shame that Drs today, aren't up with the times I have read numerous articles and reports lately that are stating things such as if a patient suffers documented Chronic Pain then treat them with Narcotics..Supposedly the authorities are being more lenient etc.. etc.. But then you come on a board such as this and you read many horror stories such as yours.
I really wish you the best of luck finding a Dr to prescribe you the medication that you need. For your horrific back problems..Have you ever tried interviewing Drs..I have never but I have read that is how many people find their Drs. They call the office and request they meet with the Dr to find out if he/she is the Dr for them. And usually they will schedule a period of time for you to meet the Dr and ask them a few questions.. Just a thought...
Take Care
Hope you Get your Meds soon
Sonya

Old 10-06-2003, 11:08 PM   #6

mamaslittlehelper HB User
Hi Mandy, I read your post and felt so bad for you as I, like many others here, have gone through this before too! I am at a point in my pain treatment for TMJ that I am actually considering trying to get off the pain medication JUST so I don't have to deal with this same sort of BS! (I am taking Vicoprophen 7.5 4x's a day and this was prescribed by my family doctor!) My TMJ dentist has been so nasty to me and had me so upset this last apt...he was mad at me because I told him I was still in pain and when I tried to get some information from him about some other ideas I had found on getting relief from my TMJ which was seeing a chiropractor or massage therapist, he said very arogantly "Now why would you want to go see one of them...THEY won't give you any pills!!"...I wanted to cry right then and yell at him, but I kept my composure...I was so upset that I can't really remember anything he said after that, but I have another apt comming up and I don't know if I will even go! No one should be made to feel this way...NO ONE! Especially if the doctors have your xrays right there and know you are in pain! Everyone has a different pain level...some people can take alot of pain and can get by without anything! I say "God bless em'"...but I'm not one of them and alot of people aren't! I understand what you said about wanting to be there for your family and how the pain medication allows you to be at your best...we are of no good to them if we are curled up on the coach with the heating pad constantly! ...Sorry, I'm ranting now, but I have been angry about my own personal treatment from a few docs for awhile now! I agree with what SONYA has said above and would get back to your surgeon and tell him the way you have been treated! I would go through the phonebook and look for other doctors and find some that you might like and set up apointments for "interviews"...maybe your surgeon can give you other referals too?

I sure hope you get to feeling better soon and find a good, caring doctor! Till then please keep us posted and TC!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
(female)

Carkim HB User
Re: Could Use Some Advice

Go to mexico to get your scrips

Closed Thread