It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
Inactive

wirry1422 HB User
Exclamation new pain meds coming out in the us

Just thought i would let everyone know i read an article in a medical journal a few days ago about two new pain medications coming on the market in the next year or so. The first is called palladone. This is a time release pill similiar to oxycontin, but it is made from hydromorphone (dilaudid) instead of oxycodone. There is already a version of this med available in canada called hydromorph contin, but Palladone is the first med made of hydromorphone for extended release in the united states. The other exciting thing is it is a capsule made to last, get this, 24 hours! It will be available in 8,12,16,24, and 32 mg doses made to last 24 hours. The FDA still has to give final approval, but from the article it sounds like it will happen, despite some republicans objections to putting such a powerfull pill on the market. The other med being released is oxymorphone extended release. This will last 12 hours and from what i understand is similiar in strength to hydromorphone, but maybe a little more potent. Along with the extended release oxymorphone, an oxymorphone immediate release pill will also be released for breakthrough pain. currently oxymorphone is only available in a product called numorphan (sp?) which is administered as a rectal suppository only, mainly in hospitals and nursing homes. From what i have read this oxymorphone is more likely to relieve severe pain than an equivalent dosage of oxycodone. So it is exciting to hear that new medications could help those of us who still suffer from inadequate pain relief, or tolerance to current meds. If anyone knows anything more about these meds i would like to hear it. Thanks, have a pain free night everyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2003, 06:58 PM   #2

edmoondust HB User
Thumbs up

hi wirry
its great that they are putting a better drug out for long term pain,i don't know anything about that new med .my pm doc has put me on avinza says it is new and it is for 24 hrs at atime.i'm on 30mgs now but it goes up to 90mg.if u know anything about it let me know.
thanks
edmo

Old 10-07-2003, 07:16 PM   #3
Inactive

wirry1422 HB User
No i don't know much about avinza except that it is supposed to be pretty effective. The meds i posted about are not out yet but they should be in around a year.

Old 10-07-2003, 08:01 PM   #4
(male)

hottrodd HB User
Smile

That sounds really good. Science is always expanding, and it's nice to see they always stay on top of medicine for the sick, and or pain problems in this country.

I am also sure this will be pretty good news for Hockey Crystal and others as well that are currently taking dilaudid. Hopefully if that works for them they can also get on the "NEW" extended version and use that as a BT med, as it should be.

Great news.. I am interested in learning more..

Hottrodd http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif

------------------
* 27 years old, male
*Chronic upper back pain for about 6 years, recently getting really bad, really stiff in the morning takes forever to get going, lasts all day everyday.
*Crackling sounds from rib cage area across upper and middle back when stretching.
* Pain, tightness and burning all day long, usually ranges from a 4 through 9 depending on the day and how my body wants to react. Usually it's at least a 6/7 all day recently, used to be an annoying 3/4 all day, which I lived with but hated.
*Problem areas are mainly around breastbone area of chest, across shoulder blades, dead center upper back, upper shoulders and back of neck. Feels as if it's muscles and bones/joints, possibly ribs.
*Muscles spasms, had a couple that were severe enough to go to ER, felt like I was having a heart attack, pain radiated through upper back to chest area.
*Taking Vicodin 5/500 Soma 350 and Celebrex 200, which also helps somewhat but not to where I am not bothered by the pain, burning, tightness ect..
*Chiropractic 3 years, PT on and off again, all of which produces results that do not last for more than the day I have them.
*Can't remember any trauma I had that would have caused all this. Don't understand how it's getting worse.
*Can't really do anything, lifting, heavy physical ect.. Try and walk and stretch when I can.
*Still undiagnosed and waiting

Closed Thread