It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 04:43 AM   #1
(male)

RockRider HB User
Question Back pain is crippling my life..

So, I injured my back roughly 7 month's ago.... I went to the ER, they told me I had a pulled muscle and sent me on my way. Well, over the next couple of month's it got worse and worse. I finally got a PCP, he ordered X-ray's. They found 2 compressed disc's at L-4 L-5, he prescribed Hydrocodone 7.5 and told me the next logical step was to get an MRI done. I did and they found two herniated & buldging disc's, which were in turn, pinching my nerve's. After seeing this he upped my medication to Oxycodone 10/325, and just like the hydorcodone, did nothing for my pain. I think it goes without saying that the pain through out this has been almost crippling. My work, social life, family life, stress level's and pretty much everything else has went to complete hell. My PCP refered me to a neuro surgeon. Everyone there's first response was to be expected, (we need to operate immediately). While I agree with the fact that surgery is probably the only thing that will "fix" these problem's. Due to
Isurance, fiancial and a long list of other problem's, which I'm curretly working on. Surgery just isn't an option for me at this time. I discussed medication with the surgeon, and after numerous trial and error's, he prescribed Oxycodone HCI 40mg. Now out of all the med's they had given me, this was the only one that gave me any kind of real relief. But, problem's still arose, I was to take two of the HCI's every 12 hour's, and keep on my Oxycodone 10's for BT pain. Problem is, the HCI doesn't last 12 hour's and the 10's do absoultley nothing for BT pain. So out of 24 hour's of the day, I suffer about 11 of them in unbearable pain. The reat of the tinme it's just kind of numbed, but atill very painful. I've discussed this with my PCP and he told me that what I was on was the strongest they made, and it "should be helping". I'm not trying to dispute his professional opion, but I refuse to accept the fact that I have to live everyday of my life in extreme pain until my "wallet" get's big enough to help. I'm at a loss on what to do,I know it could be worse, but there has to be better way's of treating this until I can get surgery. The medication is slightly working, but not for long and it's the BT pain that's really crippling me. Any suggestion's would be greatly appreciated...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
(female)

superspy HB Usersuperspy HB User
Re: Back pain is crippling my life..

Rockrider,

I'm sorry that you are going through all of this and that your medication is not helping you. It sounds like you've tried a lot. I know that money is tight, but do you have insurance? Have you tried physical therapy? I don't have many suggestions besides heat, ice, therapy, meditation, etc. I know how hard it is to be in pain all of the time.

What other medications have you tried? There are so many types of medications including Dilaudid (they just came out with an extended release version called Exalgo ER), Opana, Fentanyl, etc. Maybe a switch is in order. Would your doctor be willing to discuss other options so that you can get back to functioning?

Also, pain medication is of course not meant to take away all of the pain, just to bring it down to a level where you can tolerate it. Usually doctors shoot for a 5/10 on the pain scale.

I live at a constant 7. To me that is great because I'm able to live my life and it was much worse before.

So I would definitely talk to your doctor about other options in regards to meds. I don't mean to pry but have you seen a pain psychologist? They can be great and can help you to manage your pain in other ways.

Superspy

Old 10-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

RockRider:

Everthing you posted, was exactly what I have been through, and THEN some....let me tell you some things just as a warning okay!
I was you in 2004, and because I was in the middle of a semester, I put off surgery until December. By that time I was in a wheelchair and could not walk. People thought I had had a stroke, because I had "dropfoot" so bad I dragged my leg. I used a wheelchair because I was afraid I was going to fall and do more damage.

As soon as I gave my final exams (one week early), I went in and had a micro-D and Hemi Lami. I was 100% better!! YAY it was such a blessing and relief. I still had a bit of pain, and the doc said that was to be expected (for the rest of my life) but OMG, I could so function with that.

Then August 2005 Hurricane Katrina hit and we are basically ground zero (no I'm not in New Orleans, they didn't get hit by the hurricane, their levees failed)!

Because of my Husband's job, he was basically getting water and sewer up and running back on the MS Coast for MONTHS after Katrina. Our yard still looked like it did the day we came back after evacuating.

This dummy decides to try to clean it up herself. I knew at the time I couldn't mop, or sweep, but it never occured to me I could not rake!! Well, I got about a 10X10 ft square started and I felt it! POP!! I damaged the disc above the one that I had the surgery on.

I went back to the neurosurgeon. He did new MRI, and I elected to NOT have surgery at that time, because again, we were in the middle of a semester. I wanted to try to wait until the following Summer and just deal with the pain through my PM doc.

I was doing pretty well, then March 9th, my spine collapsed inward causing Caudina Equina Syndrome. I had been losing the contents of my bladder for a couple of days, not much mind you, and I was getting numb in my "saddle area" the part of your body where if you are sitting in a saddle!!

I was in class on March 9th and boom, lost the ENTIRE content of my bladder...sorry for the TMI....I came home, called the NeurSurgeon, and got the person who answers the phone...told her what was going on, and she said she had an appointment for next week. Now I KNEW that I was in BAD shape, b/c every time I went to the NS he always asked if I was having any trouble with my bowel/bladder. I called 3 times before she finally had him call me.

He sent me for an Emergency MRI, it took the next day to come back and then he called me in on Friday to go over the results of the film. My spine had collapsed pinching that CE nerve causing me to lose control of my bladder.

He walked me up to the surgical suite on a Friday night at 5pm, waited for some blood work to be done, and did a 2 level fusion right then.

My point to all of this is: IF you are going to wait to have surgery, and I don't blame you, I would put it off as long as I can tolerate the pain, please be aware of the CES and it's warning signs. If you start to become numb in the saddle area, or if you start to lose the contents of your bladder, RUN do not walk to your NS, because there is only a 48 hour window before you have permanent damage to that CE nerve and could possibly have to be catherized for the rest of your life!

I do have Neuropathy in my left leg, and can't feel my great toe, and the two next to it, but my bladder works, (and I'm 50) LOL, I can live with a little numbness in my leg and toes, ya know.

PM me if you have any questions. I am a VERY wordy/verbose person. I'm sorry this was so long, but I wanted to warn you of that since you are choosing NOT to have surgery right now. And that is NOT a bad thing. I hope I didn't scare you, that was not my intent either!

Good luck to you, I will put you on my prayer list!

Blessings,
Becky

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 10-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
(male)

RockRider HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspy View Post
Rockrider,

I'm sorry that you are going through all of this and that your medication is not helping you. It sounds like you've tried a lot. I know that money is tight, but do you have insurance? Have you tried physical therapy? I don't have many suggestions besides heat, ice, therapy, meditation, etc. I know how hard it is to be in pain all of the time.

What other medications have you tried? There are so many types of medications including Dilaudid (they just came out with an extended release version called Exalgo ER), Opana, Fentanyl, etc. Maybe a switch is in order. Would your doctor be willing to discuss other options so that you can get back to functioning?

Also, pain medication is of course not meant to take away all of the pain, just to bring it down to a level where you can tolerate it. Usually doctors shoot for a 5/10 on the pain scale.

I live at a constant 7. To me that is great because I'm able to live my life and it was much worse before.

So I would definitely talk to your doctor about other options in regards to meds. I don't mean to pry but have you seen a pain psychologist? They can be great and can help you to manage your pain in other ways.

Superspy
First off, thank's Superspy for responding. I agree, it is a constant battle, I have been on other med's before the Oxycodone HCI, including the Hydromorphone you mentioned. All of them gave me less than satisfactory result's and anoying side effect's, increased insomnia, which was a problem before hand due to the pain, full body itching, ect, ect.
And all of those other med's gave me little to no relief, o a day to day basis, I live with a 9-9 1/2 out of 10 on the pain scale. Until I was prescribed the Oxycodone HCI, and for once I felt "some" relief! Which as little as it was, was a HUGE victory in my eye's, actually finding something that worked. Only problem being, it's supposed to be a 12 hour medication. At best, it last's 6-8 hour's, and I have to wait the full 12, util I take my next dose. At that time my PCP already had me on Oxycodone 10/325, alone they were doing nothing except for very very minor relief, as log as I was lying down and resting, unfortuently I can't do that all the time. So, my NS told me to use them as a BT medication. Problem being, when BT pain as bad as this happens, that medicatio doesn't even touch it. So I'm left with hour's of stabbing pain until I can take my next dose. I brought all of this up with my PCP, and he told me, with that compound 10mg was the strongest IR formula for BT pain they made. Could that be true? He than informed me that he would have to consult with the NS about the medication and get back to me, it's been a week now, and I've heard no response. It just frustrates me that I've fially found a medication that work's, but he's hesitating to increase the dose of IR for BT for some reason, or "according to him" it doesn't get any stronger than 10mg. Surgery is my goal, and yes I do have insurance, but it's not very good. So money is playing a HUGE factor in all of this, and until I can afford it, I'm simply asking him to help me "weather the storm" if you will. Just help me be able to live a somewhat ormal life, without being in horrific pain for most of the day. Maybe it's that he doesn't think the pain's that bad? Or whatever reason he choosing to do what he's doing.. I can only hope he decide's to try to help me so I can work and pay my bill"s before it's to late and I get to far behind. Also you mentioned a pain psycologist? What is that exactly? What do they do? And are they expensive? Thank's again for taking the time to reply. I can't thank you enough, or tell you how much it meen's. Sincearly. R.R...

Old 10-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
(male)

RockRider HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinalMalady View Post
RockRider:

Everthing you posted, was exactly what I have been through, and THEN some....let me tell you some things just as a warning okay!
I was you in 2004, and because I was in the middle of a semester, I put off surgery until December. By that time I was in a wheelchair and could not walk. People thought I had had a stroke, because I had "dropfoot" so bad I dragged my leg. I used a wheelchair because I was afraid I was going to fall and do more damage.

As soon as I gave my final exams (one week early), I went in and had a micro-D and Hemi Lami. I was 100% better!! YAY it was such a blessing and relief. I still had a bit of pain, and the doc said that was to be expected (for the rest of my life) but OMG, I could so function with that.

Then August 2005 Hurricane Katrina hit and we are basically ground zero (no I'm not in New Orleans, they didn't get hit by the hurricane, their levees failed)!

Because of my Husband's job, he was basically getting water and sewer up and running back on the MS Coast for MONTHS after Katrina. Our yard still looked like it did the day we came back after evacuating.

This dummy decides to try to clean it up herself. I knew at the time I couldn't mop, or sweep, but it never occured to me I could not rake!! Well, I got about a 10X10 ft square started and I felt it! POP!! I damaged the disc above the one that I had the surgery on.

I went back to the neurosurgeon. He did new MRI, and I elected to NOT have surgery at that time, because again, we were in the middle of a semester. I wanted to try to wait until the following Summer and just deal with the pain through my PM doc.

I was doing pretty well, then March 9th, my spine collapsed inward causing Caudina Equina Syndrome. I had been losing the contents of my bladder for a couple of days, not much mind you, and I was getting numb in my "saddle area" the part of your body where if you are sitting in a saddle!!

I was in class on March 9th and boom, lost the ENTIRE content of my bladder...sorry for the TMI....I came home, called the NeurSurgeon, and got the person who answers the phone...told her what was going on, and she said she had an appointment for next week. Now I KNEW that I was in BAD shape, b/c every time I went to the NS he always asked if I was having any trouble with my bowel/bladder. I called 3 times before she finally had him call me.

He sent me for an Emergency MRI, it took the next day to come back and then he called me in on Friday to go over the results of the film. My spine had collapsed pinching that CE nerve causing me to lose control of my bladder.

He walked me up to the surgical suite on a Friday night at 5pm, waited for some blood work to be done, and did a 2 level fusion right then.

My point to all of this is: IF you are going to wait to have surgery, and I don't blame you, I would put it off as long as I can tolerate the pain, please be aware of the CES and it's warning signs. If you start to become numb in the saddle area, or if you start to lose the contents of your bladder, RUN do not walk to your NS, because there is only a 48 hour window before you have permanent damage to that CE nerve and could possibly have to be catherized for the rest of your life!

I do have Neuropathy in my left leg, and can't feel my great toe, and the two next to it, but my bladder works, (and I'm 50) LOL, I can live with a little numbness in my leg and toes, ya know.

PM me if you have any questions. I am a VERY wordy/verbose person. I'm sorry this was so long, but I wanted to warn you of that since you are choosing NOT to have surgery right now. And that is NOT a bad thing. I hope I didn't scare you, that was not my intent either!

Good luck to you, I will put you on my prayer list!

Blessings,
Becky

As with the other replie's, I'd like to say thak you so much for taking the time to reply to my thread, this is all very new to me, and I'm very in the dark about all this. But you definently opened my eye's to a lot of information that I had no idea about. Thak you for that, I think I will take you up on the offer of PM'ing you to ask for more info if that's still ok? But until I can, is there anything that helped you with the pain before surgery? Getting surgery is my goal, but until my insurance and my finance's get on the same page, I'm stuck! . So in the meen time I'm just trying to be able to live somewhat of a normal life, be able to work, pay my bill's and not worry everytime I leave the house that my back's going to start to spasm out. I've posted what medication's they've tried me on. All with little to no help until they tried me on the Oxy HCI. While this does work, it doesn't last the 12 hour's like it's supposed to, more like 6-8. The rest of the time, I'm In agonizing pain. The BT medication the NS told me to use, was the same Oxy 10/325 my PCP had prescribed before I saw the NS. And it doesn't even touch the BT pain I'm feeling. I'm at a loss as to what to do, seeing as I brought all this up to my PCP and he told me that as far as that compound goes, 10mg is the highest IR medication they make. That leave's me with trying to find another medication for BT that actually work's.. It took me long enough to find a single compound that worked in the first place. On top of it, I get the feeling that my PCP think's this is something that can be handled on it's own until I get surgery, because as soon as I asked him what my other option's were he kinda shrugged it off, and told me he had to consult with the NS, and get back to me. That was a week ago, and I'm still here fighting with every step not to just sit down and give up. I know this is a little lengthy, but any suggestion's on what worked for you? Or other's you may know, might point me in the right direction. Thank you again for all your input, and I will most likely PM you in refard's to your other comment's made earlier.. Again, thank you...... Sincearly R.R. .....

Closed Thread