It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
(male)

slowmoe1950 HB User
Question new need help

Hello everyone heres the lowdown I am 32 I recently went to the pain clinic because of my back my father went with me where he told them I was a ex drug attic I was prescribed hydrocodene 5/500 which dosent help my pain any I also have hep c so anything with tylenol in it is bad for my liver Now heres my question what medication can I suggest to them or how do I go about getting something that will help me I am just all shook up because They now think I am a drug attic But I am reallly in pain and they dont know i have hep c yet I was reluctant to tell them since my father went with me and he dosent know so I didnt tell them in front of him anyways can somebody tell me how to approach this???

Old 11-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
(female)

Drexie HB User
Re: new need help

Sorry you're going thru this... I have no answers for you, sorry.. good luck w/your situation

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Good Evening Slowmoe,
I'm sorry that you're going through so much pain. It definitely is no way to live.
You've got two problems going on here. First the new doctor thinks you're a former drug addict. Second, you have HepC which precludes you from taking anything with tylenol.
I wish that I had great words of wisdom for you to help you with your first problem, but I don't. Only you know what happened in your past, subsequently you're the only one who can talk to the new doctors and straighten out any misconceptions that they may have.
As far as the second problem, I would try to go to my next appointment without my father. You need to be open with the doctors who are treating you, and with your dad there, you can't be open and honest. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it with your father, but I'd go without him.
If for whatever reason your father must go with you I'd ask him to stay in the waiting room while you go in to see the doctor. If your father insists on going in with you I'd ask him to step out for a few minutes while the doctor is there. If he asks you why, you can simply tell him that you have to talk with the doctor about something personal. Be very matter of fact with your father, and let it go at that.
Please keep us posted on how you're doing. Oh, when is your next appointment with these doctors?
Peggy

Old 11-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
(male)

slowmoe1950 HB User

if they was not going to treat me with the meds i need would they even have started me out on hydros since i didnt have anything in my past being prescribed but tramodol i really am in a ackward possition and am almost scared to go back but if they started me out on something surly they will move me up next time right they said they had to start me out on something smalll since i hadnt been prescribed anything???i told them i had a past abuse of oxycontin and they said they didint write oxys there but they would start me out on something small the dr seemed to be very nice about all this and said it was ok that ive had a past abuse history but i just dont know what to think ??

Old 11-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

look here-

my husband attends each dr appt with me-but sometimes i dont allow him to go into the exam room with me which ticks him off sometimes-he says what are you trying to hide from me? i simply tell him that sometimes he makes me nervous especially when i am in a lot of pain and i forget things i want to discuss with the dr-and then he simmers down- i have told him i am a grown woman and sometime i would like to just speak to the dr alone-but i am certain he remains a little suspicious but i have learned to not let him get to me-my dr explained to me right from the start-your family is not totally going to understand what you are going thru so dont expect them to-and you know what- i finally dont-evan though my husband claims to understand how tough it is to be in constant pain, to suffer so many sleepless nites,etc; i know he really doesnt-but it's because he wants his "old wife back" and that will never happen. so dont feel bad; you dont owe your dad an explanation-just ask him to wait while you go in to see YOUR doctor- and by the way i feel it is vital you tell your dr your complete medical history so he cant treat you accordingly-so dont let dad make you feel bad about going in to see your doc alone

good luck

Last edited by BB07; 11-07-2010 at 11:00 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BB07 For This Useful Post:
slowmoe1950 (11-08-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Hello and welcome,
First, I would suggest that you avoid taking your father into the exam room with you if you are uncomfortable with him being there. The doctor's office staff will ask him to wait in the waiting room if you tell them that you don't want him to go in with you.
Secondly, you really do need to talk to the new PM doctor as soon as possible to let him/her know that you shouldn't be taking tylenol and about the hep C. Are you currently under treatment for that with another doctor? If so, you need to let both doctors know that you are being treated by the other so that they can coordinate what meds would work best for you with your medical problems.
It sounds like you already have a particular medication in mind that you are hoping that they will prescribe? If that is the case, I hope that you will keep your mind open to trying other means to help control the pain as well since the doctor may not want to prescribe certain medications for you , for various reasons. The hydrocodone isn't providing any relief at all? Usually most pain meds will provide some level of relief, even if it is not exactly what we feel it should be. There are also many other ways to help bring pain levels down - ice, heat, excercise, physical therapy, heating pads and heat wraps, topical medications like Aspercreme and Icy hot also help alot to relieve muscle tension and some pain as well, injections into the injured area with steroids also often help relieve pain, and accupuncture as just some of the many other options available to you. Keep your mind open to trying these other possibilities, you might be pleasantly surprised at how much relief you may get from trying these as well as pain medications.
The doctor will prescribe what he or she feels are the best options in medications for you, given your medical history and current physical problems.
Have you had any testing done yet to determine what is causing the pain? He may prescribe physical therapy, or xrays, MRI's , CT scans, emgs to test nerve function as well.
There are also nerve pain medications that are commonly used to treat pain caused by damage to the nerves, which are not narcotics but are really effective at treating that type of pain, which doesn't usually respond well to opiate drug therapy anyway. They also commonly use anti depressants since many of those also have the added benefit of easing nerve pain really effectively.
Anyway, good luck, I'm sure that the doctor will do what ever he/she feels is the best when it comes to treating your pain. I hope that you feel much better soon.
Back

Old 11-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
(male)

slowmoe1950 HB User

First and formost thank you for your reply....

I have had xrays and mri's done but it was about 6-7 months ago and the pain has gotten worse now all I had to show my pm dr was the report on the mri the mri film and my xrays are in little rock arkansas and I am currently in TN......The pm doc looked at the mri report but basically said I may need another mri and all that which sucks cause I have no insuranse at all they did start doing nerve conduction test on me and am scheduled to have more when I go back Can anybody tell me what they can find out from those things? I do know this my pain has gotten much worse over the last cple months so It really concerns me... I printed out me some pain diary papers and am currently doing thoses ever day because i cant keep track of my pain.... Im not really pushing for a certain medication I just wont to be outta pain and Im concerned that with the pm doc knowing i was addicted to oxys I might not get the care I need but maybe I willl anyways thanks for all u guys input I appreciate it deeply....

Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
(male)

slowmoe1950 HB User

and as far as the hydros providing any relief id say they brought my pain from a 8 to maybe a 7 no significant difference

as always thanks for all ya guys input

Old 11-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Hi Sloe,
The doctor can order another MRI, and you may be able to get it done through your local hospital, although it may take a little longer. The hospitals have reduced fees for medical care for the uninsured, so you may still be able to get the MRI or CT scan or xrays if needed. They usually start with xrays first and then proceed from there.
You asked what an emg can tell the doctor? It can show if there is nerve damage and how extensive it is. It depends on what they are looking for, but it is a test that is commonly done if the patient's exam shows that there may be some impingement or compression somewhere. There are two parts to the test, one part is done with a tiny needle, inserted into the muscles at different points along a nerve's pathway to see how long it takes for the signal from the spinal cord to reach the nerve and how it effects the muscle. The second part is done to see how fast and accurately the signal from the spinal cord reaches the end of the nerve pathway and to see if there is some slow down or compression somewhere.
In PM, there isn't any such thing as pain free, but they want to reach a level where the person can function with a tolerable level of pain- usually about a 5-6 on the pain scales they use. Those levels are the ones that mean that the remaining pain can be treated with things like motrin or tylenol , along with whatever other pain treatments they are giving you.
It really helps to have reasonable expectations of what pain management can do for you, and what you and the doctor feel is a "tolerable" level of pain that lets you function in your activities of daily living, yet usually has some residual pain that can be managed by taking supplemental tylenol or motrin, or using some of those other ways of managing pain that I mentioned.
Did you call the doctor to talk to him about the hepatitis c? You really don't want to take meds that have tylenol in them if you aren't supposed to due to that medical problem. You could wind up doing some real damage to yourself if you do take meds with tylenol if you shouldn't be......
If you call your other doctor that manages your hep c problem, they may be able to talk to your PM doctor and come up with a safer medication for you.
Take care,
Back

Old 11-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, just so you know, although I'm pretty sure that someone else may have mentioned it, you can call the place where you had the other MRI done and they can send you a disc of the MRI films or the films themselves and the report. It usually costs about 15.00 around me to have that done.
Back

Old 11-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #11
(male)

slowmoe1950 HB User

I had the disc of the mri The doctor didnt even wanna look at it is this weird?????????????????????????

Closed Thread