It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
(male)

rp71 HB User
From Oxycodone 15 to MS IR 15

Hey guys and gals,
I just joined and this is my first post so bare with me please.

I'm a vet that got blown up in the middle east. I've been taking Oxycontin 60 3x a day and I was taking oxycodone 15 7x a day.

Today I went to my PM doc and was told that they are no longer making oxy IR 15s, so he switched me to MS IR 15mg.

Now Morphine doesn't do much for me, in the hospital after a while they switched me to Demerol as a result. I had 3 blocks plus 100mg of demorol every 3 hours.

I've been reading a bit about MSIR and I'm learning that MSIR is not as strong as the oxy 15mg IR.

If this doens't work what is a good replacement.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: From Oxycodone 15 to MS IR 15

Get the oxycodone in another strength and make it up or down to 15mg (for example one and a half of the 10mg pills or half a 30mg pill)

Some people adsorb morphine quite badly, so it doesnt work well for them by mouth, you might be one of them. If you know Oxy works, then I'd stick with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
(male)

rp71 HB User

I can't use oxycondone any more. They no longer make it. its coming off the market.

You're right about morphine. A day ago I couldn't breath and had very shallow breathing so I'm not taking it anymore either. Right now I'm taking more of the oxycontin to make up for it.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp71 View Post
I can't use oxycondone any more. They no longer make it. its coming off the market.

You're right about morphine. A day ago I couldn't breath and had very shallow breathing so I'm not taking it anymore either. Right now I'm taking more of the oxycontin to make up for it.
Ok i am confused, i called my pharm and 2 others and they said they have not heard that and they have them, so i dont understand how ur dr can say they arent making oxycodone anymore when noone else knows. maybe he doesnt want to give it anymore ,i take oxy 30 ir, so i was worried that is why i called the pharm, did u ask your phram if they are taking all oxcondone off the shelfs? one of the pharm i called said they didnt know cause they never carrried the 15 but the rest did, all had the 30mg

Keep us posted kelsey

Last edited by kelsey1; 11-12-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Oxycodone hasnt been withdrawn, its a widely used drug, made by many different companies.

The particular product you used (Oyxcodone tablets 15mg) might have been withdrawn, but there are many others to choose from.

For example, your doctor could prescribe Percocet 10mg/325mg, and have you take one and a half tablets of this to get your 15mg.

Speak to your regular pharmacist, I am sure s/he will have some ideas about the best way to get 15mg of IR oxy (I am in Australia, so am a bit vauge about the differing products on the market there)

Oxycodone is such a fundamental drug, its withdrawl would be like saying penicillin is no longer on the market, it just wont happen

Old 11-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
(male)

rp71 HB User

yeah, my pharmacy confirmed what he said. As a matter of fact they said they tried to make an order and had very limited amounts.

What state are you in?

R.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Ask them about Percacet - that is oxycodone with a small amount of acetaminophen IThlenol) added - that would be the most sensible substitute if plain IR Oxycodone is no longer avaliable.

You can get it in tabs containing 10mg oxycodone and 325mg of Acetaminophen.... 1 1/2 of these would give you your 15mg of oxycodone plus the equivalent of 1 extra strength Tylenol, a relatively insignificant dose.

I am in Adelaide, South Australia.... have you visited down under>

Old 11-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
(male)

rp71 HB User

based on what you just told me, I called my pharmacy. You're right its not that they don't make them anymore it that they are in short supply and will continue to be until the end pf the year.

I'm seeing my doctor on monday so I should be able to get a script.

What a PITA!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

Hi
I live in ky all3 pharm i called had 30 and two had the 15 they also said that oxycondone would not go away may be just hard tgo find, i go to same pharm that makes sure they have mine every month,. So hopefully u can just tell the dr they r still here and get back on that dose or maybe the 30.

Good luck and plz keep us posted kelsey

Old 11-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
(male)

rp71 HB User

I'm gonna ask my doctor to give me the 30s. This way if the pharmacy is running low I can cut them in half and still have enough until the script can be filled.

Thanks for the info, it was very helpful.

R.

Closed Thread