It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
Opiate Comparison Chart

Very interesting comparison of various Opiates and their strengths relative to Codeine and Morphine...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg OpiateCompare.jpg (74.1 KB, 60 views)

Old 11-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
(male)

jverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB User
Re: Opiate Comparison Chart

This chart may help some people, and is certainly going to be of use to doctors who may be unfamiliar with the relative strengths of the various drugs. It is important to realize that the actual effectiveness of any given painkiller depends on a lot of factors. What works for one person may not work for another, even if they have exactly the same diagnosis and are alike in every other aspect. Also, pain meds often have very different mechanisms of action, so a drug that relieves pain by reducing swelling may have no effect on pain caused by something else. In these cases, relative strengths are useless.

Finally, many comparisons of pain-killer potency are derived at through theoretical models and/or animal testing (like the "tail flick" response in rodents.) These comparisons do not often translate well into human experience.

As long as the limitations of the chart are expressed and understood, it may be useful for people. It is not my intent to criticize anyone for posting such information, but to make sure that the practical limitations are understood. Too often I've seen people refer to such information and say things like "You're taking too much medicine." It can be disheartening and frustrating for pain sufferers to hear.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Opiate Comparison Chart

The Oxford Pain Site's Analgesic Leauge Table is perhaps more usefull.... it leauges analgesics based on human tests of post operative pain.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Closed Thread