It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Oxycodone Vs. Percocet

Ok I know this topic pops up every now & then.
I desperatly need some relief here & my insurance does not cover any LA meds besides MS Contin. Which I can only take a low dosage or I have massive headaches. Tried it 3 times so give up on increasing my LA med.

So I am considering asking to switch from Percocet to plain Oxycodone so I can increase my dosage. Once again my insurance only covers the 5-325 of Percocet. I have been on this med for years & its just not as effective anymore. I don't like all the Tylenol I'm taking in either.
Yet the one time I was on Oxycodone I do not remember getting as much relief.

I'm wondering if I manage to get an increase of Oxycodone will it work as well without the Tylenol? I know I can add it if I feel the need but I really don't know how effective Oxycondone SA or IR it compared to Percocet, any opinions?
I want to ask my PM at my next appointment as I'm on a lot less meds with this insurance change & Ive held on as long as I could. I'm really having problems & need something here.

I'm hoping this will also cut back on the amount of meds I need to function. More relief with less meds would be nice. So any opinions on one vs the other?
Thanks for you time. Appreciate it more then you know.
God bless, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User
Re: Oxycodone Vs. Percocet

It's odd that you said you didn't get much help from the straight oxycodone. It shouldn't much different w/o the tylenol. Maybe he can bump the oxycodone to 7.5 or 10 and see if it works any better now. Don't know what else to tell you and sorry about your insurance. I hate that insurance plans run the doctors these days! My Best to You!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Sammy,

I've used both and couldn't tell much difference. Right now I'm using the percs but only because I ended up there after the shortages in 2009. The only reason I haven't gone back is that we did a dosage adjustment to 7.5 at the same time and it's more convenient this way. I'd guess you will be fine on the straight oxy, but if you need to you can add some Tylenol.

Tigg.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

The safe limit for acetaminophen is 4000mg per day (12 of the 5/325 tabs you take)

325mg of acetaminophen would have almost no pain releiving effect, to get that you need 650 to 1000mg.

So, plain oxycodone shouldnt be much different.... but, you could safely take 2 of the 5/325mg tabs 4 times a day and still be well within the safe doseage limits, or of course change to plain oxy in a higher dose, and add a couple of tylenol as needed.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 11-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I switch for a period of time from oxycodone/APAP 5/325 to oxycodone 5mg (with no tylenol) and I had the same pain relieving effects. The addition of the tylenol seems to have to positive or negative effect on my pain. For some reason, my doctor is still prescribing the oxy/apap though so that is what I am taking. The straight oxycodone is available in generic though, so I can't imagine why your insurance wouldn't cover it.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Sorry I should have added I take x2 5-325mgs per dose.
So I'm on the 10-650mg, I was on the 10-325 until my insurance would not cover the 10mgs anymore. It was several years ago when I was on the oxycodone, before my fusion so maybe it would be more effective now.

I'm allowed 4 doses a day also. I'm just not getting enough relief. I was on a much higher dose before my insurance changed so Ive been living with this pain & trying to make the best of it.
It changed the way I do everything. Barely go out & dread any shopping or even social events. Harder to get out of bed, actually get up appox 2 hrs later then before the med change.
I just scheduled an MRI for saturday so we'll see if there the reason for my pain levels show on film. I went almost 2 yrs without anything appearing on film but when it did they found a mess when it was time for surgery. Don't trust all these tests but what else can we go by.

I have to try something or go crazy.

Thanks for your help.

God bless & wishing you all a happy Thanksgiving. Sammy

Old 11-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Oh sammy. This neck doesn't leave us alone for one second. What a curse.
I've been trying so many medications and it's so hard to treat this neck pain.

I think you noticed here I've started taking Topamax. I'm trying to find something that FINALLY WORKS without increasing all the time. I can tell you I'm on 50mg a day. I've already noticed LESS pain. I'm really worried cause Topamax has lot's of severe side effects. But I can PROMISE YOU IT WORKS. But when It comes to neck pain you never know. Lyrica never worked for me. Lyrica was not that STRONG for this SEVERE neck NERVE neck pain. ok;;;and then there was gabapentin which I still taking but it's not enough for severe neck pain Sammy. I'm still taking it (for sleep and pain) 1200mg a day. But gabapentin doesn't CUT it.

Looks like Topamax CUT it. THat's my experience so far. I've been on it for only couple of days. As you know, Oxycontin helps also the neck pain. But you need to increase and increase due to tolerance issues. I've also been on trileptal which made me sick and made my pain worse.

I just don't want to pay the price of those horrible side effects of Topamax. I see how it goes. I also as you know have pain inside my head, left side.

Also, Clonazepam, helps neck pain. But it's addictive. We all know that. Every insurance company covers clonazepam.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks No Change, I was on Oxycontin & we had just found the right dosage when my insurance changed. This insurance does not cover much. Lots of short acting but one Long acting & thats it. It does even cover the patch & my PM could not believe that one. He never seen an insurance not cover the patch. My husband is so upset he may apply for a new job after the new year in part because of lack of coverage for my condition. I don't want him to do anything because of me.

I'm not sure what either of these meds are that you have mentioned so I'll look them up. My PMs have never brought them up & they went over & over what would help with this insurance change. Although I have a lot of nerve pain also & multiple problems. Still I'm better off then many others & I know that. Its just really getting to me. Especially the headaches. I'm anxious to see if this MRI reveals anything new.

Maybe its me but I think there some kind of change in the medical field. Doctors are more careful in what they prescribe & to whom. My PM stated he would have to screen much more & have proof of injury to prescribe any meds.
Ive tolerated this drastic cut in my meds for some time now & am constantly telling myself its mind over matter here but I'm exhausted & really tired of not being able to accomplish much. I would so like to have part of my life back.
I don't think anyone gets how much you have to suck it up & live with it.
Ive done such a good job my family & close friends are not getting how I pushed myself through the pain. Could not move the other morning, Kind of stuck in the fetal position & my husband had to physically roll me over so he knows I'm struggling here.

I desperatly need more control, especially in the mornings. The only good thing to come out of this is I know I'm strong but it gets exhausting so I'm throwing my arms up in defeat & asking for some kind of change with my meds. Even if surgery is needed I have both the lumbar & cervical so I better find something that I can function with.
Thanks for the suggestions & I'll look into them. You have a darn good doctor & he tries hard to keep you out of pain. I'm happy for you & pray some day soon you'll get the relief you need & some answers.
Sammy

Old 11-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

How much would it cost to buy higher dose tablets, either with acetaminophen or without, from the pharmacy for cash, without your insurance being involved?

If you go for a generic, it might not be prohibitively expensive, and it might be worth the cost if it gives you the relief you need.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Sammy, We spoke before and had similar situations regarding our health insurances changing. I was on Oxycontin before I switched to Kaiser, and I didn't know until it was too late that they don't pay for Oxycontin. Long story short, there was nothing else to try except Methadone or Fentanyl Patch, and Percoset for BT. I tried Methadone first, but had hallucinations and had to stop. So, I had to try the only thing that was left-Fent Patch. He started me on 25 with Percoset 3x a day. Did not cover pain at all. So he increased to 50, and lowered? Percoset to 2x a day. That's where I'm at now. This isn't covering my pain well enough either, and does not even touch parts of my back that the Oxy covered really well. Not to mention the 25's were recalled-same manufacturer,town,factory!! I became aware of the recall after I was on the 50's though. But I do worry about this issue. Like you, I am suffering greatly. My husband cooks, cleans and works over 60 hours. I merely exist. I have FBSS due to scar tissue and a host of other problems in my back, and SI Joint issues as well. I'm sorry I made this about me-I knew I would do that!! Anyways, I think you should go with the Oxycodone IR because you can increase as needed. It would be hard to do that with the Percoset because of the Tylenol. I am talking about as you need to increase it over the years, not the day. I can't believe your health insurance doesn't cover the patch? That is odd. Re:Topamax, You might want to ask your doctor about it. I'm on it for peripheral neuropathy and it works well. I also noticed after I had been on it for a few weeks, that I hadn't had one headache in all that time. Still don't get headaches. I use to get migraines years ago, but I don't think Topamax was available then. I used Imitrex and that worked great. I hope your MRI goes well tomorrow. Hope they use contrast dye, unless your allergic. Sorry that this was soooo long, but I just wanted you to know that I kinda know how you're feeling...janiee

Last edited by janiee08; 11-27-2010 at 01:37 AM. Reason: forgot something

The following user gives a hug of support to janiee08:
sammyo1 (11-27-2010)
Old 11-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

John, cost to much pay out of pocket as we pay out of pocket for one of my meds as it is. Everything is so expensive its a shame.

Janie,
I'm so sorry to hear you still have not found something to bring you relief.
You can't take the MS Contin? I think I mentioned I have a friend who can't take the new formula of Oxy so her doctor put her on MSC & she seems to like it. I'm stuck on the low dose but some seem to do very well. Simply amazing how much difference a good med can make.

I feel the same way, have not had near the quality in my life since I lost the Oxy. Then again with the change we may have not done as well either you know? Its a shame how many are suffering because of those who use for the wrong reasons.

I was thinking the other day we hear about abuse of meds & ODing but we never hear anything about meds that are used for chronic pain. If a TV camera would have been in my room the other morning people would understand why these meds are so needed by CPers. For the life of me I could not move & not moving so hot this morning either. I'm on my second melt down here since getting out of bed. The pain is to much to take some days. I totally get what your saying. I get so angry as Ive said over & over we don't let our animal suffer here but we let humans? Makes no sense.

If I can't raise the LAs then I have to consider raising the SA & can't do that with the Tylenol, I'm nervous enough about the amount & how long Ive been on it.

I'm going down hill pretty quickly here with both the Cervical & Lumbar.
The MRI is today but not contrast, I know I should have asked but it took me so long to get the order I did not want to push anything else. Once again thanks to this insurance.

Have you considered going to the short acting oxycodone Janie? At least the dosage can be adjusted to try to gain more control. Something has to be done or I'm going to end off my feet. It makes me so sick to my stomach I'm afraid of tossing my cookies .

I hope both of us find something that will bring better control.
God bless, Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 11-27-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Sammy, MS Contin was the very first LA pain med I tried. I just couldn't stay on it due to the extreme nausea. And I'm not one to easily get nauseated. I will either have to stay on the patch and ask for an increase in BT;Percoset or OxyIR, or totally convert to Percoset or Oxy IR. I don't think that I can totally convert my dosage of Fent Patch to Percoset safely?...not sure due to the Tylenol, and I'm not sure how many Percoset's my insurance will pay for-I think there's a limit. This whole thing is just crazy!! I wish I had known to look at my insurances formulary before I signed up. My youngest son has asthma and an allergy to peanuts. His new inhaler and Epi-Pen look like toys-their so cheap looking!! Anyways, I see my NP next Tuesday, so I'll see what she comes up with. Hope your MRI go's well and they can get to the bottom of what's been bothering you. Keep strong...janiee

Old 11-28-2010, 11:47 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

You could try taking the MS Contin along with an antinuseant (meclizine for example, 25mg twice a day with the MS Contin) - of course, this would need your doctors ok - its pretty common practice in hospitals.

Any chance you could change insurance companies again?

Last edited by jonnstar; 11-28-2010 at 11:50 PM.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:46 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thats to bad, but then again I can't raise my MSC either. I wonder if there is a dosage of OxyIR that would give us near the relief we had from the Oxycontin?

Ive been in bed since the MRI with huge amount of pain in my cervical & lumbar.

For the life of me I can't figure out whats wrong. Both at the same time seems crazy. Headache with pain radiating down my right arm & legs that had the pins & needles would not allow me to stand for long all day Sunday.

This morning I woke up with a huge amount of pressue in my back, upper & lower but more so at the bottom.
Pain going down the back of my legs & can barely pick them up to walk.

I too have an appointment this week but if this does not improve today I'll have to call.
I noticed PMs seem to prescribe Percocet over straight Oxy, I wonder why? I'd rather try it & add the Tyl. myself, at least I'm able to conrol the amount I'm taking per day. Gosh I hope it works as I'm out of options with this insurance.
I think I'll email my PCPs & let them know whats going on,perhaps they can rush that MRI some. What a mess.

If anything I know how you feel & I hope we both find some better control soon.
God bless, Sammy

Old 11-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

I think IR oxycodone in the US is avaliable in tablets as strong as 30mg - that should be a satisfactory sunstitute for virtualy any dose of oxycontin.

Trying the MSContin wint an antiemetic might be worth a try, speak to your doctor about it.

Closed Thread