It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
(female)

bedwards HB User
Questions about different types of morphine

My husband is being given three types of morphine. They are

Morphine IR

Morphine ER

Morphine CR

I am having a hard time keeping them straight, I am the one that gives him all his meds.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
(female)

LuvMyPittie HB User
Re: Questions about different types of morphine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedwards View Post

Morphine IR

Morphine ER

Morphine CR

I am having a hard time keeping them straight, I am the one that gives him all his meds.
Why is he taking 3 types of Morphine ? I take Morphine Sulfate ER and CR .. ER extended release and CR controlled release.. Not that that is the way prescribed, its what the pharmacist gives me , I guess depending on shipment. IR is Immediate release... Im thinking perhaps this is what u are meaning by he is given these 3 ?? And not written all 3 ???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:

Morphine IR

Morphine ER

Morphine CR

Well the ER and CR are Long Acting forms of Morphine for strong or chronic pain, and the IR is an instant release for for break thru pain, basically flareups that occur in between doses of your LA pain meds. One thing that is very concerning is, are you saying that he is taking both the ER and CR at the same time???

Old 12-04-2010, 04:23 AM   #4
(male)

Brokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB User

Quote:

Morphine IR

Morphine ER

Morphine CR

What is your question, specifically?

Is it just what each one means? In what order to give them?

It is against the TOS here to link you to a page with that information or even cut and paste the info in a post. What we can do is suggest an internet search engine and typing in the name of the medication, then reading up on it from the links provided.

If you're not sure, though, I wouldn't be asking these questions here - I'd be calling the doctor and asking him or her to give me the answers I was looking for.
I think you'd be far better off (safer) that way, imo.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Take all the pill bottles to your friendly pharmacist and ask him to review them...... it would seem strange to be taking ER and CR morphine at the same time, i think you need professional advice ASAP

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 12-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
(female)

LuvMyPittie HB User

Thats exactly what I was saying !! ... and trying to see if perhaps he was getting CR and ER from same pharmacy , just depending on month and batch pharmacy gets .. if that makes since

Closed Thread