It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
Actual Numbers. Alcohol + Opana ER

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY. I AM NOT A DOCTOR, NOR DO I PLAY ONE ON T.V. I HAVE SEEN DOCTORS IN REAL LIFE, AND WILL SEE ONE TOMORROW. THESE ELABORATE CALCULATIONS ARE A RESULT OF MY UNDIAGNOSED OCD. I ACTUALLY DO NOT EVEN TAKE THE DRUG......YET.

~ Opana ER Interactions with Alcohol ~

8 ounces of a beer at 4% alcohol can double the Plasma concentration (Cmax)of Opana, which is the equivalent of raising a 10mg dose to 20mg, or raising a 30mg dose to 60mg.

2 ounces (big shot) of 80 proof alcohol can increase the Plasma Concentration (Cmax) of Opana ER by 70%, which is the equivalent of raising a 10mg dose to 17mg, or raising a 30mg dose to 51mg.

8 ounces (4 Shots) of 80 proof alcohol can increase the Plasma Concentration (Cmax) of Opana ER by 260%, which is the equivalent of raising a 10mg dose to 36mg, or raising a 30mg dose to 108mg.

READ READ

Information from Opana ER FDA Label/Opana ER Insert.

"Oxymorphone may be expected to have additive effects when used in conjunction with alcohol, other opioids, or illicit drugs that cause central nervous system depression because respiratory depression, hypotension, and profound sedation or coma may result. An in vivo study examined the effect of alcohol (40%, 20%, 4% and 0%) on the bioavailability of a single dose of 40 mg of OPANA ER in healthy, fasted volunteers. The results showed that the oxymorphone mean AUC was 13% higher (not statistically significant) after co-administration of 240 mL of 40% alcohol. The AUC was essentially unaffected in subjects following the co-administration of OPANA ER and ethanol (240 mL of 20% or 4% ethanol).

There was a highly variable effect on Cmax with concomitant administration of alcohol and OPANA ER. The change in Cmax ranged from a decrease of 50% to an increase of 270% across all conditions studied. Following concomitant administration of 240 mL of 40% ethanol the Cmax increased on average by 70%, and up to 270% in individual subjects. Following the concomitant administration of 240mL of 20% ethanol the Cmax increased on average by 31% and up to 260% in individual subjects. Following the concomitant administration of 240 mL of 4 % ethanol, the Cmax increased by 7% on average and as much as 110% for individual subjects."

Last edited by Isotope; 12-06-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Actual Numbers. Alcohol + Opana ER

This must be the most stupid drug delivery system ever made - Sudafed 12 Hour cold capsules retail for 10 dollars and dont experience dose dumping after alcohol, I'm sure they could formulate a prescription drug costing hundereds without this occuring.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 12-05-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

J-Star,

All of these various delivery schemes (Exalgo system, Oxy CR system, and the Opana ER 'Timerx' system) exist, I suspect, mainly do to abuse factors in the marketplace.

Oddly, the general theme is that they dump half their payload 1-2 hours after taking them, then they dump their remaining payload in 5-7 hours later. I had always assumed that it was a more finely measured stream of drug being delivered constantly...... Guess not.

I was however very interested in doing some myth-busting as far as the real effects of alcohol on blood serum levels.

As expected, if one is taking a low to moderate daily dose of Opana (5-20mg range), and the person is otherwise fairly healthy with good liver function, then small amounts of alcohol will not cause the person to drop dead!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

There are vasickly two types of time release mechanisms

- The one developed by SKF, the spansule, which slowly disolves ove a period of hours, and the repeat action tablet, or Repetab develped by Schering, which has an outer layer which disolves instantly, and a coated core which disolves 4-6 hours later.

Some (such as Oxycontin) have a mixture of both actions.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Closed Thread