It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

hmj211 HB User
Baseline joint paint and now Fluoxetine-related pain around lower back/kidneys?

I'm sorry if I souldn't be posting it here (I'm posting this on the kidney troubles and depression boards as well).

I have been on antidepressants for 10 years --from fourteen until now.

I was on Zoloft until three months ago, 50 mg a day. I was out of it for a few days and the joint pain in my back, neck, feet, knees, all over...was so bad I couldn't bend down.

I was on Accutane for about 2 years as well and that also contributed to the joint pain, I think. Now I'm on spironolactone/Aldactone, an androgen-suppressant (more kidney-related stuff)?

In the past two weeks or so, I've started feeling a hot, aching pain in my lower back, and lesser but still noticeable pain knees, thighs, feet, place where the neck and head meet, and forehead, and the pain seems concentrated in the lower back...where my kidneys are, roughly. Thudding pain there. And I'm producing more mucus, some with blood in it when I blow my nose (that might just be the cold temperatures)...enough that I can't breath comfortably through my nose.

The first time I noted it, I thought it might be set off by stress and that I was basically having a physiological reaction bad enough that I could distinctly note it (first time ever).

My eyes have been more bloodshot than usual...jaundice?

I had difficulty explaining the new phenomenon to my psychiatrist; when I mentioned everything written here, he attributed it to stress. Either he didn't understand or he honestly doesn't think (or know about) that there is a link between Prozac/Fluoxetine and these kidney/muscle/joint pains that have developed in the last two months.

I am on 10 mg of Fluoxetine, 5-10 mg of methylphenidate (Ritalin), 50 mg of spiro, and the pain is centered in my lower back/kidney area but pulsing up the back, all the way up to the base of my neck and down to my heels.

I've taken Ibuprofen and it's not helping...it usually does the trick (about 50% of the time, at least).

Can someone give me advice? Have any of you experienced this before? Should I go to a urologist or something? Someone actually suggested drinking cranberry juice or taking tablets--is that pointless?

My father has had kidney stones himself, before. And gout. I don't think those problems are genetic, but if anything apart from diet contributes to those things, it might be worth noting. (He was on a somewhat fatty, wine-laden diet at the time. He is not overweight but required heart surgery and

The pain is bad enough that I feel like the bones carrying my weight when I walk or stand (neck, legs, bottoms of the feet) are hollow. It's been like that since I was on Accutane, and it's not getting better even though I'm no longer on it.

I do not smoke, drink or take drugs other than what was listed here (and maybe caffeine).

I know all antidepressants have side effects, but Iím beginning to think Iím in that minority of people who have more serious problems.

I tried getting myself of Zoloft (from 100 mg to 50 mg to nothingÖor taking 50 mgs two days a week) over the course of six months, and it was emotionally excruciating, so I had to get back on them, so withdrawal is a concern for me, too.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
fluoxetine, kidney, pain, prozac, side effects