It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
(female)

JNMJJM HB User
I want info on gabapentin/neurontin during pregnancy?

I take 600mg 2/day and want to add to family. I want to know outcomes or opinions on taking this during pregnancy.....PLEASE?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: I want info on gabapentin/neurontin during pregnancy?

You'll have to ask a pharmacist and physician for information on this. Often pharmacies can provide you a print out of the medication guidelines, when it should not be used, etc. None of us here are qualified to comment on medication and pregnancy as we are all just your peers going through treatment for medical problems that require medication, but we aren't qualified to provide pregnancy related advice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

I would think the best person to ask would be an obstetrician if you have one yet, if not, a gynecologist or your family doctor...janiee

Old 02-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Not only that, there are meds that can be taken during each tri mester that won't affect the fetus. They gave me valium for my first trimester with both of my boys because of my back. But only for the first tri mester. Do seek out your OB or your Pharmacist...or your PM Doc.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
(female)

Imperical HB User

Hey there,

It's stressful thinking about meds and pregancy, isn't it? You don't want to be in pain because that's not good for the baby but treating it can be risky too, or even if it's not, you still have to deal with the guilt. Sometimes you just have to accept that not being treated for your pain would be worse for you and the baby than taking a medication.

I can tell you what I went through but other OBs might be different. I have suffered from chronic pain for a long time now and have taken neurontin for nearly as long. Before getting pregnant I weaned off neurontin (I was trying to do this anyway to see how I would cope) but I wasn't doing well so I found a very good pain management neurosurgeon who would work with my OB. Neither of them were comfortable with neurontin due to a range of things, especially during the first trimester. The safest anti epileptic for nerve pain during pregnancy was tegretol - there are very few adverse events recorded and I was assured that we could avoid potential problems by taking an increased dose of folic acid - 5g instead of 500mg. Unfortunately I couldn't take Tegretol so have been taking low dose Endep (amitriptyline) which works almost as well, helps me sleep better and is very safe. I am now almost 14 weeks pregnant and all my scans show a very healthy bub so far.

I wish you the best of luck. My best recommendation is to find a good pain management doctor that will work with your OB (this can be expensive) and also a pediatrician as these are they doctors that deal with the bubs who've been exposed to dangerous meds. Between the 3 I've found that they are very supportive, hypervigilant and never, ever make me feel guilty about my situation. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Fingers crossed for a healthy pregnancy soon!

Imp

Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Interesting discussion thread. Fascinates me in a way. I can't imagine having kids when a chronic pain patient. We made the decision at marriage not to have kids purely due to my spine history. Syrgery in 1993 and married in 2001 (recent knee surgeries at the time). We knew there was a chance id need more surgery and I was on no pain meds at the time. Didn't want to put kids through an ailing parent if at all possible. So I made sure to get a tubaligation.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
(female)

Imperical HB User

I can only speak for myself, SpineAZ, but whilst having kids was a tough decision for me, it was a very easy, and important one for my partner. I've had 3 major neurosurgeries and one other major surgeries. Whilst my cervical surgery fixed 100% of my pain, the thoracic surgeries, unfortunately did not. I do worry about having a child and not being able to be a complete parent but we are relatively financially secure and can afford help on and off should it be necessary. I will likely always need pain medication but that's unlikely to affect them - unless they should swallow the whole lot!

I can respect you not wanting to have childeren and I would, perhaps, have made the same choice with a different partner. If we were financially unstable we also would not have childeren. However, it was important to me not to simply be a 'chronic pain patient' and we worked very hard to get this far - IVF and pain are not a good combo either. I'm very excited and although I know some days will be very tough indeed, I can't wait to meet this little person.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Hello imperical. welcome here. That is VERY interesting. Who is this doctor who fixed your neck pain?(cervical pain) 100% pain free. Everywhere I read it says neck surgery does not fix 100% of the pain. In fact, it will not fix the neck pain, that is what my orthopedic surgeon told me. Here in our forum, I have never met anyone who was cured of this neck pain.

Could you PLEASE tell me. Were you had a whiplash? you had herniated disks caused by the car accident and that is why you needed surgery?

That will be interesting to hear from you.

Thanks

Old 02-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

With neck problems/fusion you have to be very careful with natural delivery and pushing as the way you bring your head forward to push puts strain on that area. I have a friend with no history of neck pain who developed a cyst near the cervical spine from 3 deliveries in 5 yr. Each was a long labor and strenuous delivery

With lumbar issues pushing is risky in another way as you put stress on the area of disc problems/ fusion.

I was told early on L5-S1 fusion no hardware in 87 age 20 and L4-S1 in 93 with hardware) that my only option was c-section and bed rest last trimester if not longer.

I can't imagine now going off my meds for 9 months with the added stress of what pregnancy can do to the body. That's bravery in my eyes.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

There are some pretty specific warnings about becoming pregnant while on Gabapentin on the spec page.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #11
(female)

Imperical HB User

Nochange, thanks for the welcome, I have been about before but not for a while. My surgery was done in Australia. My neck injury was a C5/6 herniation with whiplash. I also developed a numb and weak forefinger and thumb. Since my surgery I've had zero pain and the strength in my hand has come back - although my fingers are still numb. I consider myself very lucky that that surgery worked so well. Have you had any surgery on your neck?

SpineAZ, thanks for the info, I hadn't really considered my neck to be honest. I'm trying to avoid a cesar as I've had my abdominal muscles cut before and it is hell on my back having no abdominal support. Pregnancy does make pain worse, no question, but there are safe meds and even meds that are 100% safe - opioids being the only ones, if they're used carefully. I have weaned off most of my meds but still take what I can't get by without, I'll wean further before the birth so that the bub doesn't go through withdrawals. I'm not brave, by no means! I just didn't know it would hurt this much, but I'll get through it and my meds can come back onboard afterward.

Neurontin is generally safe during pregnancy, there are safer alternatives. However it does depend on the OB and PM. You really have to do your research.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:25 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Hello Imperical. No, never had a surgery on my neck. I had a whiplash and MRI showed 2 bulging disks. Surgeon said they do not do surgery on bulging disks.

I do not have any numbness ans hands and fingers are ok. It is only severe neck pain 24/7.

I was just wondering who was this surgeon who "fixed" your neck pain?. Neck pain usually NEVER goes away. That must be a miracle. What his name, so I start writing notes.

Oh, did you feel severe neck pain after this whiplash?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #13
(female)

nupur12 HB User

I think you have to consult to a physician. He will give you a chart and you have to follow that rules.

Closed Thread