It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User
opana is failing me an having alarming problems

prior to this pst 2/4/11 i was prescribed oxycontin 60mg 3 times daily w 15mg oxyir for bt(4 DAILY prn)-well oxycontin is not on my new ins formula so my doc changed me to opana 40mg 2 a day and said opana is twice as strong as oxycontin and also changed the oxyir 15 to percocet 10-he said you may not feel so good for a few days but give your body time to adjust;well 1 n 2nd day seemed ok but i did notice increased pain and had to take the percocets for some relief-i have now been on the opana for 8 days and pain unbearable,ankles and feet have swelled-and the most alarming-pain is very bad-i have lost control of bowels and bladder-i am very scared-my back radiating thru buttocks n legs pain unbearable-have herniated disks w tearing annulus and something else cant recall,what is happening to me? my ins pays for other LA meds besides opana-like kadian,avinza,duragesic patch n some others-but the severe pain has affected my bowels and bladder n i'm not sure that is why but i'm afraid it is-i know for one i need to change the opana-really suffering, please comment on this dire situation

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
Re: opana is failing me an having alarming problems

Opana is working well for me; a few tips that may help.

TID schedule seems to be needed for most of the LA meds available since they just don't last as advertised. My Opana regimen is 10mgs/TID.

1) Take Opana ER TID
2) Take Opana ER with food, and/or Fish Oil.
3) Take Opana ER with Hydroxyzine which acts as a good adjunctive.
4) Switch to Opana IR or generic Oxymorphone, TID (The ER release mechanism has been an issue for some people).
5) It will take some time for your BPL to get sufficiently elevated due to Opana ER low bioavailability, hang in there if you can.

When I took OxyContin I noticed much more 'drama' after the dose -Amped-up, some euphoria, dizzy, loopy. Opana ER was very low drama and I was convinced it wasn't working (not to imply you are not in pain). My point being, if you are a regular Oxy user, Opana will feel like a let-down if you are accustomed to the Oxy drama.

Also, might see if your insurance covers Levorphanol Tartrate (Levo-Dromoran), "The Forgotten Opiate". Currently it is affordable, long lasting, and potent. Theraquest is working on an ER version that will be available late this year, it will be expensive.

Good Luck~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

actually i was gla to be taken off the oxycontin-no euphoria-but too much anxiety and severe insomnia-it was awful but i didnt complain because it i help pain --but the side effects(anxiety-severe-constantly very nervous-i grew to hate oxycontin cuz i am certain it was the culprit-so you think i should keep on the opana or change to the generic ir(?)but pain not decreasing-how long til my body would maybe accustom itself to the biovailibility-is that rt?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

BB-

You are technically still in the titration phase with Opana, meaning you need to find a dose that works. The IR versions will give you a more accurate measure of how much Oxymorphone it's really going to take to get a good response. If I were you I would continue to increase the dose and frequency until the pain is at a level that you are happy with....

If you end up at a dose that is beyond your previous Oxy dose, and you still aren't happy with the quality of the relief, then call it quits with Opana. For me, I felt nothing for almost a week, then doubled my dose one evening out of frustration and boom -it seemed to kick it into gear and start working. Hydroxyzine also acts as a catalyst to initiate a more potent onset of action.

Agreed though, OxyContin made me nervous wreck, just a mess. The Opana was a welcome change.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

BB,
If you are having difficulty controlling your bladder and or bowels, you need to be seen by your PM doctor or your surgeon immediately. That could be Cauda Equina Syndrome, along with the increased pain levels through your buttocks and legs alarms me. Are you also having increased numbness or decreased sensation through your inner thighs, or buttocks? If any of these symptoms are what you are experiencing, you need to either go be seen in the Emergency Room and let them evaluate you , or you can call your surgeons office right away. It may have nothing to do with the change in pain medications and everything to do with a worsening of your condition/herniations. If it is Cauda Equina Syndrome, there is a very, very short window to get the nerves decompressed before the damage can become permanent. This is nothing to fool around with or wait to see if it gets better, it is something that needs to be taken care of now.
Please call your PM or your surgeon and do it today.
Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB07 View Post
prior to this pst 2/4/11 i was prescribed oxycontin 60mg 3 times daily w 15mg oxyir for bt(4 DAILY prn)-well oxycontin is not on my new ins formula so my doc changed me to opana 40mg 2 a day and said opana is twice as strong as oxycontin and also changed the oxyir 15 to percocet 10-he said you may not feel so good for a few days but give your body time to adjust;well 1 n 2nd day seemed ok but i did notice increased pain and had to take the percocets for some relief-i have now been on the opana for 8 days and pain unbearable,ankles and feet have swelled-and the most alarming-pain is very bad-i have lost control of bowels and bladder-i am very scared-my back radiating thru buttocks n legs pain unbearable-have herniated disks w tearing annulus and something else cant recall,what is happening to me? my ins pays for other LA meds besides opana-like kadian,avinza,duragesic patch n some others-but the severe pain has affected my bowels and bladder n i'm not sure that is why but i'm afraid it is-i know for one i need to change the opana-really suffering, please comment on this dire situation

The Following User Says Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
BB07 (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 01:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Call your doctor, now, and dont stop calling until you get to speak to him.

Your doc is right about opana being twice as potenr (roughly) as oxycontin, and the small drop in your oxycodone dose shouldnt cause such alarming reactions, maybe some mild gastrointestinal upset and a mild malaise for a few days, but not this.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 02-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

i have been in denial n already know in back of mind i shoul go to er probably-the inability to control bladder n bowels is scaring me-but it never happened before, now with the onset of this severe pain not controlled by the opana is when it started-i am afraid they might admit me for surgery-i dont know if i should wait and see if it stops-how long should i give it-severe pain is making it happen n i cant bring it down evan by aing the percocet 10

The following user gives a hug of support to BB07:
Isotope (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User
Wink Re: opana is failing me an having alarming problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope View Post
Opana is working well for me; a few tips that may help.

TID schedule seems to be needed for most of the LA meds available since they just don't last as advertised. My Opana regimen is 10mgs/TID.

1) Take Opana ER TID
2) Take Opana ER with food, and/or Fish Oil.
3) Take Opana ER with Hydroxyzine which acts as a good adjunctive.
4) Switch to Opana IR or generic Oxymorphone, TID (The ER release mechanism has been an issue for some people).
5) It will take some time for your BPL to get sufficiently elevated due to Opana ER low bioavailability, hang in there if you can.

When I took OxyContin I noticed much more 'drama' after the dose -Amped-up, some euphoria, dizzy, loopy. Opana ER was very low drama and I was convinced it wasn't working (not to imply you are not in pain). My point being, if you are a regular Oxy user, Opana will feel like a let-down if you are accustomed to the Oxy drama.

Also, might see if your insurance covers Levorphanol Tartrate (Levo-Dromoran), "The Forgotten Opiate". Currently it is affordable, long lasting, and potent. Theraquest is working on an ER version that will be available late this year, it will be expensive.

Good Luck~
hey
I was wondering how eating and take fish oil would help with this pain med? I always heard it is better to take meds before you eat it and that would make it work better. But i have never took the med in question, would this be the case for all pain meds? I take oxycodone 30 mg. Thanks in advance for help me underdstand.
kelsey

Last edited by kelsey1; 02-13-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Opana is a lipid soluble compound that is absorbed and metabolized more efficiently when a fatty meal is taken.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Go, now.

Worst that can happen is that it does turn out to be some sort of withdrawl symptoms, and they tell you to ride it out. But you need to rule out some serious problem. You could have developed some problem at the same time as the drug switch, that it totaly unrelated to your meds, and which needs treatment, or you might need a a bit more narcotic for a few days, but whatever, you need to be assessed by a doctor, not us hypochondriacs on an internet medical board!

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Please call your doc NOW or go to the ER NOW, losing control of your bowel/bladder functions is not something to be taken lightly.

As for your meds, 3 months ago I switched from Oxycontin 80mg/day to MSContin 90mg/day. The transition was incredibly smooth and the pain coverage has been good an constant. I use Percocet 10/325 for BT pain up to 6/day PRN and Ibuprophen 1600mg/day. I also use Voltaren Gel which is a topical agent and Lidoderm pads. Just wanted to share with you my regimine and let you know that it works well and has for years. And I've also run the gambit with meds and therapies and surgeries, etc.

Good Luck, Kat

Old 02-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

iso-give me an example of some fatty meals-i always eat yogurt and granola,cereals,dried fruits-so tell me some good fatty meals you take with or is it before your me dose?

Old 02-19-2011, 01:55 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Definitely don't start eating poorly just for Opana. I'm just sharing what I have found in the internet-ether.......

A fatty meal would be anything normally considered unhealthy like a burger, fries, and a milkshake. Cheese, meats, Oils etc...

If Opana flat-out isn't working at this point -then I doubt a fatty meal is going to kick it into gear to your satisfaction. If Opana is sort of working, you will need to increase the frequency (t.i.d, q.i.d) since you are already taking the highest (40mg) single pill dose.

There is also generic Oxymorphone that is immediate release.... Perhaps the Opana ER TimeRX release mechanism isn't working for you.

How are you feeling?

Old 02-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #14
(female)

superspy HB Usersuperspy HB User

Hi. How are you doing? Have you told your doctor about loss of bladder/bowel control?

If you have not, please do, as it could really be something serious.

Closed Thread