It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
(female)

beccky04 HB User
Exclamation Percocet and Beer?

Hi,
I was given Percocet for pain due to a miscarrage. I do know you are not supposed to drink while taking medications that include acetaminophen, but I am wondering, how harmful it actually is?? I'm a beer fan, and I like to have one or two after I get home from work (no, I am not drinking to try and suppress emotional pain due to the miscarrage.).

Do you have to be binge drinking for it to be harmful? Does the acetaminophen have to build up in your system before hepatoxicity occurs? Thanks for the answers!

Last edited by Administrator; 02-17-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Percocet and Beer?

How much APAp are you taking per day - I am guessing it would be below 4000mg per day?

You can safely enjoy 2 drinks ( 2 beers, 2 glasses of wine) even at the maximum dose of 4000mg per day, and the dose people usualy get with Percacet is lower than this, so I dont think a couple of beers would be an issue from this angle.

Be aware that alcohol and narcotics = getting a lot more drunk on 2 beers than you usualy would, so be aware, dont try and drive or cook with a pan of hot fat or whatever after drinking

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
(female)

beccky04 HB User

Yes, I'm taking under 4 grams daily. My script is 5/325 1-2 tablets every 4 hours for pain.
Yeah, when I get home I usually just watch trash tv, or play with my daughter, so I won't be doing anything dangerous. Thanks for the info!!

Old 02-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Just be cautious the first time you try a drink with it - you might find that you need to go and sleep it off if you are particularly surceptiable.

I am quite resistant, I can take tramadol + codeine + xanax + a glass of red wine and still be lucid and in control, where as some people can be put into a deep sleep by a couplee of painkillers and 1 drink.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
(female)

beccky04 HB User

Oh yeah, I've done it before and I do okay with it, physically. I was just worried about damaging my liver. I have a low tolerance to pain and a high tolerance to pain killers. Luckily, my doctor actually listens to my requests, unlike some.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

The FDA recomends that you dont take APAP if you regularly consume more than 3 drinks a day.

If you restrict your self to a couple of beers, and if your APAP intake is only short term and at less than 4000mg per day, you should be ok.

How many percacet have you been taking a day, and for how long?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #7
(female)

beccky04 HB User

I take about 6-8 tablets a day, and yes it's only short term until the cramping from my miscarrage subsides. I've only been taking it for 2 days.

Closed Thread